“Excellent hotel close to Boston” 5 of 5 stars

$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Quincy
GreenLeadersBronze level
NJ
“Excellent hotel close to Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

We stayed over July 4th weekend at Boston Quincy Marriott. The hotel was just off the highway, top of a hill. There is shuttle to T stop and parking is free, so you can save $30 staying here then in Boston. The room is great. Very clean. There is nice restaurant in lobby. Our meal was wonderful, $16.95 for all you can eat prime rib dinner. Breakfast buffet was excellent also.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

we chanced upon this Marriott and even though it is a little outside Boston - dont be put off by the location, they run a shuttle to and fro the T station (Boston trains) and even to the airport and the local shopping Mall. Rock up rates were reasonable and the room and bathroom were excellent, two queen beds, free wireless internet in the lobby, exceptionally helpful staff and the free shuttle a great bonus. We had the BEST prime rib meal (all you can eat if you are really hungry) in the hotel restaurant - again great service and attentive staff. Can also recommend the buffet breakfast ($14.95 +). The hotel is obviously popular and can get busy in the lobby but check in was a breeze as was check out. Free parking but no little in room fridge.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

Although this hotel was easy to get to, very clean, had free parking and friendly and helpful staff, it was average (at best!) for the following reasons:

-We only had two towels in our room! Yes, there were only two people, but for that very reason I shouldn't have to call for more towels.
-The only curtain on our window that would shut all the way was one of those filmy white ones. No, people can't see in when those are shut, but they don't block ANY light. The moment the sun rose this morning it woke us up. I'm not sure why this hotel didn't have proper curtains in its rooms.
-The hotel was out in the middle of nowhere. It had a shuttle to the T station, which was nice, but upon booking the room with Marriott I was given the impression that it was within walking distance to Quincy Centre or at least to a T station, which is not the case. There is NOTHING decent within walking distance of this hotel. Nothing.
-The air conditioning in our room was set at one temperature (70 degrees). We fiddled with it and for a while were able to turn the temp down, but even then the room was still way too warm. Definitely warmer than 70 degrees despite the A/C running all night.

I just think that for the price there must be better hotels in better areas so close to a major city.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott in Quincy for 5 nights recently. We live locally and were having work done at the house so needed to find a hotel that was convenient for commuting to/from work daily and the Marriott was a nice surprise. We had a room on the 6th floor at the very end of the corridor so it was very quiet. The room was comfortable even thought we were not in the room that much. But we had no complaints. We ate in the restaurant 3 nights and all were very good. The nice surprise on Friday night was the "all you can eat" prime rib dinner. It proved to be a great choice. So overall I would recommend to others. While we are familiar with the area I could see how it may be confusing for someone trying to find the hotel. But they also run a shuttle service to public transportation so that is an alternative.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

Myself and my friend recently stayed here while visiting boston and i have to say it was absolutely fantastic, the staff where extremely helpful the rooms were very comfortable and the cleanliness overall was of a very high standard, we will most definitely stay here on our next visit to boston and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Quincy, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

I stayed here with my husband and a group of friends for a Marriage Retreat. It was a great hotel to stay at and the food here was very good. We had a 3 course dinner here on a friday night, then buffet brunch the next morning. We were very satisfied with everything.

The room- Very clean, super comfortable king size beds, plush blankets and pillows, and nice flat screen tv.

The Bathroom- Clean, Modern, and very spacious.

Staff- Was very friendly and helpful.

Friday late night.. my husband and I were kinda hungry and didn't want to leave the hotel. It was too late for roomservice..so he wandered the hall to look for a vending machine. Didn't find one.. but he went down to front desk.. they have sandwiches, snacks, ice cream, sodas for sale.

All in all.. we had in awesome time.. and the hotel was very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

We (my boyfriend and I of 6 1/2yrs) usually stay outside Boston in Waltham or Newton since it's almost always cheaper and easy to get in and out of Boston using the Green Line Riverside MBTA station but for a change we stayed here March 13-16th when spending the weekend for the Southie St Pattys Parade because the AAA special rate of $76 a night was the lowest I've ever seen for any hotel at this star level, that was this close to the MBTA subway (Not to mention, nearest the Red Line that goes straight to the parade route). This hotel is in Quincy which is outside Boston but it's so close to T subway line that it makes it easy to get into the city.

We stayed in room #833 with a window facing outwards from the front side of the hotel. Overall, I feel that the positives outweigh the negatives.

POSITIVES:
I'm a member of Marriott Rewards (but not even ranked at the Silver level for this year) and all of my requests for a King size bed, extra towels, extra foam pillows, a high floor, and a refridgerater were met. Even when I was at Silver level last year and had stayed elsewhere, this was the first time I've had all my requests fulfilled.

Parking at the hotel was free, and there was plenty of spaces available.

The hotel offers a free shuttle service to the local MBTA subway (Quincy Adams stop, on the Red Line). It leaves just about every hour, and runs til about 9pm. If you're waiting for a pick-up at the T they request that you call the hotel to let them know how many in your party is waiting. The driver was very friendly and helpful.

The clerks at the front desk were very friendly and seemed genuinely happy to help us with our questions we had regarding Newspaper charges and the Shuttle service they offered to the T station.

The hotel has a very strict noise policy, forget 3 strikes-you're out, its basically 2-strikes-you're-out! This may come in handy if you have some unruly neighbors.

There was delicious fruit flavored water in dispensers near the front desk. I always look forward to yummy complimentary refreshments like that!

The bathroom was clean. The sink was actually in the bathroom, not outside of it. My favorite part was that the shower head was adjustable so that you could change the type of spray and whether it was high or low. It also took little to no time at all for the water to heat up.

There was a very nice and large flat screen LCD TV in the room.

A Dunkin Donut was at the base of the hill that the hotel is perched on. Just a quick 1 minute drive to a cheap breakfast that I knew I'd like, especially since I had a giftcard (Trust me, don't walk the distance. Drive it). We opted for this since we left the hotel close to when breakfast hours were over and plus we wanted to save money since I already had a giftcard there (I'd like to note, I can't compare the breakfast prices to Dunkin Donuts since we never ended up eating breakfast at the hotel).

NEGATIVES:
Granted, the hotel is a nice... however, the area of Quincy that the hotel is located in... doesn't exactly seem like the nicest neighborhood if you venture not even 1 mile from it. We realized this because we always stop at a nearby grocery store for snacks to keep in the in-room fridge and while trying to locate the grocery store, the area made myself AND my boyfriend uncomfortable, and that's saying a lot since he's a cop!

Bathroom, even though I mentioned it as a positive... when I booked my room, the hotel website described the guest rooms as having a separate tub and separate shower. In reality, the room was actually a shower/tub combo.

As experienced at my last hotel stay but in a different place (Residence Inn on Tudor Wharf, Charlestown, MA)... even here, one of the decorative pillows on the bed had a gross stain on it--but hey, who really uses those to sleep on anyway?? I didn't really think this was a big deal, but nevertheless I am noting it.

Room #833 was located right behind the elevator. I'm a light sleeper and I kept waking up during the night and very early in the morning from the elevator dinging and people closing doors and walking while chatting in the hallway getting to it. However, my boyfriend being a heavier sleeper never noticed.

No blackout curtains. There were only window sheers. After being woke up through my previous negative listed, I found it very difficult to get back to sleep because the room was filled with light. The second night I ended up undoing the side decorative swags before going to bed and using a hair claw clip of mine to try to clip them together to reduce some of the light--it did little to help the issue.

We ate at Kilroy's Pub for dinner the first night we were there which is on the main floor of the hotel. The menu was brief, and the prices were a bit inflated--but hey, there's a price to pay for convenience. I had the chicken tenders and found them to be incredibly chewy and not worth trying to finish. I was not impressed.

OVERALL TIPS:
A few tips to those who are considering staying here:

1) FORGET thinking of walking from the hotel to the Quincy Adams T station. It doesn't look that far on a map but because of the hotel being atop a hill with a very long winding road that you HAVE to use to get to the bottom (its the only way!), the lack of sidewalks once you get to the bottom, and the way the intersections are will just give you a headache (they are not pedestrian friendly at all). INSTEAD! The hotel offers a free shuttle service to the T, use it!

2) I have never driven in a town where the traffic lights were so confusing, there was such a lack of street signs, and road lines were practically non-existant, as well as markings for turn lanes. Be aware when you're trying to drive here that often times the traffic lights or signs for the lane you are in are usually on the left hand side of the road, or even across the street on the left hand side.

3) As I've mentioned before... the area that the hotel is located in doesn't seem very safe if you plan on walking around in this end of town, so if you plan on just staying in the hotel or spending the majority of your time in the city than this probably isn't an issue to consider.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Boston Marriott Quincy? Share your experiences!