“Steer clear!!!” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   700 Jones Street, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Downtown)   |
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Steer clear!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Myself and my friend were travelling round the states on a budget and this hotel seemed ideal. On our way there from the airport we noticed that the area looked a bit dodgy so we were worried. When we arrived we had to lift our heavy suitcases up a massive flight of stairs because there was no lift. We checked in and were told the room we had booked had a broken door, so if we could get it open we could stay there! I tried but to no avail, so we had to climb another 3 flights of stairs with our suitcases. When we entered the room we were shocked, there were stains on the wall which looked suspiciously like fecal matter( i am not kidding) and the room absolutely stank! We immediately decided we couldn't stay here for a whole week so I went online and booked another hotel around the corner. My friend and I had to share a double bed, and we slept in hoodies and tracksuit bottoms on top of the duvet because the sheets were filthy. I hardly slept because I was bitten all over by bed bugs, literally from head to toe, it was disgusting! We got up the next morning and literally ran out of the place, and on walking two blocks to our new hotel we passed 2 homeless shelters and a lot of dodgy people hanging about. When we checked in to our new hotel they were shocked that we had walked there and told us not to do it again as it was unsafe!! We were two women travelling alone and it was pretty frightening! Also we only paid about 50 dollars more for our new hotel which was absolutely gorgeous so you can get a bargain without compromising on cleanliness and comfort. I am deadly serious when I say avoid this dump at all costs it is a health hazard!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Business
Orange, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Listen, everyone. My self and three of my buddies went to go see the Niners play the crappy Raiders and we needed to find a place last minute and ASAP! The Hotel Krupa was far from the list. We couldn't find anything on this hotel or reviews so we threw a hail mary and stayed there for 40$ bucks a night. We loved it there. It was right in the middle of everything and the lady was very nice. However, it was me and three dudes. I wouldn't recommend it to a couple or someone checking out the sights on San Fran. It was perfect for guys going up there to get wasted, get chicks, and needed a place to lay their heads. I didn't dare sleep in the bed and if i did, I didn't get in the sheets. Im going again in 2011 for the Niner/Steelers game and am definitely staying here again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Listen, I'm going to be frank. Surely, anything is better than this. I saw the city workers cleaning the sidewalk.. and I can assure it is cleaner than this place. I now know why San Fran has a high suicide rate. I now know what poverty feels like. It's smells, you're surrounded by bugs and you feel like a rundown schmuck. Oh and don't worry about setting your alarm clock, the fire trucks will wake you up on the hour ever hour... can the walls get any thinner?

Stay away and avoid at all costs. It's just not worth it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
brooklyn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Please don't stay here unless you want to: pay for a double sized bed but get a twin for two people, not sleep because its so loud and filthy, have your legs covered in bed bugs (seriously), experiance the dirtiest room you could ever imagine, smell an assortment of horrid and unnatural smells covered by curry, possibly get a disease from taking a shower. If you are interested in these things this is your perfect spot and you can get them all for the low price of $70. Stay at the encore express around the corner, it's cheaper, cleaner and you wont leave with puss shooting out of your bed bug leg wounds. I sadly couldn't be more serious and i hope this helps, krupa should be shut down.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Lisabird89
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

I stayed at hotel Krupa and found the aroma of the hotel to be really smelly as I walked in the door. The first thing I did after a long flight was walked down to the shops and bought cleaning products to wash the walls cause they were dirty and to get rid of the smell in my room. I found the shared bathrooms were cleaned on a daily basis.
The room was provided with one double bed, a fridge and a tv and I felt safe at the hotel.
If you're looking for somewhere cheap, place to sleep and close proximaty to union sq and public transport than krupa is the place to stay. If you're looking for luxury, then keep looking.

• Liked — It was cheap and in close proximatey to everything
  • Disliked — It was smelly
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

This place is cheap, relatively to other places I found in San Fran, but it really is true that you get what you pay for.

It was dubiously clean around the edges but at least the sheets seemed clean, the pillows a little manky but clean cases. I expect to find roaches, but I didn't at all.

The showers and toilets are shared outside the rooms.

Being on the corner of two central city streets, its quite noisy but not terrible.

Ok for rough and ready cheap very central city stays.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Krupa? Share your experiences!