“an overall good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Kennebunkport, Maine
“an overall good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

we found McKay's to be very well done- decor wise. My husband and I both chose the duck meatloaf wrapped in prosciutto, i think. It was very tasty. We both enjoyed it, plus mashed potatoes and veg. For dessert we split a sundae (which was good-sized with jack daniels ice cream, brownie, choc. syrup, and candied hazlenuts. I'm not a huge ice cream fan but it was very good. The server was friendly enough. the only negative was that it took a long time to get our entree

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Gainesville, Florida
“Great food and friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We love food done well, but we weren't terribly hungry the evening we visited McKay's. The restaurant okayed our sharing a very nice filet and salad. The dinner salads are inventive and delicious, and the wine choices are reasonably priced. The restaurant has a lovely outdoors eating area, too. Nice atmosphere.

• Visited May 2013
Killingworth, CT
“Cut above most Bar Harbor restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

McKay's is consistently very good. The ambience is pleasant--in an old house just a half block away from the crazy swarms of downtown Bar Harbor. The service is always great. For appetizers we've had the spinach and artichoke dip which is very good. For main courses, the shepherd's pie is great--they use ground lamb for the meat which is a pleasant twist. Seafood risotto was also very good (and huge). The sachetti pasta with porcini mushrooms and tart cherries is interesting but somehow didn't all come together quite well enough. The wine list is not huge but is good. If you want a 'non-touristy" meal in a pleasant atmosphere with well-prepared, often locally-sourced foods, you will have a very good time at McKay's.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Maine
“A Chic and Fun Place to Dine ~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

McKay's had been recommended to us by a bartender at the "Side Street Cafe", so we thought we would take a chance on a new place to eat. It more than met all of our expectations of a unique menu, that was reasonably prices and had a variety of dishes to eat. The service was wonderful and the atmosphere was on the upscale side but not over the top. It had a lively and energetic mood coupled with a beautiful interior. They served both pub and regular specials and entrees. The desserts looked very yummy as well. There are plenty of places to eat in Bar Harbor, so put this on your list because it is well worth your time, money and experience.

Ellsworth, Maine
“Why I will always support McKay's (and hope you will too)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I don't live in Bar Harbor, but I work there on season at a hotel in the neighborhood. I went in one day after a shift for a beer. The staff was very friendly to customers from near and far as well as myself. When they realized I worked at a nearby hotel, the manager gave me a gift certificate and invited me to bring in my family so I could try out the food (and spread the word to our hotel guests). I would get orders to go from work from time to time and it was incredibly fresh and delicious food using local produce as much as possible.
I didn't make it in for awhile, and over the course of the off season my wife became very ill, and seemingly near death. It took her months to recover, finally over a long period of time she felt well enough to go out for our anniversary. I still had the gift certificate, so we decided to go there. We had a very nice dinner and it was the first time we could go out like this in a long time. I had feared months before this that we would never be able to do these things together again.
When the bill came to the table, the owner saw me pull out the gift certificate and he jumped over to our table and told us that our dinner, drinks, dessert, etc was on the house. I hadn't been there for over a year at that point, and certainly he didn't know the back story of what we had been through that year. His kindness and generosity made a great night even better. A great restaurant with great people, where everyone feels welcomed! Thanks from the bottom of my heart!