“This is a very welcoming hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel to your Saves list
Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   90 Eden St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
“This is a very welcoming hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We were very lucky to get a room on a friday night. The room was very inviting. The pools and spa were extraordinary.I will be back. The staff was friendly and helpful. Thank you to a very kind lady I think her name was Jana for being so helpful to us.

• Stayed August 2014
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
We look forward to seeing you again and are very happy to hear about how much you enjoyed your room, the pools and spa.

Jana is our Assistant General Manager and one of great assets. We appreciate you taking the time to share your good experience on Tripadvisor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed her for one night while visiting the Bar Harbor area and Acadia National Park. The hotel is not in the main downtown area. The property is quite large. Rooms are much older but very clean. Service was friendly.

At night there is a pianist in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2014
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor. It helps so much when our customers can let others know of their good experiences. We take great pride in the care of our guests and our facility. It is always nice to know when that is appreciated. It is also great to let folks know about our unique location. We have plenty of room to spread out in whether it be our large rooms or our expansive grounds which are over 19 acres total just blocks from the town of Bar Harbor. We hope that you will return to Bar Harbor and spend your vacation with us again.
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

My husband and I visited Bar Harbor last weekend and can not say enough about our stay. I was hesitant about staying because the pictures on their website made the place look dated (think flowers). Once we arrived, all concern for the decor was gone when we took one look at the view! It really could not have been a better view, the checkin was a breeze, room was clean, they even had the old fashioned piano man playing in a very comfortable lounge (total throwback and totally enjoyable). We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Room on the third and fourth floor have the best views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your sincere and thoughtful review of your stay with us. We pride ourselves on customer service and the special touches that create lasting memories for our guests.

It is great to hear that you discovered our pianist Bill Trowell. Bill is with us for his 18th year and there are many people who come to see us annually because he is here.

We never tire of the view and recognize how much it adds to the experience at the Bluenose.
Please come back to see us again soon. We look forward to it.
Fayetteville, AR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Travel Down East we needed a place to land for a few days. After a long day driving around and deciding what to do we found the Blue Nose. The staff who helped us check in were great and got is a good room with a view. In fact we check in for just the night and decided the next day to extend our stay two more days! The sunrise was good (all though I don't have personal knowledge of it!) and the view of the bay was beautiful. The Blue Nose is within walking distance to most of the stuff in Bar Harbor but far enough away to be quiet. The local bus also makes trips from town to the Inn.

There was a funky bar where the guy playing piano was covering all sorts of hits from the 70s (turns out he has been there forever). The crowd was older (you could tell by the tray of reading glasses for people to use!). But was fun. Nothing like a little "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" by some dude playing the piano to get your blood flowing! We were starving after a long driving day and at at the bar. Finger food but did the trick. The bartender was attentive and we had a nice chat with the hotel manager.

In town we discovered 2 Cats for breakfast (wow!) and went for breakfast twice. We had pizza at Rosalie's and Mexican food at Gringo's. All delish.

Stayed June 2014
Thank you for sharing your good experience with others on Tripadvisor. You discovered many of the special qualities about our property that make us unique and we are thrilled that you enjoyed it. We are away from the crowd yet within walking distance to town, the best views by many accounts in town, a fabulous restaurant, shuttle service, and of course the nightly entertainment by pianist Bill Trowell.

I sincerely hope that you will return to Bar Harbor and choose us again. Thank you again.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I live in the deep south, but have family in Maine and look forward to a short trip to Bar Harbor every time I come up to visit. I've stayed at the Bluenose Inn three times now in two years, twice with my husband and once with my son. Each time, the experience has been very pleasant, the room always clean and comfortable, and the staff very friendly and helpful. We were even able to buy our Acadia pass at the front desk, which saved a step at the park! I always look forward to breakfast in the Looking Glass Restaurant overlooking Frenchmen's Bay. We have always stayed in the building across from the pool, but I think next time, I will have to stay in the Mizzentop Building! My husband enjoyed the piano player, and I enjoyed sitting outside, enjoying the beautiful July weather! I loved having the in-room Keurig with assorted K-cups and the mini-frig. Yes, I would/will stay at the Bluenose Inn again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
It is always wonderful to hear from our guests who come back year after year. It is the long term relationships we build that make our jobs so rewarding. I think you would love the Mizzentop and encourage you to call us to learn more about the individual features available in those rooms when you are ready to plan your next trip. Many of those rooms feature gas fireplaces and some have a separate sitting room in addition to a private balcony.

I hope you will make sure that we meet in person on your next visit if we haven't already. We enjoy all of the familiar faces that return annually and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Oakland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed in the Mizzentop Building. Room was very spacious, nice view from the deck. Large TV with nice variety to pick from. Water for showers was nice and hot. Coffee maker easy to use. Small refrigerator kept things nice and cold. Liked the bathroom, sinks seperate from the toilet/shower area so two people can be doing different things. Free Wi-Fi which worked great. Supplies in the bathroom were good quality such as shampoo and body wash. Soaps also nice. A couple small things I was disappointed in the first which might me just preference, was the towels/washcloths were way to thick for my liking. Second, when I went to do my laundry in the coin operated, there was no laundry detergent in the machine and it took two cycles to dry my clothes and the load was not large. The only other thing was the womens bathroom toilet in the pool room was awful for flushing down. Took me 3 times.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is so nice to know that so many of the special touches in your room were noticed and appreciated. We want our guests to feel comfortable and even pampered whild staying with us.

My apologies for the trouble you encountered with the laundry area, I have looked in to it and made sure that we are fully stocked and functional.

I do hope you will think about coming back to Bar Harbor and staying with us again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We grabbed a room here at the last minute for an impromptu weekend in Bar Harbor. Though we wanted to stay in town, all rooms were booked so we went with the Bluenose. I read some of the not so great reviews, but I am really glad we ignored them and took the chance to come here. First I guess I should say, I review places based on how good they are within their own type of property within their own geography. What I mean is that I don't think it is fair to compare a property smack in the middle of a high traffic resort town, to a local hotel on the side of a road somewhere. There is a certain amount you know you will pay in high season in a tourist area. For what is offered and compared to similar properties in the area, we found the rates to be fair. This is a property that has 3 different buildings, and I suspect each building has it's own set of prices and character. If you want a GREAT time in a lovely room, you have to stay in the main building. We had a 3rd floor king suite, with a private balcony, fire place, small living room area, king size bed, keurig, small fridge and a microwave. Big double sinks exterior to wash room and a nice shower. The bed was comfortable, the robes were soft and everything was spotlessly clean. I get that some folks think the décor is dated, but if you spend anytime in historic New England, you will know that chintz and stripes is a classic choice. The pools are small, but they are spotless. Outdoor pool is heated which was fantastic. The on site restaurant is up a small path in one of the back buildings with a great view and good reviews. The bar serves light fare at night, while a really sweet and personable man plays classic tunes on a piano, right next to a fire place. Nate at the front desk was fantastic upon check in, what a great asset to this company. As for location, yes it's on the road, but it sits way high up OFF the road, no sounds could be heard and you don't feel like you are sitting on a main street. It is at least a half mile to the edge of town, so if you are into walking you can walk to town, but this is not an IN town property. Still, we had a car and were happy to drive the 1/2 mile, no big deal. Parking can be found. I can't review the other buildings, the back buildings looked a bit older, not as renovated. But for where we stayed, it was a great property.
The only thing worth mentioning from a negative perspective that may actually drive us away from coming back here is that we had a very negative experience checking out. We booked through Expedia and my receipt showed that we had been charged for 2 nights and owed nothing to the hotel. Upon check out I was told that was not true and that Expedia had only taken a deposit, rather than the entire amount. I asked to speak to a manager and showed a young woman who claimed to the be the manager my receipt from Expedia. She handled the situation VERY poorly. In the long run, it turned out Expedia was incorrect, my credit card had only been charged for a deposit, but the explanation from the "manager" was that this is how they set it up and they cannot change it, she lacked any kind of sympathy, was not at all helpful and left us feeling so disappointed that we likely will not return, BUT, don't let that make you feel like this isn't a very pretty property with a lot to offer. Yes, it's a 3 building resort, yes you have to walk between buildings and yes, it's just as expensive as the other resorts in the area, but it's very much worth it.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge, get a room with a view, third floor suites with a fireplace and balcony are...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very thourough review of your recent stay with us. It seems that every now and then a negative review can hurt your standing on review sights so it really is important to dig a little deeper. Overall, we feel we have many more happy and even thrilled customers than disappointed ones so thank you for getting to know us. Nothing is more important to us than customer service and the comfort of our guests. We want for you to feel a little bit of "home" while you are on your vacation and so we treasure the relationships we can build with our visitors because many become visitors year after year.

I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience as you checked out and hope that you will seriously consider staying with us again if you have the opportunity to return to Bar Harbor. Overall, it sounds as if you enjoyed your stay with us and we would welcome the opportunity to do it again.

Been to Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!