“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Central House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
The Central House
You added The Central House to your Saves list
60 Cottage Street, PO Box 955, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Baiting Hollow, New York
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

This place (can't call it a BNB since they do not serve breakfast) is close enough to walk to the bars and restaurants, yet far enough away that you can get away from the bustle.

We did not have a reservation, but just stopped in to see what was available. The staff was accommodating and friendly--nice since we stopped by right at 7 pm when they innkeeper was just about "off duty".

The room was comfortable and clean. We only stayed one night, but would have been happy to stay longer. The porch and coffee area are quaint and a nice place to sit and relax.

I can't remember our room number, but we paid $135 for the night in the middle of August.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I spent 3 nights in Bar Harbor in August 2014. I didn't have advance reservations and I didn't do on-line research. I took my chances. The first night I stayed at 2Cats in Cottage Street (I had tried Central House but they were sold out, despite the "Vacancy" sign out front). Down the street from Central House, 2Cats is charming, in a 60s/rasta sort of way. Its hugely popular breakfasts are famous and filling. After one night, I decided to stay another night in Bar Harbor, but 2Cats had no room (they only have 3 bedrooms). I stopped in Central House to inquire about vacancies and, lo and behold, they had one (room 204). Wow, what a difference. Where 2Cats is funky in a 2d-hand store furniture sort of way, Central House is like staying with your maiden aunt. Flowered wall paper, ceramic bedside table lamps that match (sort of), a coverlet that I would be proud to put on my own bed, and a four-poster. This is a place that my mother would approve of. There's no breakfast, but there iis an extensive array of coffees and teas, as well as a big communal fridge that you can stock with pastres from several nearby bakeries (the absence of breakfast reduced my rating from excellent to very good, but for those who don't care, this place is great!). As noted by others, the front porch is a splendid and comfy place to watch the world go by from their big wicker chairs. This is what a Maine escape looks like in the picture books, folks.

Room Tip: I only saw 204, but it was terrific.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

After much research on where to stay we chose the Central House for it's location and charm. It truly is in the perfect location - easy walk to everything! We stayed in room 206 and it was very comfortable. No problem with noise, etc. The front porch is a wonderful place to relax and people watch. You can't beat this place for the value and location. Definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Room 206 was perfect!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had a lovely time staying at Central House. The rate for our room was very affordable and it was very clean. It was within walking distance to shops, restaurants and the Harbor front. The Inn keeper was very friendly and got to know your names. The Inn didn't include breakfast but, offered free coffee, they had a coffee machine, small frig, ice cube machine and a beautiful dining room. We are planning to return for another visit.

Room Tip: The top floor might have bigger rooms, but our was just fine and we were on the main floor..
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This was a great place to stay in Bar Harbor. It is 2 blocks from where all the shops and restaurants are, so it's walkable but not noisy. We stayed on the 3rd floor and we didn't hear anyone else around moving. We had our own bathroom and it was huge. They didn't include breakfast, but freed us up to do our own thing and allowed them to charge less. They did have a small refrigerator and also a Keurig machine to make coffee and tea (with to go cups which was great). I'd for sure come back and stay again!

Room Tip: We had Room 302 which was a queen bed and private shower/tub. The bathroom was huge. The 2 windows f...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 5 days on the 3rd floor and paid the cheapest price in downtown Bar Harbor. We liked that it is a walking distance to restaurants, bike rentals and shops. The inn keeper is very friendly and informative. We'll keep this in mind on our next visits.

• Stayed June 2014
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed two nights in room 204. Let me start off by saying the location is one of the best in Bar Harbor. It's right next to downtown, but not directly in the heart of everything so you avoid most of the noise. The inn itself is one of the cleanest and most welcoming accommodations I've stayed at. When we checked in, the unoccupied rooms, including ours, had the doors open to let the air flow through the inn. I think this helped avoid the musty smell you can find in other older inns. The innkeeper we met was very friendly and helpful, and made it a point to learn our names. They don't serve breakfast, but I didn't mind because the price was so affordable and there are many breakfast places and bakeries in the vicinity to try. The room itself was larger than I expected, especially for the price. We had what seemed like a king bed, a small twin bed set up like a sort of lounge, and a beautiful antique looking couch facing the TV. Some other reviewers on here complained of the noise late at night, but as I'm a light sleeper I always bring a fan with me when I travel to block out any noise and had no problems with it. The only cons I can think of would be that the curtains are sheer, so if you can't sleep in a room with light you'll wake up with the sun. Which isn't a bad thing, if you're planning on taking an early morning hike. Also, the shower pressure isn't the greatest, but the house was built in the late 1800s, so I guess that's to be expected.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage or have trouble with stairs, avoid staying in a room on the top two flo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Central House? Share your experiences!