“Soup to Nuts Perfection!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Soup to Nuts Perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Ok, so we didn't have soup or nuts, but if we had, they would have been superb!

I found Town Hill Bistro through TripAdvisor. I wanted a special place to take my wife for her birthday during our trip to Acadia National Park. All of the previous reviews raved about this little tucked away place and we were not disappointed!

The restaurant itself looks to be a repurposed small barn or large chicken coop. It is very rustic-esque and charming - exposed beams, fireplace, low lighting, intimate settings. Quite small so reservations are a good idea. We met one of the owners and she was very personable and down to earth. We had a very nice little chat with her about the origins of her place.

But to the food!!!!! To begin, our cocktails were excellent. One of the best Cosmos ever. My wife ordered the gnoochi with mushroom/spinach/asiago cream sauce. Unbelievable! The gnoochis are large and each are pan seared on every side. So delicious! I had the pork loin with rhubarb/ginger compote and a saute of fiddleheads and greenbeans. The pork loin was very generous and cooked perfectly. Seared on the outside and just pink in the middle. The compote was fresh and bright with a bit of ginger zing! But I could have made a meal of just the fiddleheads and greenbeans. So tender, fresh picked, and seasoned just right.

We made sure we saved room for dessert! I had the chocolate gingerbread cake with homemade salted caramel sauce with a bit more of the compote and my wife had the bittersweet chocolate pudding. Both were amazing. The pudding was more like a luscious mousse and the homemade whipped cream set it off perfectly.

We left with a melt-in-your-mouth salted caramel which came with the check. The bill was quite reasonable for the amazing, fresh, homemade meal we had just savored!!

Town Hill Bistro is a must if you are anywhere near Mount Desert Island. You will be so happy you went!

West Hartford, Connecticut
“Lovely and rustic, delicious food by nice people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

One of my favorite places in Bar Harbor Maine is Town Hill Bistro. Run by husband and wife JJ and Maureen, it is in a one room cottage with wood beams and rustic charm. One is greeted by warm and friendly JJ and his staff - Maureen is the chef. The food is simple but outstanding. As many ingredients as possible are sourced in Maine farms. Their pork shank is delicious as is their homemade gnocchi. Their fish dishes are delicate and seasoned just right. My favorite vegetable is their fiddleheads when in season. I enjoy their shrimp salad which highlights the small, soft, and tasty Maine shrimps. Their fare is all reasonably priced because of the owners' desire to make their meals accessible to the year round residents at Mount Desert Island. I go there to relax with friends in an unpretentious, comfortable, and cozy place serving superb food by lovely people who care about their craft.

Hyannis, Massachusetts
“Great Food, Outstanding Service! Thank you!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This restaurant deserves only positive reviews !!! Great food, great service! It was their first week when they were opened on monday. And it was our the only night out. We made a trip to bar harbor for our 2nd anniversary. So the latest possible time to make a reservation was 8pm. We got there at 8.30. They were wrapping up and getting ready to go home obviously. But they let us sit down and order food. No rush. Food was amazing. I had potato gnocchi and my girl ordered a halibut. Delicious! I forgot the name of the cake we ordered but it was fantastic. And what a pleasant surprise we got their famous lemon cake on the house. Unbelievable! Thank you for making our anniversary dinner so special!!!

Bangor, Maine, United States
“Small location, amazing food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The whole experience at this restaurant was amazing! My fiancee and I chose to go to this restaurant because it was close to where we were staying and it was also a little bit away from the busy downtown Bar Harbor area. From looking at the website, we did call and have to make a reservation. They even called us back and said we could come in earlier due to a cancellation, which we were pleased with. Our waitress was friendly. The food was AMAZING. The best meal I've ever had in Bar Harbor. All the food is from local farmer's markets, so even though the food was a tad pricey, it was 100% worth it. We ate until we were beyond stuffed. The rotating menu keeps it interesting. The restaurant is small (hence the need for reservations) but there was still privacy from table to table.

Gainesville, Florida
“Foodie delight in Bar Harbor area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Ok, so we tried the grilled romaine w/anchovy and poached shrimp for appetizers. Followed that with dinners of baked halibut and seared ocean scallops w/cous cous and lobster/lemon sauce. Followed that with the poached lemon cake. WOW.

Didn't leave a crumb, every dish was superb.

Cozy and warm vibes, with a hip bar and extensive wine list.