“Reasonable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Reasonable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Couldn't get room with ocean view, reasonably good accommodation, clean, free standard internet, about 2 miles drive to Acadia National Park, about 6 mikes drive to Cadillac Mountain top for the amazing Sun rise view, plenty of parking, one may not consider it a great family hotel.

Room Tip: Book rooms with ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Eben S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our resort. You can't go wrong with a Cadillac sunrise!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I am a platinum elite member and I travel a great deal so I always stay in an ihg property. We have been in an 18 day east coast road trip so this was our last stop before flying home. I booked this room 2 months ahead of time for this trip. When we checked in a rude person checked us in and we did not get the room we requested. We had stayed here several years ago and so I knew to ask for an ocean view room. She told me they were completely sold out which was a lie. Because I checked my app on my phone and they were not. And they had rooms available all 3 nights we were here. I have never had any problems like this in all my travels. So I took the room she gave us just to keep from causing a scene in the lobby. When I got to the room I called the manager (Andrew). And he told me he would upgrade me to an ocean view room as soon as they had one cleaned that day. So we just went out to the pool area and enjoyed the peacefulness and the beautiful scenes. Andrew had the bell man move out stuff to the ocean view room and in about an hour our room was available. So thankful that Andrew saved the day. I will stay here again if we come back to this area. It is in a good location but it is not walkable to down town unless you want to walk 2 miles in one direction. But as far as the room it was always clean and the beds are comfortable. Housekeeping does a good job. I just hope you don't have the lady that first checked us in. I failed to get her name.

Stayed July 2014
I'm sorry the beginning of your stay was not perfect, and I'm glad to hear Andrew sorted out your room issue. Hopefully you were able to enjoy the rest of your visit. Thanks for the review.
San Clemente, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

So, there is a reason why this Holiday Inn is rated at 33 of 40 hotels (Actually only 39 since #40 is closed), it just doesn't come up to the standards of what makes a great hotel.
First of all, as a business traveler, I stay in Holiday Inn Expresses, Hampton Inns, Hilton Garden Inns, and Comfort Suites all the time. I know what an "average" property looks like, and the service that it gives. If you check out my other reviews, I think you will find that I review hotels fairly.
But THIS place is a "Resort". That means it has multiple restaurants, a bell desk, property to walk around, Tennis Courts, Pool, upgraded suites, Views of the Ocean...
BUT... it looks tired. it needs renovation. The Grandfather clock in the elevator Lobby looks out of place, the front doors don't open automatically, the Elevators are slow (but have a beautiful glass wall view towards the ocean).
Reason for giving my score:
1. Service: We arrived at 4:00... well after the 3:00 check-in... We had to wait in line... then, the room wasn't ready. We were asked for our phone number and they would call us in 45 minutes... at 5:00 they finally called. Score: Poor
2. Platinum member: What? No Upgrade? OK, i know that upgrades are optional, and when available... But being a Platinum member takes a lot of stays... I am just saying... Score: Average (Not knocking them down for this).
3. Cleanliness: Room: It was very clean... but this is expected for anyplace that I stay. nothing exceptional here: Score: Very Good.
4. Room "Niceness": I am sorry... but this just isn't a "resort" room... I have been to many other hotels which have nicer rooms. TV: Tiny, FURNITURE: Worn Out (Chips in wood of Chest), Beds: Comfortable, BALCONY: What is that? Our room LOOKS like it has one from the outside... but there is no door to get there.. you can step through the window if you want. BATHROOM: Large size and clean. As I normally do, I am scoring this on "what is expected" for the price... Score: Poor
5. Internet: Very bad in my room (#333) I ended up using my hotspot and got better speed (with only 2 bars). Score: Very Bad
Overall Score: Poor

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View if you want one, otherwise, you have a balcony (with no doorway onto it) overl...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear timshuwy,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Benson, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

When we checked into the hotel it took us over an hour to get our room. The first person we talked to said we were in one building and then an hour later when we were finally told out room was ready we got put in a different building after we had already brought all of our things to the first building they said we were in. We had no view except trees outside our room.This hotel was a little way out of Bar Harbor so we had to drive into town. Parking was very difficult.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Eben S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Sorry about the room confusion. We usually do much better.
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife and I were passing through and needed a place to stay. we looked on line and booked a room at the last minute. We got a great deal here and anything else available was $80 more a night. No, we were not in the main building. we have been before and this time were just looking for a cheap room. we were on the property at the Eden house. it is probably 100 yards from the main building.

We ate at Stewart's lobster pound and had the lobster dinner. It was very good. the prices were not bad for being on the resort with a beautiful view of the harbor. The rains were pouring and we did not want to go downtown on the motorcycle anyway. Even in the rain, the view from the restaurant was excellent. They only use paper products to serve in that restaurant. (I think they don't want glass down there for safety reasons) I found this to be a little of a turn off. It isn't very green and for the money,, I don't expect to have wine in a plastic cup.

The room was clean, the king bed was comfortable. Breakfast was not included in our room. We were going to eat the buffet but it didn't open until 7am and were were on the road at 630 home.

i enjoyed the stay and would stay again..

Room Tip: get a budget room on site at the eden room at the last minute...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Awesome! If you are going to have lobster you may as well enjoy it 5 feet from the water!!!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Room booked as "accessible with roll in shower" barely qualifies and doubtful that it meets ADA standards. Door is standard width and to maneuver wheelchair in bathroom requires making multiple turns in the shower itself. Probably can't do it in a large wheelchair. Horizontal grab bar is attached to the sink at an unusual height. There is no vertical grab bar. No room for knees under the sink making it difficult to use from a wheelchair. Requested a shower seat and was informed none was available.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for the feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed at the resort for two nights, July 23 & 24th! When we arrived (late) the room we booked was not available, we were automatically upgraded to a suite! Front desk staff were pleasant and professional. We enjoyed relaxing views, the hot tub, and even the laundry room the morning it rained. We would go back!!!

Room Tip: Ocean View!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Great! Sometimes timing is everything!!

Been to Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency? Share your experiences!