“Great seafood, very good service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anchor and Hope

Anchor and Hope
83 Minna St, San Francisco, CA 94105-3003 (SoMa)
415-501-9107
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Anchor and Hope is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #643 of 4,525 Restaurants in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Second Street
Transit: Montgomery Station for Bart and Muni riders.
“Great seafood, very good service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

What a great little find in the alley. Fabulous seafood (oysters and mussels) along with traditional seafood fare and the like. I had a spectacular whole fish that was cooked to perfection. So typically fish is overcooked (several times on this trip) - but not here! Light, flaky, fresh, and delightful. I highly recommend the food and wine here...all for a fair price in the city. Bravo!!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

St Andrews
“Great little find - good food - great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Had been in town for a couple of nights and had been recommended this place and couldnt fault it in anyway.

Great buzz and it was busy so best to book in advance I would say.

Food was really good (battered flounder was fabulous) and was fair value for seafood but the best thing was the service. Waitress (Fiona I think) is a real star and made the night all the better.

Will be back the next time I am over and will recommend to others as well.

Dallas, Texas
“Birthday Dinner for 8”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our hotel made the reservation and it was an excellent choice, walking distance and great food!

The service was excellent and a great selection of wine a beer! The food was amazing, try the lobster roll and the oysters!

Visited March 2013
Toronto
“Recommended by the hotel... overall decent.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel concierge as our first option did not take reservations. My partner and I had come back from a day trip to Santa Cruz / US 1 Hwy drive and we both quite tired and wanted a bite to eat that was seafood. The restaurant was actually quite hard to locate but there was a sign on the sidewalk giving us a bit of direction.

The design/decor of the restaurant was neat with incorporating the sea and ocean liner feel. The business card was cute so be sure to take note of it.

We both had appetizers and then main entrees of the following: calm chowder, oysters, lobster roll and halibut. The food was okay ... not the best meal of my life but decent. I would be expecting a bit more considering the place is featuring seafood but it could have been the things I ordered. The lobster roll lacked flavor, but the halibut/chowder was good.

Overall I would visit again but maybe not for dinner but perhaps a lunch?

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rockwall, Texas
“Good but not for the budget conscious traveler”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We went late at night and the atmosphere and ambiance was young, hip, fresh, urban and casually chic. The food was fresh and delicious. I don't remember what I had because I am writing this review more than a year later, but I remember loving it AND being hungry when I left (we were eating on the cheap). I know we had at least two bottles of wine that were spectacular but the bill was nearly $200 for three of us. Thankfully my friend who brought us there paid the tab because this was way out of my budget at the time. If isn't outrageously expensive but it is definitely more than a Red Lobster budget. But if you have the money, then it is absolutely worth experiencing because it is delicious and as fresh as you could hope for. The beer and wine selection was extensive but this is not some low-class bar. Great place to hang out with an expensive bottle of wine and enjoy the night.

• Visited March 2012