“Hundreds of sea lions in one place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pier 39

Pier 39
Beach Street & The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA 94133 (Fisherman's Wharf)
+1 415-705-5500

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: From amazing views and a sea of sea lions to chowder bread bowls and California wines, your visit to San Francisco starts at PIER 39. Kick off your visit by exploring two levels of dining, entertainment, shopping and attractions, all surrounded by unbeatable views of the city and the bay. Take it from the world famous sea lions: a visit to San Francisco starts at The PIER.
Trinidad
“Hundreds of sea lions in one place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

By themselves the sea lions at Pier 39 would make a trip to San Francisco worthwhile. Hundreds of these large lively and barking creatures swim and sit on wooden rafts mere yards away from visitors. I could look at them for hours.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Westminster, Canada
44 attraction reviews
“If you know someone who is left handed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

You wouldn't think that being left handed would really change your life at all. However, after marrying a left hander I have noticed a lot of products, like over mitts, are designed for the right handers. So, this store fills that niche and has a number of unique products.

I would recommend you visit!!!

Visited November 2013
Susan B, Guest Relations Manager at Pier 39, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to review PIER 39 on TripAdvisor! Lefty's is certainly a gem and we're happy to hear you came across it during your visit. Truly the perfect place to buy gifts for the left-handed person in your life. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to San Francisco!
Vancouver, BC
3 attraction reviews
“A hidden gem we found @ Pier 39”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Pier 39 is definitely the typical tourist trap... and trust me when i say during peak season it's busy!! But it's definitely worth saying you've been there... my recommendations if you're with someone special and looking to get away from all the tourist... Neptune's Waterfront Grill & Bar was AMAZING! (on the 2nd floor) We happened to be there when they were doing sail boat racing and this restaurant is right on the water with floor to ceiling windows... We had lunch here which was perfect, the food was elegant while fun and their drinks are HUGE... I had a raspberry lemonade and one of the flatbreds while my boyfriend had a mojito and the lobster mac n' cheese... DELICIOUS!!! Not really a kid scene so it's perfect for the couple looking for a break from all the screaming children (which seem to be everywhere during the summer)

Visited August 2013
72 attraction reviews
“Great place for the family to spend a few hours.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was on a business trip and had a few hours to spare after I landed. I decided to check out Pier 39. First off, I stayed right next to Union Square and I took one of the classic San Francisco cable cars to Fisherman's Wharf (where Pier 39 is located), which was awesome. You have to ride one just to say that you did it! It drops you off about a half mile from Pier 39, but it is no biggie. I went in the evening and came back at night, and it seemed pretty safe (just ignore the homeless begging for money and you will be ok).

Pier 39 has a variety of different shops, restaurants, and attractions to suit everyone in the family. It also has a two story carousel, which your children will love. I wish my daughter was with me because she would have freaked out when she saw it. Her and my son would have also loved to see the sea lions on the docks right next to the pier (much like in San Diego). I was by myself and I spent about two hours there. You could easily spend a few more hours than I did if you had your whole family. Pier 39 is also only one part of Fisherman's Wharf, which you could spend a full day hanging out checking out everything. I highly recommend Pier 39 for anyone who wants to have some fun for a few hours, especially with the family. At the very least, you get some great views of San Francisco's skyline, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz.

Boca Raton, Florida
20 attraction reviews
“A must do when visiting San Francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Why would you go to San Francisco and not go to fisherman's Wharf? This is fun for all even on a cold night. So many restaurants and sights to see. A must do! Unless you are a hermit. Sea Lions and people watching are fun to do. Don't forget to eat clam chowder to warm you up.

Visited January 2013