“Bitterly Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 33 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
atlanta
“Bitterly Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at this overpriced "B&B" that neither provided the expected breakfast fare nor the clean, comfortable bed. I paid for the most expensive room at the Shore Path, ostensibly with the "incredibly breathtaking ocean view," only to find most of the ocean view blocked by a tree screen put up by the next door neighbor, whose lawn curves around in front of Shore Path's property. The linens and towels were not changed by the maid every day, and when I confronted the owner, she acted surprised that I made such a request at all. She then confronted the confused maid in front of me (the maid was just following the owner's directions) which I found extremely uncomfortable. The owner also did not have maid service until 4-4:30 pm, making relaxing/showering/changing in your room prior to the evening's activities impossible. The shower in my room was so small that the stall could not contain the water and a person's body at the same time--a good inch collected on the floor despite my efforts to keep the opening sealed with the shower curtain. Breakfast was a disappointing array of "healthy" cereals and watery, cheap coffee that could best be described as lukewarm. The owner acted put out if she was asked to cook anything for her guests, and actually requested that all of the guests come down at exactly the same time so that she didn't have to make more than one batch of eggs or pot of coffee. I actually had to walk to a coffee shop every morning to get a decent cup of coffee and a danish to start my day. Last year I stayed at another B&B in Bar Harbor, paid the same price, and was treated to a totally different experience. Hope anyone reading this will not make the same mistake that I did.

• Liked — the location was close to downtown Bar Harbor
  • Disliked — the owner's misrepresentation of her B&B, the lack of cleanliness, owner's poor attitude, loudness of owner and guests
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at another B&B that is worth the price
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2006

and could visit as often as time could allow. My daughters who are 22 and I were made to feel incredibly welcome to this cottage by the shore.The location was perfect....we were able to walk everywhere....The porch was soo inviting after a day spent exploring/biking/shopping. When the room I rented proved to be tight for three adults ( I was on a budget) we were given an extra room at no extra charge. The rooms were clean and inviting, the homemade breakfasts and stimulating conversations from other vacationers made for the start of perfect days.There are no bells and whisles at this B&B.....no blasting televisions....no "hotel'' style linens....just pure old fashioned enjoyment...peace...quiet and a hostess whose joy at sharing moments of her guests journeys appears genuine. I plan to return to Bar harbor and will make thisB&B my first choice.

• Liked — The owner and location
  • Disliked — I liked it all
  • Tips/Secrets — owner is vegetarian and makes great dishes
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Midwest U.S.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

I don't normally post reviews, but I feel compelled to help paint a more realistic picture of this B&B. My husband and I have stayed in many B&Bs/inns throughout the U.S., and even a couple outside the U.S. While the Shore Path is by no means awful, the main problem we had with it is that it is extremely overpriced for what it is. Based on what it was like, I think somewhere in the $75-100 range would be a fairer price per night. And yes, I am taking into consideration its location, which was the main reason we chose to stay there. The web site is a bit misleading -- it doesn't show that the cottage is a bit run down (it reminded me of staying at grandma's house). Also, I'm surprised to hear another reviewer mention eating waffles and pancakes at this place -- we stayed for several nights and basically had a continental breakfast each morning (after expecting a "hearty" breakfast as advertised on the web site). Part of the reason we are willing to pay a bit more for a B&B is because we typically get a wonderful breakfast with special dishes that fills us up throughout much of the day, sometimes even until dinner. Here, we were lucky if the owner offered us some scrambled eggs. Also, the noise level was definitely a problem. We could hear noise above, below, and beside us. A family in an adjoining room was putting their children to bed and we could hear them softly singing a lullaby. We felt that we had to be extremely quiet in order not to disturb them. Also, if you are bothered by not having door locks on individual rooms, you should not stay here. We didn't end up having any issues with it, but I had brought my laptop with me and had to bring it with me everywhere rather than leave it in the room. The bottom line, based on our experience, is that this B&B is overpriced, in need of updating, and we were longing to leave. It soured a stay in a beautiful town. Again, I don't think most of these things would have bothered us as much if we were paying somewhere in the $75-100 range. We will not stay here the next time we're in Bar Harbor. Disappointing. Not a good place for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

This B&B combines a priceless view of the sea with incredible convienience to Bar Harbor and a pleasant, old-fashioned cottage experience. My room was clean and bright and comfortable -- although not represented as deluxe, it still had the other amenities that matter to me such as bedside lighting, a ceiling fan in case of unusual heat, a hair dryer, etc. The breakfasts were generous and delicious, and the owner most helpful. I was so taken with the place that I lingered long on the large cottage porch, enjoying the air and views and the feeling of quiet and solitude so unexpected in the middle of town. I scarcely needed a car, as one could walk directly into the hubbub of Bar Harbor in less than five minutes. I look forward to any opportunity to return.
M. O'B., Washington, DC

• Liked — Location and comfort
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

My wife and I regrettably stayed at Shore Path Cottage in the summer of 2005. Based on that terrible experience we chose another B & B for 2006. Which, btw, was fantastic at the same price.

The problem with Shore Path Cottage is that it is a fraud. From the website, it purports to be a lovely Bed and Breakfast. It is actually a badly furnished Lake House. I agree with the other reviews that it is cheaply furnished, has average food, is noisey and that the linens and towels are old and worn. Not something that one would expect for $200.00-$280.00/night.

SPC is just not what it's website claims to be. At $280.00/night one expects great food, good service and first class furnishings....none of that exists at Shore Path Cottage. Quite frankly, SPC should charge no more than $105.00/night, in line with some of the older 1950's motels that dot Highway 3 coming in to town. SPC is comparable in service and furnishings to those type of motels.

There are so many better B & B's in Bar Harbor at the same price, one would be foolish to risk a stay at SPC. It is without a doubt the worst B&B that we've ever stayed. Steer clear!

Old Orchard Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I spent 7 days in July, 2006 at this lovely and quaint bed and breakfast in Bar Harbor, Maine. The cottage is truly that - I felt like I had gone back in time to the days when cottages were the norm on this island. The cottage sits near the end of a dead end street; facing Frenchman's Bay, where one can sit and watch lobstermen pull in their traps while reading a literary classic (all available on the many book shelves throughout this lovely old house) and sipping some lemonade in the late afternoon OR gather some newfound friends together for a game of badminton or croquet on the front lawn that meanders down towards the shore path and the water OR play the grand piano that sits in the parlor OR nap on the comfortable bed in your room while ocean breezes stream in through the open windows of your room. The rooms are lovely with wood floors and wood ceilings, art work and books - most with views of the ocean. The history of the house and the people who have inhabited it over the years is evident everywhere. There are no TVs or phones or clocks - so if you are looking for lodging that keeps you connected to the rest of the frenetic world and/or has a myriad of amenities and cushy furnishings, this is not the place for you. If you are interested in some quiet time, watching wildlife and hearing the sounds of working people, along with meeting some great people from all over, participating in some wonderful conversations and creating new friendships, this is a must-stay place. I truly felt like I got away from it all while I was here. Roberta is a genteel and attentive hostess - her breakfasts were simple, healthy and hearty; she also can pack bag lunches upon request and care packages for those travelers heading for home. A couple of things you may want to know are that this cottage is the only kosher B & B in the state of Maine and the menu for breakfasts is vegetarian - if you really want meat, there are plenty of restaurants close by that can appease those appetities for lunch and dinner. I absolutely loved my stay here and I was sad to leave. I lingered on the porch for an hour or two before I departed, simply watching the activities on the water and breathing the clean salt air. If you happen to travel to Bar Harbor and you are looking for some place where life is slow, easy and peaceful, please check out the Shore Path Cottage - it's truly lovely! Rhonda Wronski, Old Orchard Beach, ME

Stockton, N.J.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Shore Path Cottage in mid-July 2006. The property borders the ocean and is located a very short walk from Bar Harbor. It is a very short ride to Acadia National Park and other points onf interest on Mount Dessert Island.
Our room was comfortable and very clean, fresh linens and towells readily available. We also had nice views of the ocean and a nicely -tended yard, with lots of flowers. Unlike the usual "continental breakfast" served at most bed-and-breakfasts, home-made waffles and pancakes were also served in a very nice dining room. Our interactions with other guests was also very pleasant. My wife and I enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend Shore Path Cottage to any of our friends planning on visiting Bar Harbor.

Stayed June 2006

Been to Shore Path Cottage? Share your experiences!