“Exceeded expectations!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Bay Ledge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Inn at Bay Ledge
You added Inn at Bay Ledge to your Saves list
150 Sand Point Road, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #15 of 33 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Nashville, Tennessee
“Exceeded expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

The Inn at Bay Ledge has a wonderful setting -- atop a rocky cliff overlooking Frenchman's Bay. It's a few miles outside the busy little tourist town of Bar Harbor -- easy to drive to but far enough away to be tranquil. The grounds are beautiful, and the veranda overlooking the bay is fabulous -- lots of comfy wicker chairs, a porch swing, etc. The inn is full of intriguing little places to sit and read, drink a glass of wine or cup of coffee, or just chill out.

The innkeepers, Jeanie and Jack, are delightful, and their staff is outstanding, too. The atmosphere they create is friendly and congenial. Breakfast each morning was great -- consisting of something fresh-baked -- a scone or a muffin -- and a hot entree, along with fresh fruit, juices, and coffee.

I would definitely recommend this inn to friends or family, and hope to return someday!

While you're in Bar Harbor, make reservations at the Burning Tree restaurant -- great food and service!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

I hate to give a bad review, but I've been to a lot of B&Bs, and this one deserves it.

First, the room. We had one of the cottages across the road, and it was like a trailer (as in, it sounded like a tin can getting pounded loudly all night when it rained), not a cottage - it is a long mobile home type of structure divided into rooms. And the bathroom seemed like the bathroom in an RV with one of those strange plastic-lined stalls. It was generally very shabby.

Second, some of the staff (well, at least one I recall) were nice, as were the owners when I spoke with them which wasn't much, but two stood out as quite unhelpful. One of the breakfast servers (who we had to deal with each morning) acted very strangely and kind of rudely when serving breakfast, and I literally have no idea why she behaved that way (complete with eye rolling). One morning, the breakfast quiche included a vegetable I am allergic to, so my companion asked if I could get something else (maybe just eggs) and she brusquely said 'no' and took the dish away. When we were leaving, I asked whether I could use the B&B's office computer to print a boarding pass, and I was refused without explanation by the woman manning the inn that afternoon. I find that strange. B&Bs in the Northeast I've been to always let you use the computer for boarding pass printing. It's totally standard.

Third, the breakfast. The baked good of the day (the small muffin or whatever) was very good, but the main dishes were mediocre (the mornings that I could eat it - obviously, not the morning I was allergic to it and couldn't eat it) and quite small. We found it really lesser in quality what we have experienced in other B&Bs (the delicious breakfasts at the Liberty Hill Inn in Yarmouthport, MA come to mind, and I've reviewed that place here).

Mind you, all of this and it was not cheap - quite the opposite. I spent about $200 a night for this experience.

To leave it on a positive note, I will say there is a lovely view from the porch, which is nice for late afternoon relaxing, and it is a neat feature to be able to walk down to the little rocky beach area right from the B&B. But I would definitely not stay here again. I am not sure where all these people giving this B&B good reviews stayed, but I really can't imagine it was the same place I did.

missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

This was our first experience in a B&B (Inn) and we are now spoiled! The Inn is lovely and elegant but very relaxing....not stuffy at all. The view of the bay from the porch (lined with wicker lounges) is breathtaking. And we were greeted each morning by Woody....the adorable white standard poodle who was a perfect gentleman! The service was perfect and the breakfast was delicious. The Inn is a short drive to Bar Harbor (shops, restaurants, etc.) and 5 minutes from Acadia National Park (a must see!!) I would recommend this Inn to all!

Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

we found the Inn at Bay Ledge by accident as we were travelling. We went in and found out that they had space and had a tour. We immediately fell in love with the gorgeous view of the ocean from the house, the very attractive rooms and the incredible porch on the back with the ocean views. We ended up staying two nights and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would go back in a heartbeat. The hosts were very friendly and helpful, giving us good suggestions of places to visit and eat. Breakfasts were great, home made, fresh and delightful. The bed was very comfortable and the whole stay was very relaxing. We would absolutely recommend the Inn to anyone else and our only mistake was not staying an extra day or two. It is close to Bar Harbour but far enough away to make it quieter. The state park is very close and has some incredible walks and breathtaking views. A plus for our vacation.....

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We checked this place out on the internet before we booked our 2-night reservation, and we were excited to see the Inn. When we arrived and walked into the Inn and through to the back of the property, we were amazed. Within ten minutes of being there, getting checked in, and seeing our room, we knew we wanted to book an additional night there! We stayed in a different room on the third night and it was every bit at comfortable and charming as the room we stayed in the first two nights. Sleeping rooms were very clean and fresh, bright and cheery, romantically decorated, and each with an individual bathroom. We loved wandered through the many cozy, common rooms of the Inn, and particularly enjoyed the amazing breakfasts we had each morning on the large porch or in the beautiful sun room. The view from both is breathtaking - what a way to start the day! Jeanie is an excellent chef, and we enjoyed her delectable creations each morning, along with all the other choices of breakfast food. We looked forward to breakfast each day, and also to the homemade afternoon snacks (the chocolate macaroons were awesome!). Jack was a very friendly, personable, and gracious host, and we thoroughly enjoyed our time and conversations with him! The property is beyond amazing with it's view of the water, the trees, the cliffs, the beach, the birds -- We could go on and on! Loved the location, just a few minutes from the downtown Bar Harbor area and Acadia, but we felt like we were in our own private retreat. We had a spectacular time there, miss it already, and very much look forward to retuning.

Mechanicsburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Inn at Bay Ledge. What we liked best: The beautiful porch, the spectacular view, the made-from scratch breakfasts and afternoon tea treats, the gardens, the private beach, the overall setting, the fact that the inn is a bit outside of the town of Bar Harbor. While our room was comfortable, three of the rooms on the first floor all face the beautiful porch that overlooks Frenchman's Bay, so if you want privacy, you sacrifice the view by keeping the blinds closed. Our private bathroom was adequate and better than some, but certainly not luxurious. If you like dogs, the owners have two wonderful dogs who are very comfortable around the guests. If you like big, hearty breakfasts, you may not leave the table satisfied. The breakfasts were fine for me, but my husband wasn't as satisfied. And, may I say, real men will eat quiche for breakfast when it is the only thing on the menu. Was it the best B & B I have ever stayed at? It was not. But it has many offerings not often found in smaller inns: A pool, a sauna, and a steam shower, and the VIEW. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the inn.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

This was our second stay with Jack and Jeani at the Inn at Bay Ledge and it was even better than our first stay. We returned because of the wonderful combination of a beautiful location, (next to Acadia National Park), and the warm and welcoming experience of "coming home" to our Inn at the end of the day. The environment is relaxed and open. The rooms are meticulous, and the attentiveness from the staff is really unparalleled. We appreciate that all are welcome here, and have formed friendships with other guests.

The Inn is beautiful, with gorgeous gardens and private beach access to the picturesque "ovens". At low tide, pink star fish and sea glass are plentiful. From both the beach and our breakfast table we could see porpoises and seals swimming in the bay.

The food is exceptional. Jeani makes the most wonderful gourmet breakfasts and afternoon treats! Each morning we hurried to breakfast, eager to see what specialty Jeani had in store for us that day. Jack is a font of information about Bar Harbor, and freely offers suggestions and assistance with planning your day. Their kindness clearly makes the difference between a good and great experience.

We strongly recommend staying at the Inn at Bay Ledge when visiting Bar Harbor.

Lisa and Tam

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Bay Ledge? Share your experiences!