“Not as bad as other reviews indicate” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ledgelawn Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Ledgelawn Inn
You added Ledgelawn Inn to your Saves list
66 Mount Desert Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #39 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Massachusetts
“Not as bad as other reviews indicate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

I stayed there with 2 friends over the Columbus Day long weekend. After reading the other reviews on this site I was dreading our stay. I'm happy to report that the hotel isn't as bad as nearly everyone reviewed. Its best feature is undoubtedly its location - its an easy 5 minute walk to the heart of downtown Bar Harbor, and the shops/restaurants. There is ample parking. The hotel is clearly in need of some updating. The ceiling paint was peeling, as was the wallpaper. However, the rooms were very clean, and the staff was surprisingly attentive. When we checked in we were offered a discount on our room because of a small problem, which I frankly wouldn't have expected to be compensated for. The front desk clerk was working hard to check us in, serve afternoon drinks, and guide guests with their questions. Yet when we requested more towels for our room she had them up to us within 5 minutes. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that this is not a luxurious B&B (in fact, as others have mentioned, they don't serve a hot breakfast), but then again, they don't charge luxury prices. Its a clean, quiet B&B with a great location at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Solo
Essex, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

This was a one night stay with an early morning departure to catch the CAT to Yarmouth, NS. The room (229) was a single room with a double bed. The mattress was so old and worn that it sagged significantly in the centre. The "hot" water was tepid; there was an electrical fault on a lamp - it went on and off as you moved it. Corridors were dirty with litter.

The receptionist was helpful . She gave a good recommendation for an Italian restaurant (Guinness & Porcelli's) walking distance from the Inn. She also arranged to have our breakfast available at 0600 hrs. Trouble was, the breakfast room was locked - we could see the laid-out breakfast but no one was around. I left a note at reception to this effect but no one has contacted me to apologise (yes, I know I'm
being naive here).

We stayed at 7 other inns in New England during our trip. Ledgelawn was easily the worst on every count and one of the most expensive (US$ 170). Don't.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Spring Hill
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Place is not kept clean, run by students from Russian Student Workers. Bills itself as a "Bed and Breakfast", but only had stale muffins and coffee.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Fayetteville, Ga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

My husband and I have stayed twice in the last 20 years and LOVED IT!!! When I travelled to Maine with a co-worker this week I couldn't say enough GOOS things about the Ledgelawn and I really thought we would both enjoy our stay HOWEVER.......IT WAS SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT!! The staff were like in a fog instead of being friendly and helpful and appeared to really not want to be there. When I asked if we could have wine from "The wine bar" we were met with a look ..like we were interrupting a favorite t.v. show or something......but finally received our wine...but when we went to get the young lady to pour us another she had left her "office" sooooo we waited and she finally came in and poured us another. Instead of being a relaxed feeling it was like we felt we should be making apologies for actually asking for something that they should have be Happy to offer us because THEY CARED if we would be returning!!!!! I don't think they care what we thought. The room #321 is the one I have stayed in each visit but OMGosh!!!! When we opened the door it was like it had not been opened for months!!!! It was so hot and stuffy so I opened a window (with NO SCREEN) and turned on the air conditioner but it never cooled off. Window unit just was useless!!!!! A fine place like that should have central heat and air by now. Our "breakfast" which used to be GREAT now consisted of a few blueberry muffins and the TINY lemon poppy ones. Had to ask for water and napkinsand cutlery. SOOOOO DISAPPOINTED AND EMBARRASSED THAT I HAD INSISTED THAT WE STAY THERE TO MY FRIEND!!!!! The paint in our room on the ceiling was so chipped it was about to fall and NO HOT WATER to shower!! The innkeeper person left her "office" BUT left a note about NO WATER and said we could use theirs..don't know where that was...we didn't....had already had a COLD shower before dressing. The staff reminded me of college kids that just didn't care about the "older" people that paid over $200 SO THEY COULD GET A PAYCHECK!!!!! I would not recommend this place to anyone in it's present state!!!!! SOOOOO SAD!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Ledgelawn Inn is about three blocks from Main St. in Bar Harbor. Main St. is the tourist street with many places to shop and eat. Ledgelawn is nice and clean. They have free internet, but it didn't work in our room. We had to use it in the lounge area. The lounge area has a fireplace and comfy couches. The breakfast is what is advertised and nothing more, muffins and coffee.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

It's all been said. So for the sake of seeming redundant, I'll just say DITTO on all the negative comments made. Also agree that the Dawn at the desk was a sweetheart, and did her best to work with a bad situation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Depew,Ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

This Inn must have been extrodinary in it's day. Some rooms are in excellant shape,but others could use some cosmetics. Overall the place is oozing with turn of the century charm. The rooms are enormous and many would be great for families. We had no reservations but call on day of arrival and got queen room for $99 with roomsaver coupon(found at thruway rest stops through northeast) and a call to confirm availability with the coupon. We decided to stay a second night and they had no single rooms available except for pet stay rooms, so the gave us the Turret suite for the same price!!! I would not pay the prices they have listed on their site-that would be too much because the only amenity is continental breakfast. The pool is long ago neglected with brown water and leaves, hot tub was obviously not in use for some time either! Call ahead and negotiate-see what they can do! It is in short walking distance to all the shops and restraurants downtown

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ledgelawn Inn? Share your experiences!