“Tasty local spot.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ike's Place

Ike's Place
3489 16th Street, San Francisco, CA 94114 (Castro)
(415) 553-6888
Neighborhood: Castro
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
“Tasty local spot.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I knew about Ike's but no one in SF knew about the place before we went. I asked several people about the location, but they had never heard about it. I can't remember the name if the sandwich I ate but it was delicious. It had chicken, cheese, pesto, and a few other ingredients. The thing that makes the sandwich clutch is the bread. So good. I'd consider myself lucky if I had the opportunity to frequent Ike's often.

Head to Bi-Rites afterwards and grab some ice cream for dessert.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sydney, Australia
“The Sandwich deserves 5 stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I give it four stars because there's nowhere to sit down and eat the mouth-watering sandwich. I sat outside the library up the road. After seeing this on Man vs Food, I knew I had to go. Be prepared for a line up. It's worth it. The sandwich is quite sizeable. Half was enough for one person. I went a few more times for my lunch meal when walking around San Francisco. It's a little out of the way though. Top of the list of things to experience in this great city.

• Visited June 2013
San Francisco, California
“Long line for a good sandwich but need to lose the street bouncer.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The first thing about Ike's is that the sandwiches were good, it's hard to say if they are worth the 15-30 min wait but if you want variety this is your place.
Loved the chips and drink options as well. And the lady working behind the counter was Absolutely lovely and very nice and hospitable.

Now for the not so great part and the reason why atmosphere gets a 1. What's with the buffoon working outside telling people to stand here or there like he thinks he's a bouncer for some elite Hollywood club? It's a city sidewalk and last time I knew people can stand where they want. Ike's please do something about this guy as he kind of ruined the experience. Or at the very least clean up the vomit beside your building before you have this want-to-be bouncer ushering people to stand beside it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Warminster, United Kingdom
“What a sandwich !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

As with a lot of people who have written reviews on Ike's my first exposure was via MvF in the UK. When I found out I was going to be in the area it obviously went to the top of my "to do" list.

Just a short walk from the F line down quiet streets, Ike's is a pretty small and nondescript shop front. I visited on a Saturday and there was still quite a queue inside the shop, but the guys working the tills kept it moving pretty quickly.

The menu here is vast, so it certainly pays to research it before you arrive. I had the Kryptonite and it was HUGE ! Half the sandwich did for lunch and the other half I kept back for later in the day (although it didn't look quite as tasty after 4 hours in a backpack !).

Sandwiches come with a packet of crisps (or potato chips for non British readers) and a lollipop which is a nice touch.

Only downside as several people have said is a lack of somewhere to sit - I just perched around the corner on a neighbouring building.

If only I could return every day...

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Worth the wait in line.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Saw these guys on man vs food and had to see if it lived up to the hype. It did! Make this part of your must do's when visiting San Fransisco. The Jamie sire which was amazing and too big to eat in one sitting. My wife had the Jessica rabbit and that was also really good. Back to Australia now where the sandwich filings are wafer thin. Good job Ike!

• Visited May 2013