“Anniversary Return” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 40 hotels in Bar Harbor
Boston
“Anniversary Return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Last time we stayed at the Bluenose was 2005. It just keeps getting better. When I made my reservation, I casually mentioned that it was our Anniversary. When we checked in, the clerk, Kara, welcomed us and wished us a happy anniversary. We received a note and a gift from the Co-Owner, Jim Ash and from Shelly in Guest Services. The room was superb. As it was eight years ago, it was spotlessly clean. But this time it had two large TVs, something they didn't have back then. They also closed the Rose Room, but added an excellent restaurant at the top of the hill with a great view. The best part was sitting outside on the deck by a large fire pit surrounded by these towers of flame. I have never seen anything like them before, but they had a tube in the center that contained the fire. They added light and warmth to the deck. Meeting others on the deck was a treat as well. Back to the room to rest in the comfy bed.
Check out was a breeze with both the daily newspaper and the bill at your door early in the AM. A quick call to the desk, and we were on our way.
Once again, I can heartily recommend the Bluenose!

Room Tip: The rooms at Mizzentop? are wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review regarding your recent visit to The Bluenose Inn to celebrate your anniversary. I will certainly pass along your comments to the staff particularly the front desk and housekeeping departments. Please do not wait another eight years before you return. And do not forget our anniversary special whereby we offer 1% off for every year of marriage. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to once again serve you.

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Czech first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was a really great place to stay. Even most of the less expensive rooms have a nice view of the water, are clean, and quaint. Great it you plan to do anything in Acadia National Park! The bedding/decor is a bit outdated, but everything seemed very clean and the staff is pleasing. Definitely check out the Sea Glass Restaurant for breakfast if you go. No need to go into the downtown area when a gem like that is right at your door! The indoor and outdoor pools also make it a great place to stay even if the weather is fickle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your recent visit to the Bluenose Inn and Looking Glass restaurant. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the pools, the location of the hotel, the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff. Regarding the décor, we are in the midst of a multi year upgrade. I do hope that when your travel plans bring you back to Maine, you will once again stay with us.
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My family has stayed at this hotel a number of times over the years and we always enjoy staying at the Bluenose. This was the first time my husband and I visited Maine alone, and we stayed in the king suite on the 4th floor. The view was absolutely breathtaking, and we spent most of our time at the hotel out on the balcony, watching the sun rise, the sun set, the tide receding to reveal the Bar in Bar Harbor, and the birds out in the bay and on the islands. We could have spent the entire trip on the balcony! Our room was lovely and very clean, it was recently renovated and had new carpets and furniture themed in blues, very calming and welcoming. The curtains were still left from the previous decor, and I would guess that they are to be replaced to match the rest of the room. The bed was comfortable with many pillows, and the room large and well appointed. The bathroom is very large, featuring double sinks and separate shower and toilet for privacy. The Keurig coffee maker was new since our last stay, and an excellent addition to the small, but adequate kitchenette with mini-fridge and microwave. Real coffee creamers are supplied in the frig, and makes a huge difference to me compared to the powdered (yuck) creamers.
The bellhops, bartender in the Great Room, and maids were exceptional, but the staff working the front desk upon check in and check out did not seem to have much experience and were not quite sure how to put through our payment since we wanted to use a different card than the one we used to make the reservation. Bill Trowell has been The Piano Man for many years, performing nightly in the Great Room, adding a nice touch to accompany the end-of-the-day cocktail. The manager has a nice wine and cheese reception a few nights a week, and specials on drinks and in the Looking Glass restaurant. The building is very well maintained, with lovely flower baskets adding color to the outside of the building. The gardens on the hill on the street side of the hotel could use some updating with native plants and additional color, but the Goldenrod and Mountain Holly are lovely and full of birds. The hotel is on the main road, but is away from the center of Bar Harbor and is not congested. "Downtown" Bar Harbor is easily accessible by walking or taking the free shuttle that comes by every 15 minutes and stops across the street at the College of the Atlantic.
I have read other reviews complaining about the air conditioner, but we did not use it during our stay, and do not recall it being an issue on previous visits. Overall, this is a wonderful hotel and we will be back again!

Room Tip: 4th floor is the way to go
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you great comments regarding your recent visit to the Bluenose Inn. I am really glad to hear you enjoyed your room, the amenities, the flowers and gardens, the piano player and most of all the fact that you will be back.
Your description of the rooms depicted the fact that we are renovating but have not finished all the items to date as you pointed out.
Our location, close to town and the park but away from the congestion as you pointed out has proven to be a tremendous asset for our guests.
We hope to see you in the near future and again thank you for your excellent review that I will surely pass along to my staff.
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had the chance to spend there only 2 nights but I was well impressed! I was speechless when I saw the hotel and the room was clean and lovely! The location is ok: even if it's not in town there is a free shuttle who takes you there (service provided by the city to link hotel of the area with the centre!). I was there with an organised tour so had a separate breakfast (not like the other guests); Not as often happen in these cases It was good and the staff was kind and willing to help.
So...I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your recent visit to the Bluenose Inn. I am glad to hear that you used the free shuttle bus to downtown and that you found the staff to be kind and helpful. Most of all, I am very pleased that you stated that you would be back for sure!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I had a wonderful vacation here, we will never forget! This place has everything a Hotel should have, plus a marvelous view of the water!
We stayed in the Stenna room. If was big, with a fire place and 2 sinks!
We have also stated in a room across the street of the main bldg. That room was also nice, with a view of the water.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent visit to the Bluenose Inn to celebrate your anniversary. Please keep us in mind for future anniversaries as we will continue to offer our special package. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the view, your room and the hotel in general. Please keep us in mind for future travel plans to New England.
Lewiston, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Thank you to the staff and management at the Bluenose Inn! We had an enjoyable stay with a beautiful view from the main building on the 4th floor. At check-in we were greeted warmly and directed to our room with the full knowledge of what the hotel had to offer. Our room was immaculate and offered a beautiful view of the ocean. One morning we sat out on the balcony in our bathrobes with a cup of coffee and watched the sunrise! Bar Harbor has so much to offer and I noticed the majority of hotels right in town were swamped with tourists and offered limited privacy. The selling point of this beautiful hotel has to be their restaurant, The Looking Glass. Even if you don't stay at the Bluenose for some reason, make sure you stop by The Looking Glass for at least one meal, it is amazing!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great comments regarding your recent visit to the Bluenose Inn and the Looking Glass restaurant. We are very fortunate to have an excellent staff as evidenced by your comments regarding the cleanliness and the meal you experienced. Our location offering privacy yet close to downtown and Acadia National Park has indeed proven to be one of our best features. I do hope people take your advice and even if not staying with us, dine at our restaurant as we are one of only two Wine Spectator award winners on the Island and have an excellent Executive Chef and a very talented team to support him in both the front and back of the house.
We do hope when your plans bring you to the coast again, that you will stay with us.
Clifton Park, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I regret to write this, but it is in the Bluenose's best interest that I do in order for them to fix these problems.

The Bluenose Inn is a 4 diamond resort according to AAA; therefore I am disappointed in them also. Even though this hotel looks beautiful on the outside, and appears very clean (housekeeping staff did a great job and was very accommodating) there are several things this place lacks and or needs to improve upon. I have stayed at many 4 star resorts in the past and this one did not meet the standards necessary for this rating, in my opinion. (Except for the view which is beautiful).

With that being said, let me discuss the first major problem, the noisy air conditioner. This is simply unacceptable for a 4 diamond resort. Both myself and my boyfriend were woke up by the noise a few times a night. I have noticed a couple of others spoke of the same problem with their air conditioner. To give you an idea how loud it is I wear earplugs and it still kept me awake. (See attached video to hear) There are several other problems, for example the time it takes to get food in the great lounge (the food is cooked across the parking lot from the Great Lounge in another building and must be covered and carried outside in order for you to get it) We waited 40 minutes for 2 hamburgers. When ordering a salad we did not get dressing on the side and had to wait another 15 minutes due to the walk across the parking lot. This may be why the Great Room is not busy (it’s very pricey also considering the wait) Management tries to lure people in by offering people snacks and a free glass of wine which the manager/owner poured at the bar. If you really want to offer your guests something you may want to consider offering them a free breakfast or a nightly reception that included free drinks for at least an hour and allow them several selections. I have stayed at several 4 star resorts that offer at least one of the above and others that offer both.

The staff is another issue. Most were not very friendly. In fact, one of the wait staff in the great room was very rude to me and this is totally unacceptable in a 4 diamond hotel. However, the housekeeping and some of the wait staff and most of the bellhops were very nice.

I noticed the manager/co-owner offered some of those giving negative reviews a free night’s accommodation to make up for an unsatisfactory stay at the Bluenose Inn. For me, this is simply not good enough. In business, many times you have only one chance to make a good first impression and this hotel left a bitter taste in my mouth. It’s a shame because it has the potential of being great.

The next time we visit Bar Harbor we will stay at the Highbrook motel that is next door. I have stayed in the Highbrook before and you definitely get what you pay for there. We do not feel we got our money’s worth at the Bluenose Inn. Way too expensive for what you receive.

Bar Harbor is a beautiful place. Do not hesitate to visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the property. I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. As evidenced by the vast majority of the reviews being excellent, we are quite upset by your remarks. While I certainly appreciate the input, I would like to comment on several of your points. I am very pleased about the praise for our housekeeping staff and the sensational view that the property offers.
1. Regarding the air conditioning noise, I sincerely apologize for this. We could have moved you to another room had we known.
2. The main building does not have a kitchen thus any cooked food that is brought into the Great Room does indeed have to be covered and transported. This has not proven to be a problem but I understand the wait was indeed too long for the two burgers. Regarding the salad dressing, this was obviously a service error and again should not have happened. Food sales in the Great Room however are substantially ahead of last year so while at times it is indeed not busy, overall we are happy with the totals.
3. I do not try to lure anyone into the Great Room for food service. The management receptions offered three times per week are simply a way of saying thank you to the guests and it gives me a chance to meet many guests and for guests to meet each other if they opt to. The free wine that we serve, both a Cabernet and Chardonnay from Napa Valley, have received great compliments and we do serve the wine and cheese and fruit for an hour contrary to your comment .
4. Please review the other comments on Trip Advisor regarding the staff. Your comment about them being rude is the first one that we have seen. As evidenced by the many favorable comments and unsolicited praise they have received, I am quite stunned by this. Perhaps something was taken out of context but this is one of the friendliest staffs I believe you will find anywhere. If he or she appeared to be rude, I am sure it was not on purpose and clearly a mistake in communication perhaps. But if he/she was, I deeply apologize as this simply is not the norm.
5. I totally agree that things should be done right up front thus negating any need to offer free rooms, food, etc. to compensate. However I believe that we all make mistakes and errors and how we respond to them should be the determining factor to consider. In Maine, L.L. Bean is a great example of this. If something is wrong and unfortunately it happens, they are known for their follow up.

You feel that we have the potential to be great. I am willing to give you a complimentary overnight in a suite with dinner for two to give us another chance. This offer is valid through the 2014 season. Please contact me directly should you opt to take us up on the offer.

The Bluenose Inn
jim@barharborhotel.com

Been to Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!