“A very nice Hotel loaded with amenities.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
manchester nh
“A very nice Hotel loaded with amenities.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

You have to be careful in Bar Harbor as there are so many hotels and all are not right in Bar Harbor as advertised. With this hotel we were told it was a short 5 minute walk downtown but it was more like 20+ minutes. It was much easier to take the car. But there is a But, What I liked about staying just outside of the "town area" was much much more room. Well landscaped grounds, a restaurant, pool and pool bar. the views from the pool are breath taking. The hotel is very clean. It does cost more but if you want the best, you want to avoid discount hotels and pony up for the best.

Room Tip: If you want to save money, choose the non ocean front rooms, the savings are big. if you want or lov...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We had done our research before booking this hotel but still didn't really know what to expect from this hotel for our 3 night stay
We were more than pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the property as the location was simply gorgeous . The hotel is right on the ocean with lovely views along the coastline. Our room was clean, large and reasonably well furnished - the bathroom was pretty standard but overall the accomodation was very good - especially at the price. We had booked a room with two doubles ( sea view/ balcony ) as we we were travelling with our son. We did have a seaview - but being on the ground floor this was obscured somewhat by the trees in the adjoining garden/ pool area. Would have preferred to have been on a higher floor - but I should have thought of this when booking.
The hotel was great - the pool area was fabulous with lovely views and the restaurants on site were very good. Bar Harbor is very nice indeed and, as to be expected, very busy so parking can be a bit of an issue. This problem is solved by the frequent hotel bus service into town which provides stress free access .
The Acacia National Park is awesome and this hotel is the perfect platform from which to explore its delights

Room Tip: Book sea view - not ground floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Marlborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

After reading all of the reviews which we very mixed, we decided we would just risk it as there was not much affordable (ie under $300 per night) that was available. We stayed here for 4 nights. When we checked in on Saturday (8/11), I asked if we could be upgraded from our room in the Frenchman Bay building (which is not attached to the main building) to an ocean view. Unfortunately, not only were they sold out, they were actually overbooked and were moving people to their sister hotel right in downtown. Our room (2006) was ok, nothing special, and overlooked the road. As others have stated, there was no hotel guide, which I thought was odd. We decided to try again on Sunday morning to see if we could move for the rest our stay. They were able to do this and we changed to an ocean view room (354). The view was phenomenal, overlooking the beautiful grounds, pool, and ocean. I do have to say, however, that it was a bit of a struggle to get what I thought was the correct rate for this new room. I was quoted what the front desk said was their standard amount to upgrade to any room. I didn't quite understand this and so logged in to the computer in the lobby and was able to get a rate that was $30 more than I was currently paying and $30 less than I was being quoted. After some back and forth, the front desk was able to find a rate for me that was only slightly more than I was already paying. I understand that they are just looking at whatever their screen says, but it was very strange. If I hadn't made them look for a better rate, would they have just charge me the higher rate?? When we checked out, the fourth night was not the amount that I was quoted, so I had to go down and have the bill adjusted which was not a problem. The pool was great. My kids had fun in it both on the gorgeous days we were there and on the day it was foggy and rainy. They enjoyed the hot tub as well. The hotel is close to town and close to Acadia. We will definitely stay here again next summer, but probably for a longer time. Four nights is just not enough time to see everything in Bar Harbor.

Tabernacle, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We arrived at 9:30PM and had requested to stay in the main building via two reservation calls. When we arrived at our room, it was not in the main building but in an annex building on the 3rd floor and no elevator. 12 trips up and down the steps. We went to go to bed and found the previous guest's clothes in the bed and strands of hair. We called the desk to have the beds changed. 45 minutes, no response, we called again. Within 10 minutes a man showed up with one sheet. It was now 11PM and both children were in beyond mode. We tried to explain we need the entire bedding changed. He finally understood. He was extremely nice and indicated he would notify supervision. The next day we heard nothing from the management so we went to the front desk. The manager was extremely apologetic and did make good on the night. our room was missing a chair and a desk. We were told by the front desk staff that all rooms have one chair but upon looking at other rooms, they all had two. But definitely not a good experience for a $230 a night room. The rest of the hotel was very nice, the staff was awesome and the views spectacular. One other concern. None of the fire doors had latches.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

There are not a lot of large hotels on MDI so Holiday sort of owns that market. It is a nice hotel but not great. There is so much potential they are currently not utilizing. As for our stay, My kids loved the heated pool and the view is incredible. The rooms were standard and in need of renovation but were adequate. They were a bit understaffed at the front desk each time I had questions in person and by phone. I had to wait a considerable amount for each time. Overall it works for a family visiting for a week but it is not great.

• Stayed July 2012
Presque Isle, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed in room 114 this weekend, which is considered a "king sized room with ocean view" that cost me over $300. My fiance and I were going away for a little getaway, and she liked the ocean view idea, so I thought, what the hey, I'll splurge a little. Be wary when getting the ocean view room because the picture on their site is very misleading! Thats a picture perfect room on maybe the third or fourth floor. We got stuck on the first floor for the same price and our "ocean view" was pretty well blocked by the hotel restaurant that juts out past our room, the gazebo in behind the hotel, the hotel pool, and a bunch of trees. I could have got a regular room for a lot less and had about the same view. Besides that the "balcony" is nothing more than a cement slab with a metal railing across the front and we only had 1 chair to sit on. I wasnt too impressed. On the other hand the room itself was very nice and clean, and the staff was very friendly. The restaurant La Bella Vita at the hotel is also very nice, delicious, and reasonably priced. There was a nice lit path from the hotel down to the ocean we walked along at night which was nice. Overall it was an awesome stay, but definately will be more careful paying for the ocean view next time.

Room Tip: If you want a good ocean view, make sure to call to book your room and request a higher floor room i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangor, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I give the hotel a average grade due to the age of the hotel itself and some of the dysfunction. The room was nice enough and comfortable, but the laundry carts stationed just outside my room drove me insane. They were there every morning and afternoon. May I suggest that you find a better system for this process. The elevators were very slow and there is no central air, so the hallways and elevators were very stuffy. I also was given a room in the former Fairfield Inn and I was managing a 50 person customer event, really wish that the planner told me where the partial view rooms were located. However, the manager found me a "no view" room in the Main Inn which was good. The food and service in the Bella Vita(?) was excellent. The pool and hot tub had an excellent view and were a prefect temperature. Very successful event...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency? Share your experiences!