“Great find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anchor and Hope

Anchor and Hope
83 Minna St, San Francisco, CA 94105-3003 (SoMa)
415-501-9107
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Anchor and Hope is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #642 of 4,523 Restaurants in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Doing business, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Second Street
Transit: Montgomery Station for Bart and Muni riders.
Gold River, California
“Great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Hidden in an alley, this is a great seafood restaurant located in an ols warehouse. Fun atmosphere together with a delicious menu.

Visited October 2012

Edmonton, Canada
“Food was fine, NOT outstanding; Service below average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Came here for dinner on the recommendation of our hotel concierge. Interesting building and decor but very uncomfortable chairs and table. Did not feel "cozy". Felt like we were in a big warehouse cafeteria dining with tons of other people. I agree with many other reviewers' comments that the service was below average. We kept having to ask where our waiter was and had to ask for bread and water etc. etc. We had a bottle of white wine and they kept it - not with us - but at the bar. So every time we wanted a top up, we had to track our waiter down to get him/her to bring us the wine. It was really annoying.

The food was fine but it was not outstanding. With so many other great seafood restaurants in San Francisco, I would not rate this as one of the better ones. Would probably not come back here as have tried others that are much better. In addition, if you need a cab to take you back to the hotel, good luck - very difficult to get a cab where it's located.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Monrovia, California
“Fabulous Oysters and draft beers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

After a two days of walking a mile back and forth to Union Square meetings and dinners, I wanted to stay close to my hotel on Second and Folsom and rest my feet.

Anchor and Hope was about 300 feet down the street from my hotel, tucked into Minna Street, one of San Francisco's charming alleys. It's been said that these alleys of SoMa, including Minna St., were named for Gold Rush-era prostitutes (or maybe mistresses of City officials) living in the City at the time. Next time you pass Clementine, Jessie, Natoma, and Minna streets, salute those gold rush era ladies!

Now, on to the restaurant. I walked in alone on a Wednesday night at about 7 p.m. and saw there were plenty of seats at the bar. Anchor and Steam has such a great draft beer lineup it took me some time to order. When I did (Lost Abbey Brewing Co. "Red Barn Ale" Justin, the bartender gave a little nod, which I took to mean, excellent choice. (it was)

Ordering oysters couldn't have been easier. 6 to choose from, 3 west coast, 3 east coast. So I ordered a plate of all 6. When they arrived, I asked which were which, and was told, "clockwise from the lemon wedge, first 3 are the west coast, followed by three east coast oysters. With a menu in front of me, it was easy. They were all so tasty, brimming with oyster liquor, that little bit of sea water found in the shell of fresh oysters. I hated to even use the mignonette, as I feared the delicate flavor would be overwhelmed. I left the cocktail sauce and grated horseradish. It would have overwhelmed these delicate oysters.

I asked Justin if a different beer would be better with the oysters, and he said the Red Barn Ale was drinking paired really nicely with the oysters. The Scrimshaw Pilsner would be ok, "but stick to the Red Barn Ale". So I did!

I didn't order anything else off the menu. Popular items are the Angels on Horseback, bacon wrapped oysters with remoulade ($14) Lobster Roll ($25) local fresh dungeness crab ($32) Oysters are an acquired taste so I understand the need to cook them and hid them under bacon or tarter sauce, but I've earned the Oyster Badge, and like the raw best.

My Red Barn Farmhouse Ale set me back $7 and 6 oysters set me back $19. The two cheapest ones Lil' Skookum, WA $2.25 and Fanny Bay, BC $3 were my favorites! So I had another of each. And another Red Barn Farmhouse Ale :-)

I'll definitely return for another set of oysters!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, IL
“Disappointed in Food & Wine review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were looking for a great seafood restaurant in SF and A&H was noted as a top spot. Boy were we disappointed. Yes, the angels on horseback were delicious, but everything else was just off, except delicious bread. So, the meal started well, and then went downhill, particularly as our server basically never even came back to check on us, and it wasn't crowed. Maybe she was irritated that we weren't drinking. Nice room, but as they were kind of empty even when we left, why did they put the two of us at a little table abutting a pillar, when there were plenty of open four tops? Just not the attention to taking care of the customer that you would expect at these prices. And oh, my daughter got ill basically towards the end of the meal, and she is a foodie who tries things constantly. Wouldn't recommend. Although the guy pouring the water was great! He came back all the time.

Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Great out of the way seafood restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Intersting menu, highly recommend the lobster roll, the raw bar was excellent as well. Good wine list

Visited November 2012