“Not Quite Boston but...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Quincy
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Not Quite Boston but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

If you are visiting Boston for college visits as we were this past weekend, this hotel offers a less expensive alternative to the hotels in Boston or Cambridge, as much as $100 per night through one of the discount hotel booking sites. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. There are several good restaurants that are destinations for Bostonians who make the trip for specials that they like. I didn't try it but the Short Ribs were highly recommended. The hotel caters to weddings and other large groups. There were 200 Japanese exchange students staying there at the same time as we were.
The location in the middle of a corporate park is a little strange and not easy to find even though it is on the top of a hill. You almost have to drive to get there so I did not like the fact that they charged for parking when you had no other option for a place to park. The same was true for the added charge for wifi. You couldn't go to a hotspot because you were in the middle of nowhere. While we are on the subject of their marketing strategy, I saw something I had never seen before. You can purchase the linens, lamps and toiletries that you find in your room from a catalog. Not the ones from the room but just like the ones you see. So they have figured out how to turn your hotel room into a shopping mall.
I guess you could take advantage of all of these "perks" but then you might as well stay in Boston. If you can avoid these temptations then this hotel could be a budget alternative.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Potsdam, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at this Marriott for a business event. While nothing was very wrong, nothing was very right either. The hotel was noisy with what seemed to be thin walls. You could easily hear people in the next room. Also their promised shuttle service left a lot to be desired starting with sometime not answering their phone to having other services pick you up that took you on a scenic tour of Quincy before dropping you at the hotel. One of the 3rd party shuttle drivers that picked us up at the train station just 2 miles from the hotel stated that the Marriott often has them pick up people that don’t know about all the stops making them late for meetings and miss planes.

Also we found the staff less than friendly and overall the stay seemed more like a Marriott Courtyard stay than what it was billed at.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jason H, Manager at Boston Marriott Quincy, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to offer us valuable feedback. I would like to send our sincerest apologies that you did not get a great night’s sleep due to noisy neighbors. In the future let us know if someone is being disruptive as we do have Quiet Time policies in place to ensure everyone gets a great night’s rest. We have security and management at the hotel 24 hours a day to address any issues that may arise.

In regards to the shuttle service, I would also like to apologize you had difficulties scheduling the service, as well as overall execution of the shuttle. We are nestled in the Crown Colony Office Park and we do participate in an Office Park Shuttle service. There is an Express Shuttle that only stops at 3 of the buildings as well as a Local Shuttle that is required to stop at every building in the park. We also operate our own fleet but there are two hours a day that our shuttles are out of service doing corporate runs to nearby office parks. When these times occur we offer the Crown Colony Office Park Shuttle to our guests as an alternative to and from the Subway Station, which is only 3/4 of a mile from the hotel.

I would like to thank you once again for the great feedback and I will be sure to utilize it as a training tool for the hotel. I hope to see you again if your travels bring you to Boston’s South Shore, as I am positive we can exceed your expectations.

Jason Horonzy, Director of Hotel Operations-Rooms
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

It's clean and dependable with a nice lobby bar and full restaurant. Rooms are a decent size. It can be tricky to get to...so use your gps...and listen closely to every turn when you exit the highway.

• Stayed April 2013
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during my visit to Quincy, I had office meetings together with partners in the area. The hotel sits nicely on a top of the hill, but unfortunately the hotel is designed in a way that most rooms only overlook the highway (opposite direction) instead of overlooking the city and the sea. That would have made much more sense and be more appealing.

Breakfast was good, the first morning. The second morning it was still acceptable but by the time of the third morning I was tired of all the options that were available. Fourth and fifth morning I simply had a coffee and eggs. This surprised me, as I understand with communicating with people at the bar that many people stay there for a very long time. I never saw many people at the breakfast, so maybe thats the reason.

My meetings in the day started at 10AM or 9:30AM, but the shuttle service for the hotel ended at 9AM in the morning which was of course of no use to me.

Gym and swimming pool was good, I used it daily. Gym was open 24 hours and was very neat and tidy. Pool had too much chlorine in my opinion and I had a dry/soar skin for the next couple of days after taking a swim one morning. Maybe just the American way of living?

I will definitely come back when I need to have meetings with my partners, but I would probably seek out other options of F&B than in the hotel. And I would rent a car. And I would buy breakfast the night before and eat in my room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cologne - Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I've stayed in the Marriott Quincy very often over the past years and over time it was a bit worn down! However since they refurbished some (don't know for the whole hotel) of the floors it's really back into very good shape!

For business to south of Boston a perfect fit with access to I-93 South.

Besides, Quincy has very nice marina which - specially in Spring / Summer - offers a great view into Boston / the Boston skyline! Very scenic!

I'd recommend to ask for rooms with number x42 / x43 / x44 on any level. They offer the best view onto the Boston bay ... you'll see great sunrises from here if you are up that early that is of course! ;-) (see attached picture taken this year in April)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cheboygan, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The front desk staff is to be commended. The crew is great with names and faces and make you feel important. Jeffery and Kaylin are the faces every business should have out front. The crew in Kilroy's are the same. If you're looking to feel at home away from home while on business, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't rent a car. Take the train, shuttle or cab if you're from out of town.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Long Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The pros:
-The entire hotel and rooms are extremely clean. A+
-Rooms and hotel are updated
-Staff is very nice and professional
-In-room cable TV has plenty of channels, including HBO
-Restaurant and lounge have a diverse menu. Food is very good.

The cons:
-Pay for parking? $12/night or $9/night because I was with a convention
-Pay for internet? $12.95 in-room for the luxury of internet access (are we in 1990?)
-Pay to use business center terminals? Yup, swipe card for .50 fee.

First, this hotel is not in Boston, it's in Quincy. This hotel isn't close to anything; you will not be walking anywhere. The only way to get here is by car, whether it be your own or by livery.

To their credit, the $12 parking fee is on their website (found it after I was told at the front desk), but when I made my phone reservations I was not told. They were even so kind as to connect me directly to Hertz when I made my reservation.

In speaking with somebody who stayed there last year, the pay-for-parking foray is new this year.

Keep in mind, there is nowhere else to go if you park here. You are not going to park here and walk miles to get someplace else. They're not having a problem with squatters. This is simply a 10% room surcharge.

To add injury to insult, Marriot has an addiitonal 200+ space parking lot at the bottom of the hill (it's a BIG hill) that sits empty.

There was no in-room wifi (at least in my room, there were absolutely no signals), so you either have to go down to the lobby to check your email or pay the $12.95 internet access fee.

The entry doors for the units are not equipped with door closers, but instead have been outfitted with spring-loaded hinges. The result is that unless you are careful, the doors just slam closed. And not that solid "thud" type slam. That annoying tin can "we were too cheap to install a decent door buck" slam. It's especially invigourating when housekeeping opens the door, closes the night latch so the door won't latch closed, and continually slams the door into the night latch as they clean.

Housekeeping wanted to service my room after 5pm on a Sunday?

Linens were excellent. Bed had six pillows-- six of the most uncomfortable pillows I have ever used. I am not a picky guy. I slept on the floor next to my ill 3yo son last week with no issues. But these pillows. I can't explain it.

From what I heard, the event coordinator back-burnered our smaller convention (booked 1.5 years in advance) in favor of a larger one, causing some scheduling difficulties with event room assignments. I wasn't directly involved with any of the event planning, but I got the distinct impression there were a lot of issues. They even had our events starting at 9pm and going to midnight, rather than 9am-noon the next day.

$2 for soda from vending machines (had to go to 3 floors to get one that accepted bills). Same soda is $2.50 at front desk. 12oz juice and granola bar is $6 at front desk. Burger or chicken sandwich is $13. Hotdogs are $8. Beer is $6/bottle. Jack on the rocks $10.50.

Bottom line.. rooms are clean, food is good, beware if considering scheduling your event here, and last but not least: Marriot has adobted the Nickel-and-Dime-You-to-Death business plan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Boston Marriott Quincy? Share your experiences!