“Beautiful view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Middletown, Rhode Island
“Beautiful view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

This hotel has a beautiful view from the pool and hot tub area. The rooms are average, but we stayed in a room with a bunk bed, which was great for our kids. The breakfast is an extensive buffet and somewhat expensive, but kids eat free. The breakfast got busy while we were there and people were annoyed to have to wait 15-20 minutes to sit down. There is a shuttle that goes around to local hotels into Bar Harbor which is convenient as parking is tight downtown.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Eben S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, September 6, 2014
The kids suites are a new addition and they have been a huge hit. We have several more planned for next season. Thanks for enjoying your stay and hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Valatie, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

Stayed here in 2001 and it was a great experience so we wanted to repeat that this year in July 2014. The hotel is on the harbor and if you have a room with a view it is amazing. Parking lot view, not so good. All Bar Harbor hotels are expensive in the tourist season, but with the high $200 price per night you expect decent service, don't expect it here. Upon arrival with a confirmed reservation, the check in line was long and slow, the two rooms for two days we wanted were not available. The front desk clerk kept leaving and returning asking somebody basic check in questions and finally a supervisor appeared. At that moment I did not have my confirmation and she told me my room type was not available and nothing else was available, I accepted that until I found the printed confirmation (you will need it) and then she found one room which we gave to our friends. The next night while walking in a young mother with two small children was distressed as the front desk scrambled to find her room. Confirm your reservation and print it before you try and stay here. I left a note with the front desk for the manager, who never contacted me. The building and grounds are nice, views of the water great, rest of the staff pleasant. hotel is walking distance to downtown, but the side walk is in very poor condition and it's over a mile. The bus service in season is good, but stops at many hotels so slow and ends early so not available if you are out late. I would recommend staying closer to downtown and some where else. There are a lot of non chain hotels and bed & breakfast hotels that were not sold out while all the major chains were when we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Dear Mike T,

Ferdinand G
Aix-en-Provence, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Despite a nice location this huge hotel has very old fashion ugly rooms.
Rooms on the restaurant roof are noisy due to the air conditioning system.
Breakfast was bad: coffee and eggs really not good.
Service was poor.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Grizz64,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are glad you liked the fine location of our hotel. We would like to apologize you were not well satisfied with the room you had and our breakfast selections. We also apologize for the service you received fell below your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Minnetonka, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

After the awful awful screw-up at check-in our stay was not bad. I'll start with the bad first. Upon driving in, there is not a sign that specifies that the Bar Harbor Regency (there is a sign for that) is the Holiday Inn. We turned off by the little Holiday Inn sign but there is nothing to indicate that there is a reception and we later finally figured out that the sign for the Bar Harbor Regency is indeed the one for the Holiday Inn. Note: the Holiday Inn sign is actually the sign by the Eden House.

We had booked a King Kid Suite as their were 4 of us and we needed 3 beds. Upon arrival we were told that they had overbooked that room type and had no more left but that they would give us an upgrade for the room. Only problem was they were only giving us 2 beds and we needed 3. After being told by the manager that there was nothing he could do to get us 2 rooms so that we would have 3 beds we were at a loss. They expected us to pay for another room when it was their fault in the first place that we even had a problem. Eventually, we were told that he would split the rate between two rooms so that we didn't have to pay for a second room (again, this was AFTER being told that he could not comp us a room because his "revenue manager" would get upset). We tried very hard to not let this impact our entire stay but it definitely did. All I can say is that the manager should be given the power to fix a very bad situation because it was as if he did not have the authority to do what needed to be done to fix it.

Breakfast was very delicious but expensive so if it doesn't come with your room I'm not sure it's worth it. The grounds are lovely and the pool area looks right out over the water which was such a nice way to spend the late afternoon after a day out sightseeing.

Overall, I would say that there were probably better options for our stay in Bar Harbor

Room Tip: The Eden House is not awful if you are ok not being in the main building, having no security into th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
Dear skiergirl92,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

This hotel is really nicely located and very family-friendly. The rooms are clean, and many have a beautiful ocean-view. It has excellent amenities, restaurants, pool and jacuzzi. Its excellent location makes it very convenient to visit downtown Bar Harbor (about 1.5 miles away) as well as Acadia National Park (the hotel is practically opposite the main entrance). There's also a shuttle bus system that can take you both to downtown Bar Harbor and to Acadia National Park.

We visited during peak season, things were really busy, and the front desk staff were not particularly nice. They were professional, but not very nice and accommodating. I would have also loved for breakfast to be included. All in all, I would still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

My husband and I have stayed here several times over the past few years. I am shocked that Corporate has not been notified of the LACK of management! Upon arrival, there were 2 young clerks dealing with upset customers. The line was from the front desk to the outside of the door. No management came out to assist. Once a clerk went to get a manager, he quickly disappeared. Not one person was happy!! Rooms at 4:30 were not ready. The internet did not work in our room, TV was so blurry we could not watch it, coffee maker did not work. Handle to hot water came off when I tried to turn on. We stayed for 3 days. We were told the hotel was sold out Sat. but we could move on Sunday. Sunday came and went to front desk. Clerk said, he checked with management and we could check later in day to move to another room. We booked Partial Ocean view. We got a partial pool view at best. The talk at the pool and the Tikki bar was about how dissatisfied customers were. I went back to front desk and this time was told I would have to PAY to upgrade. I was shocked! I asked to speak to Manager and she was the same Manager who had been at an extended lunch at Stewman's and hanging at Tikki bar. She did not Listen to me and raised her voice like I knew nothing. I'm was Shocked at her tone. I told her how astonished I was to hear her speak to a guest that way. The other guests behind me said I don't even want to check in here! The other guest said well, I'm dealing with the same issues! The hotel was not full. We should have been moved to another room or upgraded to full ocean view free. We do not look for "FREE" but do expect RESPECT and what we paid for. The room and hallways were sprayed with some type of deorderizer to mask the musty smell which made it worse. The bartender at the Italian restaurant put a bill in front of us before he served me a capucino and forgot the tiramusi. My husband asked for espresso martini and said I don't have recipe for that. I have Patron. I said Patron is a tequila. Espresso martini is with Espresso vodka. He was like whatever and walked away. He was rude and sloppy. Looked like he slept in his clothes and came to work. I have stayed at many Ocean Properties and have never witnessed such a disregard to customers. We will not stay here again. Very sad! Totally disgusted!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
Dear SSanborn,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

John O
Budd Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

The room was very clean. The staff was able to give me the same deal that I had the night before while the phone reservations would not. The pool is nice and the food was ok. The only problem I had was that the tiki bar and restaurants and room service all closed at 10pm:( There is nothing around there to order so make sure you eat before 10... We had a partial ocean view room on the main floor and it was very nice with a balcony.

Room Tip: I loved my room on the main floor with a partial ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency? Share your experiences!