“Good B&B” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Graycote Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Graycote Inn
Ranked #24 of 33 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Chantilly, Virginia
“Good B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary in Maine. The B&B was very charming and we were greeted by Roger upon our arrival with a 10 minute tour. Since we visited off season, many restaurants and stores were not open yet or had limited hours. It was very nice that the innkeepers had put together a list of all places in Bar Harbor with their days and hours of operation. Also, the innkeepers had a lot of information and literature on Acadia. The breakfast was well done with good food. Our room was charming with a fireplace which was nice at night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed at Graycote Inn in August 2011 with my wife for a long weekend and had been meaning to write a review.

I completely agree with the last review and can only apologize for not writing mine sooner as it would have prevent them a bad stay.

Our main complaint is with the couple that run the inn: Pat and Roger. In agreement with the previous review, we found them to be quite rude not only with us but also with their own staff.

We also arrived late at night after driving up from Boston and were forced to listen to the rules of the inn even though we had told them we wanted to catch the last service at the local restaurant having not eaten for 7 hours.

The rooms themselves are indeed quite old fashioned - only redeeming feature: the fireplace on a rainy day.

The breakfast experience the following morning, was also laughable: set menu or empty stomachs!

Overall, the impression we got over the course of our stay was that we were being treated like guests in someone's house rather than paying customers at B&B. Quite a strange feeling...

Would not recommend this at all to anyone. Many other places to stay at in Bar Harbour so please don't make the same mistake as us!

Marc and Anita

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE!!! The owners themselves must be writing the good reviews. Every negative review is true. If I could put less than one star, I would. Pat and Roger are the two most rude, unfriendly innkeepers I have ever met. We also were forced to go on a 45 minute mandatory tour of the inn and hear the rules after a 9 hour drive without even a chance to use the toilet. The inn is dark, dreary, dated and dirty. Our first morning there, the breakfast was French toast, which is one of the very few things I won't eat. When I asked for toast instead, Roger almost lunged at me, insisting this was the very best French toast in the world. I again asked for toast, and I got it -- about half an hour later, dry, cold, and just about thrown at me. This was the best treatment we got -- it only got worse. Breakfasts seemed to be mandatory, with horrible food. All of the guests in the inn looked just as glum as the innkeepers by the time we left -- I think some people even left early.

I am writing this review so long after we stayed here because I am horrified by the thought that other travelers will make the same mistake I did and decide to stay here after reading the good reviews.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Nashua, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have been to Bar Harbor many times on both business and for vacation. I have stayed in many of the properties there, but the Graycote Inn is always my first choice. The prices are very reasonable and Roger and Pat always insure that my stay is both comfortable and enjoyable. The rooms are wonderful and even the smaller rooms are very comfortable. The breakfasts are delicious and just the right size to give you energy for the day without overstuffing you before a hike through the park. They are always there with recommendations for activities, so even if it is a bit dreary outside, you are never short for things to do. As a business traveler they accommodate my needs for an extra early start and always help with reservations for dinner in case I am working late or arriving late.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty nice, so it is hard to go wrong, but I love the rooms with the fireplaces.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We have always wanted to visit Maine and had originally planned to do so for a honeymoon 25 years ago. That trip finally took place in September this year (2011) after 25 years of marriage and our youngest of two children leaving for college. We called and talked with Roger before making our reservation and he was helpful in suggesting "things not to miss when visiting Maine" as well as noting things that make Bar Harbor unique as a destination itself.

We did make reservations to stay a week at the Graycote Inn. What a wonderful location and relaxing, lovely place to stay. Pat and Roger were accommodating to Beth, who has a gluten food intolerance. But it didn't seem to be a problem. The breakfasts were WONDERFUL for both of us - with the Gluten-free recipes better than anything we have eaten before! Afternoon snack also included a gluten-free choice which introduced us to new diet alternatives.

We recommend the Graycote Inn whenever we learn of others traveling to Maine. Clean and beautiful rooms (our third floor room opened to a balcony), great location for walking around Bar Harbor, excellent suggestions for activities and places to eat, wonderful breakfasts, and most of all innkeepers that truly welcome you to share their home. We cannot thank Roger and Pat enough for making our trip so memorable.

Beth and John M.

Room Tip: The third floor room that we stayed in had a screen door that could be locked shut all night - keepi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bernardsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

It’s a great place to visit and a hard place to leave. We consider ourselves very fortunate to have found the Graycote Inn in 2008, and have been coming back every year in September, with each visit being longer than the prior year. What initially caught our eyes was the environmental leader certification. The inn is very clean and comfortable; the breakfasts healthy, delicious and filling. There is a table in the dining room and around 10 tables for two in the glassed-in porch where you can choose to converse with other couples or not. The hosts, Roger and Pat, take an interest in our plans for the day and offer suggestions. A weather report is printed daily. The bulletin board also highlights current events in Bar Harbor. They offer helpful advice on where to dine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Have returned for several years to the Graycote Inn and love it every time. The rooms are beautiful, the breakfasts are fantastic, and it is peaceful and quiet. I love being close enough to walk to the harbor and shops, but love the location on a side street.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Graycote Inn? Share your experiences!