“Our 9th time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites
144 Old Bar Harbor Road, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #16 of 40 hotels in Bar Harbor
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
“Our 9th time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Our 9th time to stay at Bar Harbor cottages for our yrly Fall vacation and you'll love it too if you're wanting to be somewhere charming & quaint, a block off Route 3, 2 miles from Acadia Nat. Park, 4.5 miles to downtown Bar Harbor and exceptional personal attention. We couldn't think of staying anywhere else due to the personal attention given when staying there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites. It's always a pleasure to host you, and we look forward to your future visits.

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We just returned from our trip to Bar Harbor, and our stay at the Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites was perfect. We stayed in cottage #12, and really enjoyed the accomodations. Were they small? Certainly, but it depends upon your perspective because I've stayed in smaller hotel rooms with just as many people, and fewer amenities. And incidentally, we don't go on vacation to sit in a hotel/motel room - we're there to enjoy the place, so the size was never an issue. We anticipated a late arrival, and Patti had everything prepared for us in the cottage - towels, a small welcome basket, etc. - even though we arrived well before the anticipated 6:00 check in time. Having a kitchenette in the cottage is a big plus, and the bathroom is a relatively good size as well. The distance is just far enough from Bar Harbor that you're not stuck with all of those people from "away" who are spending tourist dollars, but close enough that you can drive in for dinner, and then drive back home, or rather to the cottage with no problem. That, I think is key because we quickly took to calling our cottage "home", something we never do with hotels. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
coachbarharbor_9, Owner at Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing your Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites experience with Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our staff, amenities, accommodations and our peaceful and convenient location in the Salisbury Cove section of Bar Harbor, which is only minutes to the bustle of downtown Bar Harbor, and to the main entrance of our beautiful Acadia National Park.

We look forward to hosting you in future seasons!
Mayo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We spent a great week at Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites. It was everything that they advertise and more. Pattie is like a personal tour guide, listen to her suggestions and advice...she won't steer you wrong and will save you time and many extra steps. The property is spotless and as peaceful as anyone could want. I spent time jogging in and around the cove and everyone was very pleasant and warm. Great location for a long run or easy stroll without worries of traffic. Our cottage was well equipped and cozy. We had several 30* mornings and a some warmer 80* afternoons and it was very pleasant with a little heat running or the windows open. Cell coverage and WiFi work perfect, as I spent each evening uploading daily images to share with friends back home.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites experience. Because we are located in the peaceful and conveniently located Salisbury Cove section of Bar Harbor, it is a safe a beautiful area to go out for an early morning run before taking off to tour nearby beautiful Acadia National Park.

Our staff is happy to share our extensive and intimate knowledge of the area to assist you to fully enjoy your visit, according to your interests. We are glad after spending full days exploring that you were able to use our wifi to upload your daily images back home. We look forward to hosting you in future seasons!
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed 4 nights in the Victorian Suite in Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites (Sept 9-13). We loved our stay in Bar Harbor and found the cottages a great place to stay.

I booked the cottage directly through the manager Patti; she is wonderful and so helpful with every aspect of your stay. Unfortunately, the website does not have an online booking facility, so it did require a phone call, which is no big deal, as Patti is so pleasant to deal with. On her advice, we decided to spend the extra few $$$ to stay in the Victorian Suite, which is the most recently renovated cottage, it cost $109 versus $89 for a standard cottage, I didn’t get a look in any of the other cottages, but ours was certainly lovely. Patti was there to check us in and again was so pleasant to deal with. She gave us loads of information about the area, restaurants, transport, things to do etc. We left reception with an armful of literature, and it was really helpful to have.

Our cottage was adorable. Yes, it is small, but more than adequate for two people. I can’t understand the negative reviews based on size, it clearly says on the website that the cottages are small. You walk straight into a nice size living area with a small kitchenette and small eating area which had double doors leading on to a small screened porch with two rocking chairs. The couch was really comfortable and the TV seemed to have plenty of channels with good reception. The bedroom was really tiny, taken up mainly with the double bed and two small bedside tables. There was just room to walk around the bed, we were fine, but a larger person could struggle with the size of the bedroom. The closet is in the living area, there is no chest of drawers. The bathroom is a good size actually, I was expecting smaller after reading the reviews. The shower is pretty small; again a larger person could struggle. But it was fine for us, there was plenty of hot water and the water pressure was good. The whole cottage was nicely decorated and was clean. It was so quaint, it kind of felt like staying in a dolls house! (I mean that in a good way by the way!)

It was great having the kitchenette, it was really well equipped and we were pleased to be able to eat breakfast in the cottage every morning rather than paying for breakfast. There was a welcome basket provided with coffee, cream, tea etc. We also ate in the cottage one night, there are bbq’s available for use too which I’d imagine is great during the warm summer nights. There is plenty of outside space, our cottage had two wicker chairs and a table and bench outside, and also two rocking chairs in a screened porch Our table and chairs had a nice view to the water across the road (the property does not have beach access however)

The property only offers a cleaning service for stays of 4 days or longer, but there are fresh towels, bin bags etc available all day in the barn and I would imagine it would be no problem getting something cleaned if needed. They seemed to be very accommodating that way. There is free WIFI in the property, the reception could be patchy at times, but that was rectified by standing outside for a few minutes and then we seemed to pick it up.

The cottages are located in Salisbury Cove, it is roughly 10-12 minutes drive into Bar Harbor and about 7 mins drive to the entrance of Acadia. It is a very peaceful location and we certainly slept well, no road noise at all.

Overall, we loved our little cottage; it really felt like a home away from home. There were a couple of niggly things. I found there was a lack of storage, we had to live out of our suitcases, I would have liked a chest of drawers or some sort of storage. I would imagine this would be a problem for stays of a week or longer. There really wasn't space for our two cases, we ended up with one in front of the closet and one beside the fridge! I sort of felt I was tripping over the cases all the time. The bathroom door was a bit rickety and hard to close and the blind in the bathroom wasn’t a good fit and I was paranoid that others could see in when the light was on! Also I agree with the previous review about the taps in the kitchen, more suited to a bathroom and meant it was difficult to wash dishes. But I am being mega picky now. Overall it is a great property, very comfortable, homely and full of character. The staff are wonderful and the price is right. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Mount Desert Island is a beautiful place. We loved Bar Harbor and especially enjoyed Cadillac Mountain at sunset. We would also recommend Bass Head Lighthouse if going a bit further afield.

Room Tip: Victorian Cottage is a liitle more expensive, but recently renovated.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and write such a complete review. We are delighted that you feel that you found our property to be a good value, well maintained and conveniently located in the Salisbury Cove section of Bar Harbor, nicely decorated, and the staff pleasant and helpful.

Our guests' comfort and satisfaction are our primary goals. We have noted your comment re the shade in the bathroom and based on your suggestion we have changed it. One point of clarification. Victorian Cottage does have a small chest of drawers in the livingroom (the tv sits on it). Also in the living room is a closet with a luggage rack and a shelf for storage. We have tried to make creative use of the space.

We hope to host you in future seasons!
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Patti is fantastic. I told her we would be late in arriving. A cold front had come through and she turned on the heat and put out literature so we could find our way around. The cottage (#1)was clean and faced the bay with a water view. The first nite, for some reason, the heat did not get into our bedroom but it worked fine the rest of the week. Patti provided plenty of information on what to see, do and how to get around and easily find out what is going on every day in the area. The cottages are small but they have everything you need. I didn't realize the refrigerators were so small and I over packed refrigerated food for our vacation. So, we had to keep things in a cooler with ice. The beds were very comfortable. We did have trouble getting hot showers. We had to run the water forever before it would get warm enough to shower. I hated seeing all that water go down the drain. We typically showered around 6 in the evening after a day of hiking. We took morning showers the day we were leaving and the water was HOT. So, maybe better to take morning showers.
I recommend two changes to Cottage #1. First, replace the faucet set at the kitchen sink. It is designed for a bathroom and it was difficult to wash dishes. Second, replace the cute metal kitchen chairs in the kitchen. Our clothes got caught in the metal work. I ripped my flannel pajamas and my husband almost ripped a brand new pair of expensive hiking pants.
We had a great stay and would recommend this place.

Room Tip: Cottages are small, rented a two bedroom for two of us. One room was the storage room, bikes, suitc...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
coachbarharbor_9, Owner at Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to share the experience you had during
your recent visit. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, the
comfortable beds, the water view, the value, the cleanliness, your
interaction with Patti, and all the info and nice details she provided, and
that you mention you would recommend us to others.

As mentioned in prior reviews and on our website, the cottages, although
average size for this area, are not as large as your home, condo or
apartment. We attempt to provide as much information as possible to a
prospective guest, through the text and numerous photos on our redesigned
website and other marketing materials, as well as through our email and
phone communications. We have found in the more than 25 years we've been in
the lodging business that it is best to strive to provide the traveling
public with the most clear, complete and accurate information prior to their
reservation. We are honored to be told by our many returning and referring
guests that they have found that we have not only met this goal, but in many
cases have exceeded their expectations, and in the rare case there is a
concern, that it is dealt with quickly and professionally.

We are sorry to hear that the metal bistro chair in Cottage #1 tore your
pj's. Patti did tell me about that and that she had asked you to contact us on your return home, knowing I would want to reimburse you for the lost pj's. We have ordered new chairs for the dining table and hope to have them replaced before seasons end.

Enjoy the lovely autumn season, and we look forward to seeing you in future
visits!
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is my third year at Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites, It would have been the fourth but due to work I had to miss last year. I will be back again next year as I am treated like family and know I am truly valued as a guest, To the negative reviews I would say be an informed traveler. If you read all the site it tells you everything you need to know about the cottages, They are just that. Small quaint cottages that are intended to be a home away from home, Although small they offer many amenities that I have not had in some hotel rooms. They have heat and AC, Burners, Small refridgerators, sinks, microwaves and coffee makers. The bedding is comfortable and the towels are fluffy and soft, These cottages are for those who want to vacation without people in and out of there room. Every year I unpack and can rest assured that all my things are well protected and that no one is going through or moving them, I feel like it's a little home that I "own" for my short stays. The best part is Patti the knowledgable manager, She always guides me to great restaurants and things to do and see. She is so friendly and truly interested in her guests having a great trip, Anyone who brings any issues to her attention can rest assured it will be handled promptly. As well I have interacted with Patti's husband, Son and Brother as well as the owner Kathy. Everyone here is so nice! These cottages are at the top of the Island and in a perfect spot, They are close to the main road yet off in a little quiet cove. Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are short drives down the road, Access to the quiet side of the island is within a short drive and the bigger city of Ellsworth is just 15 minutes away from the cottages. If your a casual, laid back traveler then this is the place for you! A couple of notes: For breakfast go to Jeannie's Lumberjack Breakfast on Cottage street in Bar Harbor, Lunch and dinner go to Side Street Cafe on Rodick Street.

Room Tip: Cottage #1 and #2 have the best water views, The Victorian Cottage is very cute!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write about and share your experience with our property. It is always a pleasure to see you among the growing number of returning guests, and we do miss you when you are not able to brighten our season with your presence.

We are glad to know that you are an informed traveler, and agree that research and questions are the best way to know if a property will offer you the amenities and services you seek. We are pleased to know that you are continually satisfied enough to return to us again and again, bringing friends along.

Many of our guests tell us that they find our location to be ideal; within 10 minutes of the downtown business district, 5 minutes to Acadia National Park, and a short ride to the other side of the island. At the end of a busy day, they are a short ride back to their cottage where they can enjoy their screened porch and comfortable bed. Our staff, led by our manager Patti, all work together with the goal of making our guests stay as enjoyable as possible. Patti does take great pleasure in assisting our guests with information that helps make their visit to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park a wonderful experience.

Thank you again for your continued patronage and support. We look forward to seeing you again in our future seasons.
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Recent visit to Bar Harbor – stayed at the Bar Harbor Cottages for 5 nights. Upon arrival the accommodations were not what I expected. I expected quaint but dated accommodations, but the interior was very dated, the bedrooms were really small and most of the luggage had to be stored in the living area. The mattresses gave most a backache each morning. There is no daily housekeeping, no soap or shampoo was provided and the towels were hard enough to scratch your skin. Since the weather was wonderful most of the time at the cottage was spent outside in the screened in porch, which was fine. Since the majority of our time was spent on activities in Bar Harbor and Acadia this place served its purpose. If you are looking for any type of a star rated accommodations I suggest you look somewhere else. On a positive note the innkeeper Patti was very informative, the gardens are beautiful and there is a water view from several cabins!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
coachbarharbor_9, Owner at Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Thank you Trip Advisor for the opportunity to clarify this review. I am glad
to know that the reviewer appreciated all the information provided by our
resident manager Patti, their screened porch, water views, the beautiful
gardens, and location of our property.

Our guest comfort and satisfaction is our primary goal, and we are fortunate
to have many repeat guests and referrals who indicate to us that our website
depicts clear and accurate interior and exterior photos of each of our
cottages and the grounds. On the rare occasion we receive a guest comment
that we have not met their expectation, it is generally because they have a
misperception of what we offer due to their lack of research. We believe
this is the case with this guest, and that if they had taken the time to
review our website and ask questions prior to booking, the misperceptions
expressed in her comments could have been avoided.

In many previous reviews and responses, as well as the FAQ page of our
website, we clearly acknowledge that although our cottages are average size
for this area, and perhaps a little larger due to the screened porches, they
do not offer the same space as a private home, condo or apartment. We also
state on the Home Page, the Guest Cottages page and the FAQ page that these
are self-catering cottages, and that we offer mid stay housekeeping on stays
of 4 days or more. This reviewer does not note that when her party was
offered that housekeeping, it was declined.

Since our marketing indicates that we are a small family owned and operated
business, not a large hotel chain or resort, we do not offer the same
amenities. Although we do not supply shampoo, we do provide, bath soap,
toilet paper, dish liquid, trash bags, etc. as well as a small welcome
hospitality basket. Our incoming guests will find well maintained grounds
and clean, stylish, comfortable furnishings and accommodations set up with
top quality designer linens, beddings, and towels and monitored and replaced
frequently. All of our beds have been replaced in the past couple of years.
Each cottage prior to guest arrival is personally inspected by the owner.

Daily replacement supplies are available in our self serve barn. While the
replacement towels in the barn are older and may not have the same fluffy
texture as those which have been set up in the cottages, they are not
scratchy. However, if the reviewer had at any time let us know of her
concern with the replacement towels in the barn, we would have been happy to
supply her with towels that she felt were more comfortable. At the time of
arrival and orientation to the property Patti encourages people to let her
know if there is anything they need to make their stay more comfortable and
enjoyable. Unfortunately, in our pleasant contact with her and others in her
party throughout their stay, no one expressed any concerns even when
directly asked "how is your stay so far?", and therefore, we were not given
the opportunity to remedy any perceived problem.

Been to Bar Harbor Cottages and Suites? Share your experiences!