“Top Tapas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lolo

Lolo
974 Valencia St, San Francisco, CA 94110 (Mission)
415-643-5656
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lolo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #161 of 4,945 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Mission
Cross street: At Bartlett between Mission and Valencia
Description: Lolo was designed by Lorena Zertuche using many recycled materials. It was our attempt to create an environment that is fun and without pretention. We strive to take common ideas from all around the world and give them a playful and delicious new perspective. We have a lot of fun bringing together the culinary traditions of Mexico and Turkey.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Top Tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Our first night in San Fran was capped by a wonderful tapas meal at Lolo. A nice stroll through the Mission district led us there, and although they had no space, we were offered seating either outside or at the bar. We sat outside, and were attended to promptly. The food was quite exceptional, with the highlight a panko crumbed prawn burrito with a tropical salsa and their beef tacos. It was a touch on the pricey side, but the quality more than matched the price tag. A winner.

Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Cozy Lolo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This place offers a very interesting mix of mexican/spanish fusion like tapas. We found it due to its great reviews, and as we didn't have a reservation we were seated outside under the heating lamps. Our waitress was very nice and natural from the first moment and honest enough to tell us the place isn't famous for its wine list (I was craving red wine), but ended up serving us a pretty good Tempranillo from Rioja. We had a hard time deciding what tapas to choose as the variety of plates all seem delicious. In the end we had three tastes (each of the cost of between 8 and 11$) and the food came quickly. Quickly we also realized how small the plates are, this how expensive this place is.

The only thing (and its a pretty important thing) we can put our finger on for Lolo is that the value is bad. We ordered two more plates (the ceviche is amazing by the way!!) and ended up paying 65$ (only had one glass of wine).

It may be the fresh ingredients or the location, but still: this is the most expensive dinner we've had considering how low key and quick the place is.

They have a cocktail bar inside that we didn't check out, but I do think its a good place for some tapas between friends and a small more party, rather than a tasteful dinner for two.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Loved this place...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place was so fabulous. Loved the food, loved the decor, loved the good-looking bartenders and got a kick of out the bill being brought in a miniature boot.

Amazing value for money. When you sit down they bring you three salsas and homemade (I think) nachos for dipping.

I ordered a cafe con leche i.e. a cafe au lait, and they brought me a normal coffee with milk. No matter, they use a french press to make the coffee so it was still good - I didn't see an espresso maker but I'd hate to say they don't have one in case I missed it.

Anyhow, I ordered the Tinga Torta and it was sublime. One of the best things I ate in San Fran and the highlight of my little adventure in the Mission.

There're lots of great taqueros in the Mission but this place really brought it up a notch. It's super cute, laid back, very classy and most importantly, has excellent food. Well done guys.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great selection of foods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

It was our first time here, while visiting San Francisco, and the atmosphere is great. We met a good friend and she picked a great place. The tuna tacos were delicious. By far my favorite choice. Next time in the area I will head back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Gentrification on Steroids with Clueless Hosting Skills”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

What started as a lovely evening and mostly delicious food soon turned into classic cluelessness of hispters performing privilege in my beloved Mission District. I had been missing the distinctive cuisine and mezcal than can only be found In Oaxaca. Lolo's came as a recommendation to meet some of those culinary cravings. Indeed, the food was mostly delicious, and I managed to ignore the ever increasing reality of often being the only Latina in a restaurant in the Mission. However, what was the ultimate two thumbs down on this restaurant was the cluelessness of the "host." My boyfriend and I were enjoying the last few bites of our dessert at our bar seating, when the hostess came over and said she "needed me to move over" and the proceeded to seat a white woman in my seat. Seriously?! The one brown patron in their establishment and she moves them, did not ask, did not have the cognitive capacity to come and see that we were almost done and that she could have waited a few more minutes to allow us to finish our meal. Welcome to the gentrification of the Mission!

• Visited May 2013