“Fantastic climbing with kids!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 60 Activities in Bar Harbor
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience a half-day or full day climb with Maine’s original and most respected climbing school. Acadia Mountain Guides is one of the most sought out leaders of climbing instruction and guide education in the US. We specialize in designing unique, personalized climbing experiences for all ages and abilities on the scenic shores of Acadia and throughout Maine! Join us for a healthy and fun activity that is guaranteed to be a highlight of your vacation.All equipment is provided. Unlike other local seasonal climbing services, guiding is our profession! We guide year round on rock, snow, and ice. 100% of our staff are independently trained and certified above national guiding and medical standards set by the American Mountain Guides Association and the Professional Climbing Instructors Association. AMGCS has the distinction of being the only school in Maine to be dually accredited by both the AMGA and the PCIA. AMG has been under the same consistent ownership since opening in 1993. The owner, Jon Tierney, began guiding in 1983 in Acadia and is one of a handful of Americans to earn the International Federation of Mountain Guides Association (IFMGA) guide license. The IFMGA license is the PhD of guiding and requires full AMGA certification as a rock, alpine and ski mountaineering guide. We look forward to meeting you on the rocks!
south of Boston
“Fantastic climbing with kids!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This wasn't easy, indoor rock wall climbing. Felt as close to the real thing as we will get. Very friendly, patient instructors. Super with my kids (8 & 12) Great location! Climbing cliffs overlooking the harbor at sunset. Can't get much better than that. A bit pricey but worth it. Would definitely do it again. A real adventure.

Visited July 2013

Louisville
4 attraction reviews
“I asked to be challenged”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Phoned Tyler Walker before boarding our cruise ship out of Boston, as Bar Harbor would be one of our stops during the week. He set me up with a 1/2 day (four hour) rock climb with one of his guides. Upon arrival at Bar Harbor, it was a short walk up Main Street to the Acadia Mountain Guides store, where I met "Dick", my guide. I found him to be very friendly and professional, and after grabbing some climbing gear we headed out in his vehicle.

I explained that I was basically a novice, just looking for something outdoors, avoiding my fellow cruise ship tourists, and the typical tourist sites for ship's shore excursions. We headed to "South Bubble Wall", a short distance from downtown, somewhere in the Acadia Park. At this point we never saw another person, except perhaps the buses stopping on the road down below, maybe watching us climbing.

I found the climb to be very challenging for this 67 year old dude. Dick encouraged me and kept me safe, while entertaining me with interesting conversation regarding his experience in the park as well as other exciting adventures in the past. After climbing the wall, taking many great pictures along the way, and repelling back down, we returned to his vehicle and to their shop.

I was charged $155.00 for the private 1/2 day climb (including gear), and I tipped Dick $20.00. It was a great adventure, and now I'm back on the ship with sore legs, but not before consuming a lobster roll and a couple of Thunder Hole Ales at Galyn's on Main Street. It was explained to me that as a private climb, the itinerary was pretty much up to me. I told Dick I was a novice climber, 67 years old with a little fire still left in me, and wanted to be challenged …. which he certainly did. I fully recommend Acadia Mountain Guides if anytime you might be in the Bar Harbor area.

Visited October 2013
Rockfoed, mi
“Mind blowing experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I had never climbed at all before. Jeremy and Ryan were so great and took the time to really teach us. We climbed at otter cliffs. One climb in the chimney and one on the cliff face. The view was breathtaking! Jeremy and Ryan were great at calming our fears and talking us through our routes. A life changing experience!! Cannot recommend them enough!

9 attraction reviews
“Climbing School”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Spent the afternoon in climbing school and had a fantastic experience. I had previous climbing and rappelling experience, but my girlfriends 8yr old son was a first-timer. The owner gauged experience levels and suggested we try the Otter Cliffs area right on the water. He was spot-on! There was plenty to do for any experience level. Safety was the number one priority while we were out there, and then it was all about learning the gear, the knots, and climbing techniques. It didn't hurt that we had spectacular views of the water below. Well worth the rate. We packed plenty of things in the half day course so I can't imagine how much fun it would have been had we done it all day. I'd recommend this for anyone with an interest in climbing or rappelling. They provided all high quality harnesses, climbing shoes, helmets, ropes, and gear. We just had to show up, follow instruction, and have a blast. Thanks!

Sugar Grove, IL
23 attraction reviews
“Fun Afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Spent the afternoon with our guide, Summer. We did four different climbs, each one more challenging than the last. Summer was awesome teaching us new skills and showing us how to have fun climbing straight up the side of a cliff! Next time we will book the full day trip, requesting Summer as our guide.

Visited September 2013