“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 40 hotels in Bar Harbor
Virginia Beach, VA
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2005

We stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn from June 19-25 taking advantage of the Spring Fling Package, giving us two dinners and all of our breakfasts at the Reading Room, a lobsterbake at the Terrace Grille, a sunset cruise on the Margaret Todd and more. We upgraded to an ocean view room, which I highly recommend. The view is spectacular! Just the patio alone is worth the price.

The room was nice, not extraordinary, but very nice and very comfortable. Super clean. Everyone of the staff was gracious and welcoming. The food was quite good, maybe not five star, but certainly four star.

Now if I wanted to nit-pick, I would suggest putting jetted tubs into those rooms and also upgrading the poolside jacuzzi. It would be nice if people would respect the "no children under 12 in the jacuzzi" rule plainly posted as well as the "no smoking" signs on the patio balconies too. Honestly, this is a no smoking hotel, so if you find it too restricting to smoke outside on the grounds, please just find a different hotel to stay at. Complaints to the front desk are handled quickly and discreetly though, to their credit.

This is an excellent choice for a luxury stay for couples, honeymooners, etc. Extremely convenient to all the fun shopping, restaurants and of course, Acadia National Park. What a treasure that is!

We would definitely go back. Thank you, Bar Harbor Inn, for a delightful vacation!

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2005

We stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn from June 24 - 27, 2005 on a Summer Sensation Package which included a dinner at the Reading Room, the Rose Garden at the Bluenose Inn, and a tour of the bay on the Margaret Todd. It was an excellent time - the staff was very helpful and friendly and the Inn is at a good location - walking distance from all the Bar Harbor action!

We could have spent $500 extra for a room with an ocean view but we opted for the cheapest package which put us in the Newport building. It would have been nice to have a balcony and view of the bay, but our room was very clean with updated bathroom.

I recommend taking a drive around Mount Desert Island and stopping at various places such as the quiet Northeast Harbor, the Azelea Gardens, Seawall. Also, Arcadia National Park is awesome. If you rent a sea kayak, the folks at Acadia Coastal Kayaking on Cottage Street were the best.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2005

My husband and I traveled to Bar Harbor for our first anniversary. We stayed at the Inn 6/6-6/11. We had a second floor room in the Ocean View Lodge. Amazing view of the water and partial view of the harbor. Spacious room, comfortable funishings and SPOTLESS! (Thank you Shirley!) We had a package deal and ate breakfast in the Reading Room each morning. Truly wonderful staff. Very accommodating, warm and friendly. We actually got to know a few of the servers throughout the week. It was so nice to have "familiar faces" greet us each day. We ate dinner in the Reading Room two nights as well as eating at the Grille for lunch. Again, wonderful attentive service and very, very good meals. The Inn is the best location in Bar Harbor without a doubt. Walking distance to anything you'd want to see locally. Acadia is beautiful and worth the time to see. There was some minor construction to the left of the Inn- a little detraction from the overall atmosphere- -but was almost finished when we checked out. I wouldn't think twice about staying here again and wouldn't even consider any other property. I have absolutely nothing negative to say except leaving made me very, very sad. I can't wait to return!!

• Stayed June 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2005

OK, so I am going to try to give the Bar Harbor Inn as complete a review as possible. My husband and I just came back from our honeymoon in Bar Harbor and we stayed five nights in the inn.

First, let me just say that coming to the inn after spending our wedding night at Jurys Hotel in Boston was a letdown. Jurys was so tasteful and luxurious, and cheaper than the BHI. So when I walked into our room at the inn, I was disappointed. The fireplace wasn't as wonderful as I thought it would be. The jetted tub was just a regular-size bathtub with jets, and our balcony, while it was a good vantage point to look at the harbor, was well within view of everyone chowing down in the restaurant. We decided that it wasn't worth the $221/night to stay there, so we went to the front desk to ask about checking out early. When they learned we were unhappy, they upgraded our room to a split level suite. Then, it became worth the money. The jetted tub in the suite was roomy enough for two people and the balcony was more private.

Here's the good: fabulous continental breakfast, the BEST hotel property in town, hands down (but if you stay in the cheaper building, this doesn't matter too much)-- you will not get better harbor views from any other hotel. Quality furniture and good lighting in the rooms. Nice bathroom fixtures. Plush towels. Great service, friendly people. Bathrobes to use while you are there. Great location in relation to downtown Bar Harbor, whale watches and nature cruises-- literally, a one to two minute walk. You can roll out of bed, buy your souveniers, then hop on a whale watch all within 10 minutes if you're really motivated.

The bad: Non-suites not worth the price, in my humble opinion. But then again, it's all about location, and like I said earlier, you can't beat the Bar Harbor Inn's location. Like I said earlier, the fireplaces weren't what I envisioned. They're not conducive to wanting to curl up with your honey-- they seem more functional for warmth. Also, the jetted tubs are really just regular bathtubs with jets.

The ugly: The wallpaper border and the comforters. It's like someone on acid with bad taste did the decorating and decided that clashing floral patterns was the way to go. No thanks! If only they had solid colors and nixed the clashing county-style theme, this place would be so much better. I was laying in bed wishing I could paint over the border. I'm not usually anal about stuff like that, but it's distracting and not soothing. They should call Jurys and get some pointers.

All in all, if you have the dough, it's a great place. If you're looking for a cheap-o getaway, I would consider any of the other umpteen places in town that don't have an Internet presence, but are strewn throughout town.

Hillsborough, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2005

I spent 4 nights (Monday, 5/23 - Thursday, 5/26/05) at this property. It has the most incredible view of Frenchman's Bay. It is only a short walk from all of the wonderful shops in downtown Bar Harbor. Most of all, the staff are superb with an attention to detail unlike any property in the world that I have ever stayed in. From the moment you arrive, the doorman, the front desk staff, the gift shop staff, The Reading Room dining room staff, the free Contintental Breakfast buffet staff, and last (but certainly NOT least) the maid who cleaned my room every day. In summary, I'd highly recommend this property!!! I can't wait to stay there again myself!
Acadia National Park on Mt. Dessert Island in truly a national treasure that all should see. Having grown up with the sandy beaches of North Carolina, the contrasting rocky shoreline of Maine is a treat.

Charles Finch
9 Sagamore Place
Hillsborough, N.C. 27278-974
(919) 471-6367
(919) 471-6082 FAX

• Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

We recently stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn and found it very relaxing. The staff were all very friendly. The food was great. The service was great. The views and location are fabulous!

Been to Bar Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!