“The highest of recommendations for the Inn at Bay Ledge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Bay Ledge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Inn at Bay Ledge
You added Inn at Bay Ledge to your Saves list
150 Sand Point Road, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #15 of 33 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Boston Ma
“The highest of recommendations for the Inn at Bay Ledge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

My wife and I just stayed at the Inn at Bay Ledge – our second year in a row. The entire experience was delightful, both years. The view can’t be beat – you literally look out over an 80 foot cliff to the open ocean and views of surrounding cliffs. Location is perfect – a few minutes from down town Bar Harbor and only moments from Acadia Park. The hosts Jack and Jean were hospitable and made us feel very welcome. Breakfast was great – and the views from the dining room equally amazing. If we go to Bar Harbor again next year, we will definitely be staying there again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

My husband and I just spent our 13th anniversary at the Inn at Bay Ledge and it was truly a dream. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by the gorgeous Atlantic ocean (the Inn sits atop an 80 foot cliff overlooking Frenchman's Bay) and the wonderfully charming staff. The Inn is cozy and warm making it easy to feel at home and the accommodating staff and owners made us never want to leave. We stayed in the Deer Cabin a small building across from the Inn in a beautiful pine grove...it was perfect! The room was large but still quaint, the bed was so comfortable with hundreds of soft pillows and a cute gas fireplace would light up at night keeping us cozy and warm. Each morning we rose early to sip fresh coffee on the breathtaking porch overlooking the ocean then as the morning passed we were treated to spectacular breakfasts and great conversation with the other guests and owners. Our four day/three night stay went by far too quickly and we were both quite sad to go. Inn Keepers Jack and Jeani have created a truly special place at the Inn at Bay Ledge. We will be forever grateful for their hospitality and kindness and will most certainly be back!

Providence, RI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

What to say about our stay at Inn at Bay Ledge? Well, disappointment abounds, and I do not say that lightly. Here were the issues:

1. Cleanliness: The room was generally orderly; the bed was always made and new towels always provided. But we arrived to a very dirty bathroom floor (see picture) that had hair left over from previous inhabitants. The floor tiles were moldy in many places and so was the shower stall. In addition to being moldy, the stall was also claustrophobically narrow.

2. Comfort: Don't know about other rooms, but our bed was lumpy and lop-sided. The right side was higher than the left by a good 5 inches. And while we only used the day bed as a sitting area, the mattress was extremely slanted. No mattress in the room was comfortable at all. The air conditioning worked, but the individual window unit was so noisy, we could hear the other cottage rooms running their air conditioning all night. We had to turn ours off because it was so noisy we couldn't sleep. Finally, we woke one morning to some heavy rain and it sounded like someone was running a jack hammer on the roof!

3. Appearance: Ever wonder why the pictures of rooms are so tiny on the website of the Inn at Bay Ledge? That may be so that you cannot see details of how dingy or shabby the room is. Everything in the room had a very cheap and shoddy feel to it. For example, in addition to the lumpy beds, the closet door always sits ajar because the door is too big for the frame and it would not close. The floor of our room was slanted between the king bed and the day bed. And the area between the carpet and the tiles is crusty and dirty. There is nothing luxurious about this unit.

4. Food and Service: The Inn alternated between serving savory and sweet foods for breakfast on a daily basis. First, guests would help themselves to a small selection of cold food (hard-boiled egg and either muffins or pita with salsa (yes, for breakfast!); stale granola was also available) and coffee or tea. Then, the staff would serve juice and a tiny cup of mixed fruit (yummy, but tiny). Then the staff would give us a small serving of warm food. The food was sometimes good, sometimes mediocre. But if you did not like the ONE warm dish the staff was serving for the day, you were out of luck. One day, the staff even completely forgot to serve me breakfast altogether. But since the food did not look very good, and I was in a hurry, I decided to skip it. I am a very good eater, and it takes a LOT for me to skip a meal. Essentially, breakfast was not satisfying. Afternoon tea consisted of coffee or tea and cookies.

5. Location: We liked that the Inn was not located in Bar Harbor. We thought that the Inn was far enough away to provide enough seclusion, but close enough to be convenient. But readers should be forewarned that the private beach below the Inn does not actually have true caves. They are more like shallow crevices that will someday become caves (maybe in about 200 years). And the private beach below the cliff of the Inn is very slippery and lined with mussel shells (imagine a beach where sand is replaced by large pieces of slimy shells). Be very careful in your descent if you choose to visit the beach. We had an small slip and a minor injury (cut).

6. Over all: We paid way too much money ($175 per night) for such a shoddy room, skimpy breakfast, and mediocre service. We will not return and do not recommend it to anyone else. We're also a little baffled at the good reviews of this place except to remark that non of the other reviewers shared photos of their rooms. Perhaps there was a reason for that?

Of final note, the Inn leaves pre-printed envelops in each room as a reminder that guests leave a tip. On each envelop, it says, "The Inn at Bay Ledge. For your chambermaid. Pour votre femme de chambre. Thank you. Merci." What class!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lehighton, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

My husband and I came to the Inn at Bay Ledge for our honeymoon. We arrived very late at night and it was a little difficult to find for the first time in the dark. However, we found it within a couple of minutes of looking and they had left a note and key to the room for us. We stayed in Bear Cottage and were immediatly impressed the moment we walked in the door. There is an absolutely beautiful stone fireplace and the bed was SO comfortable. The cottage was very private - so it was perfect for our honeymoon. Jack and Jeani are fantastic innkeepers. Jeani's breakfasts were absolutely amazing every morning - I loved her homemade granola. Jack is probably the only Yankees fan north of Boston, which made us feel at home. The dining room and porch (where you may also eat breakfast) look out over Frenchman's Bay. However, the Inn is a couple miles from town - so it is so quiet and peaceful. There is a beautiful garden before you get to the ledge over the pebble beach - where there are 2 chairs to just watch the ocean. There is a staircase in the backyard that leads down to the beach. My husband and I spent a great deal of time on that beach skipping stones, searching for sea glass and just walking. Jack and Jeani had a ton of suggestions on how to go about seeing the most (and best parts) of the island, as well as where the best places are to eat. We loved getting up for breakfast every morning to see Woody and Maggie, as we missed our dogs who were at home. They were as sweet and gentle as could be. We can't wait to go back to Bar Harbor and visit Jack and Jeani again. It was the PERFECT B&B for the perfect honeymoon! :)

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

The Inn at Bay Ledge has a wonderful setting -- atop a rocky cliff overlooking Frenchman's Bay. It's a few miles outside the busy little tourist town of Bar Harbor -- easy to drive to but far enough away to be tranquil. The grounds are beautiful, and the veranda overlooking the bay is fabulous -- lots of comfy wicker chairs, a porch swing, etc. The inn is full of intriguing little places to sit and read, drink a glass of wine or cup of coffee, or just chill out.

The innkeepers, Jeanie and Jack, are delightful, and their staff is outstanding, too. The atmosphere they create is friendly and congenial. Breakfast each morning was great -- consisting of something fresh-baked -- a scone or a muffin -- and a hot entree, along with fresh fruit, juices, and coffee.

I would definitely recommend this inn to friends or family, and hope to return someday!

While you're in Bar Harbor, make reservations at the Burning Tree restaurant -- great food and service!

New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

I hate to give a bad review, but I've been to a lot of B&Bs, and this one deserves it.

First, the room. We had one of the cottages across the road, and it was like a trailer (as in, it sounded like a tin can getting pounded loudly all night when it rained), not a cottage - it is a long mobile home type of structure divided into rooms. And the bathroom seemed like the bathroom in an RV with one of those strange plastic-lined stalls. It was generally very shabby.

Second, some of the staff (well, at least one I recall) were nice, as were the owners when I spoke with them which wasn't much, but two stood out as quite unhelpful. One of the breakfast servers (who we had to deal with each morning) acted very strangely and kind of rudely when serving breakfast, and I literally have no idea why she behaved that way (complete with eye rolling). One morning, the breakfast quiche included a vegetable I am allergic to, so my companion asked if I could get something else (maybe just eggs) and she brusquely said 'no' and took the dish away. When we were leaving, I asked whether I could use the B&B's office computer to print a boarding pass, and I was refused without explanation by the woman manning the inn that afternoon. I find that strange. B&Bs in the Northeast I've been to always let you use the computer for boarding pass printing. It's totally standard.

Third, the breakfast. The baked good of the day (the small muffin or whatever) was very good, but the main dishes were mediocre (the mornings that I could eat it - obviously, not the morning I was allergic to it and couldn't eat it) and quite small. We found it really lesser in quality what we have experienced in other B&Bs (the delicious breakfasts at the Liberty Hill Inn in Yarmouthport, MA come to mind, and I've reviewed that place here).

Mind you, all of this and it was not cheap - quite the opposite. I spent about $200 a night for this experience.

To leave it on a positive note, I will say there is a lovely view from the porch, which is nice for late afternoon relaxing, and it is a neat feature to be able to walk down to the little rocky beach area right from the B&B. But I would definitely not stay here again. I am not sure where all these people giving this B&B good reviews stayed, but I really can't imagine it was the same place I did.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

This was our first experience in a B&B (Inn) and we are now spoiled! The Inn is lovely and elegant but very relaxing....not stuffy at all. The view of the bay from the porch (lined with wicker lounges) is breathtaking. And we were greeted each morning by Woody....the adorable white standard poodle who was a perfect gentleman! The service was perfect and the breakfast was delicious. The Inn is a short drive to Bar Harbor (shops, restaurants, etc.) and 5 minutes from Acadia National Park (a must see!!) I would recommend this Inn to all!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Bay Ledge? Share your experiences!