“Diggin the floral motif” 4 of 5 stars

Acadia Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Mount Desert Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #2 of 40 hotels in Bar Harbor
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Diggin the floral motif”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This place is all about location! Perfect, right in the heart of downtown. Clean rooms but outdated decor. Never saw a staff member except at check in, but didn't care. I'm not picky, just expect my lodging to be clean and in a good location. Acadia Hotel was just that. If you stay here, you'd better like flowers, they're splattered all over the walls, literally. Would stay here again, no qualms about it.

• Stayed June 2012

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed here once or twice a year for the last several years, and I've never been disappointed. The rooms are clean, well-appointed and homey. The location across from Bar Harbor's town green is excellent if you like staying in town. You can walk everywhere or walk across the street and catch the free shuttle to just about anywhere in Acadia. The price to stay here is usually the best value you'll find in Bar Harbor.

• Stayed October 2011
New Brunswick, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

The Acadia Hotel has to be one of our families favorite places to stay - the location could not be more perfect - walk anywhere in town or grab a shuttle into Acadia National Park. The rooms are both charming and comfortable AND the staff offers the best advice on where to go and what to do - they go out of their way to help you enjoy your stay. My Mother absolutely loved sitting in the wicker chairs on the charming porch. We will definitely be Back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

In high season, this is an outrageously priced Motel 6 type room, but with fewer amenities.

Positives: The internet was good, there was a porch with comfortable wicker chairs to sit on and have a glass of wine before dinner. There was a fridge in the room. If you like to be in the center of the "action", you're there, in the dead center of Bar Harbor.

Negatives: By "action" we mean tourist traffic. The postage stamp sized room was not large enough for the king-size bed. Each room has an air conditioner because if you don't turn it on the noise from outside is deafening. Not only the main street traffic, including major bus traffic, but the ventilation unit of the neighboring café kitchen which faced our room. This is a shame, because the windows can be opened and the air at night is cool and fresh enough so that you don't need air conditioning. Also the unit in our room looked like it dated from the 70's. The owner was bizarre. He was absent except when rang-for, and interacted minimally then. One felt one was intruding on him.

There is no common space, this is not a B&B or a hotel with a lobby. There's just the porch. I like to have hot water for tea in the morning wherever I stay and there was no way to get it here: One had to go to the café next door and pay for a cup of hot water. A generic motel room would have had a lobby with hot water, if not a microwave in the room. Also generally it would have more room to move about without hurting oneself.

If you're going on vacation to Bar Harbor, this is not a place to stay and relax, it is suitable only as a place to sleep and keep your suitcase, and change for dinner.

Peter H, Owner at Acadia Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Over the past year, the Acadia Hotel staff has been busy updating the rooms, the decor and the hotel grounds. Since this review was wrtten, we have added a very nice lobby area with 24 hour Tea and Coffee service, a small business center, communal "book nook" and additional outdoor and indoor seating areas. While we are not a bed and breakfast, the changes have made the hotel a much more welcoming place, and we are please with the feedback.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have stayed at the Acadia Hotel before in the past, so knew what to expect. If you are looking for a B&B this isn't it as there no breakfast, but if you've been to Bar Harbor before you know that there are two excellent places for breakfast. One of which is right next door, Cafe This Way, so this wasn't an issue for us. The hotel is located right in the heart of downtown, but just off enough so not to be too noisy. It is great being able to park my car and walk to mostly everything. Only time I needed the car was when I wanted to leave Bar Harbor. And cost wise, you just can't beat it.

My wife and I stayed in room 11. We were warned by Chris that the ceiling was low, but neither my wife nor I are over 5' 9" so we had no issues. The room was situated a little awkwardly, but functional. We could have used another garbage can and another mirror as the only ones were in the room was in the bathroom. This made getting ready for 2 people a little more challenging. The other point to note was the room needed some more storage. There was a single closet that was very small. My wife and I pretty much just lived out of our suitcases the whole time, which sat on the twin bed which was also in addition to the queen. If you are planning on using both beds, you will be hard strapped for space. Outside of that, the room is located in the back of the hotel at basement level and has its own private patio. All in all, the location and price make up for some of its short comings. The place is clean and well kept and I would stay there again.

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We had a tough time deciding where to stay on our trip to Bar Harbor, and we are so glad we chose Acadia Hotel! The location just cannot be beat! It is within walking distance to all of downtown Bar Harbor, and there is so much to see and do there! The hotel has on-site parking, a lovely wraparound porch overlooking the town square, and a small balcony upstairs for relaxing. It was nice to sit out and enjoy our Blueberry soda & beer while listening to a band play over in the nearby park.

The innkeeper greeted us with lots of information and a trail map of Acadia to borrow. The rooms were small, but bright and clean. Overall, the hotel was a great value for what you got!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

This started back in late May when we were looking for reservations.

By the time we started searching, our first choice B&B was filled. The Acadia came up with reviews, so we began the process of making a reservation. Looking on their site we saw the "Special Packages" link - no longer working btw. So this is moot I guess, but its our experience, so...

There is no breakfast here, so the "Special Packages" offered a breakfast at Cafe This Way for several mornings... Our stay didn't match the spread, but we'd work with it.... But we wanted a king size bed room.... then the dollar differences between a meal package with a queen vs. a meal package with a king began to crop up, and I couldn't reconcile the difference, so wound up calling directly.

Chris explained that he would be ceasing the Package offers due to the cost involved to him in doing so. I was a bit put off - simply because I had hoped the package cost would be the same (relatively speaking). But we have been to Bar Harbor many times, and knew we could get a decent breakfast...so we just booked a king room. And hoped....

We arrived and met Gail, one of the housekeepers. She was very pleasant and was so every time we ran into her. She was helpful as well - she gets 5 stars!

I met Chris the owner, and asked for a copy of my receipt, - on check-in the duplicate didn't print. He promised me a copy and i got one within 24 hours. We only saw him in passing really... So he's a neutral...

The property has four parking slots i the back, which I was grateful for, having two kayaks and bikes, and more than that out front.

There is no common room in the hotel. That was weird for us, as we like the communal aspect of exchanging stories and meeting like-minded people while we're away. All there is, is a short hall to the desk.... OK...

The porch is a bonus, and you can smoke on it. I enjoy a cigar on vacation, and that forgives a lot of little things!

The room was good. The bed was newer than many I've slept on while traveling, so the owner made good on that. The shower was what you get in most B&B's - merely OK. When there were other people showering, you lost a good deal of pressure. Otherwise OK.

Our room was on the side, and was quiet, even though you are right on RT 3.

Without a breakfast plan, that about covers it. I have mixed feelings only because of the meal price issues I had when making the reservations. Had Chris simply not offered any, I think I would have started off on better footing.

We might stay there again, however, we love morning breakfasts, served family style, and the "isolation" at the Acadia Hotel was a little much. There is no common room, no afternoon tea or wine and cheese.... You get it if you are a B&B fan.

This is a clean room in a great location.... But not all warm and fuzzy. If you like that you will love the Acadia Hotel... Gail, you are a definite plus!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Acadia Hotel? Share your experiences!