“so little time, so much to see” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Asian Art Museum

Asian Art Museum
200 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Civic Center)
415 581 3500
Ranked #10 of 317 Attractions in San Francisco
Type: Art Museums, Museums
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: The museum houses art from more than 40 countries, with an emphasis on Chinese ceramics.
Boston, MA
3 attraction reviews
“so little time, so much to see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I hopped off the sightseeing bus, planning to spend an hour on the special exhibit of Qin dynasty terracotta warriors from China, and wound up spending the whole afternoon. Even so, I just managed to skim two of the museum's three floors. The collection is different in tone and emphasis from the east coast museums that I'm used to, and the way the objects are displayed shows imagination as well as a good sense of what the average human perceives as a comfortable space to move and/or linger in. The museum is quite big, but doesn't feel like it, and so is much more people-friendly than, say, the New York Met and the Chicago Art Institute. At most other museums, I am eager to leave as soon as I've looked at the particular exhibit I'm interested in, but I stayed as long as I could at the Asian Art Museum. If I were a little kid, I would say that the museum is neat, and they have cute stuff.

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hilton Head, South Carolina
25 attraction reviews
“Saw the Soldiers in a Row”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The headset though worth the price for the information had difficulty working ..we exchanged ours 2x..
The exhibit was fantastic

Visited March 2013
San Francisco, California
14 attraction reviews
“Very interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

It's shows the diversity of samurais and warriors.I like it because its very different than most museums

Visited February 2013
Port Ludlow, Wa.
4 attraction reviews
“Great Exhibitions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

On our last visit to SF we took in China's Terracotta Warriors. The ability to get so close to these expressive, ancient warriors and their horses was a real experience. In China, you do not get nearly as close to them. The museum always has great traveling exhibitions and the permanent collection, for me,is just like visiting Asia again.

We also enjoy the restaurant associated with the museum.

Visited February 2013
San Francisco, California
30 attraction reviews
“Highly Professional Museum, With World Class Exhibits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We came here for the Maharaja exhibit a year ago, with friends who are from India, and we all had a lovely time walking through the exhibits. The museum is much smaller then the DeYoung, and is all focused on Asian Art. It is a beautiful building, with highly professional, world class exhibits. Their cafe food is also good for lunch.

Visited April 2012