“Wonderful time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 33 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

What a great introduction to ME. Roberta and Elizabeth were the most perfect of hostesses. We instantly were made to feel that we were at home, away from home. These terrific ladies were warm, knowledgable, kind and generous. They care a lot about their B&B and their guests and it really shows.

Highly recommended.

Ron, DC

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

After 3 days of phone calls back and forth on accommodations, we confirm our reservation and suddenly the room cost (which had been previously confirmed in email) increased by more than $100, and THEN, although this Inn accepts credit cards (see their website), the owner required payment in cash/check. Based on other reviews, I was looking forward to visiting this Inn. These tactics are red flags and needless to say, we found other accommodations. Caveat Emptor!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lu, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I must first apologise to Roberta and her wonderful family for taking so long to write this review, it is long overdue.
We are a Norwegian/English family of 5 who visited the US, Canada and Mexico for the first time in August 2012. We travelled extensively and stayed in many interesting places, but Shore Path Cottage was by far our favourite place. Trying to find something on the internet is always difficult, but this lives up to all expectations - and more!
The actual house was just as we had envisaged, the rooms were airy and comfortable and sitting on the porch looking at the view was perfect. The green lawns leading down to the sea were idyllic. Also, the location for wandering along the lovely shore path into the centre of Bar Harbor was ideal. Having been there and seen the location of many of the other B & Bs we looked at online, I am so glad we chose Shore Path Cottage.
The best thing about our stay there, however, were our hostesses, who did everything to make us feel welcome. We loved chatting with them all and finding out about the area. Breakfasts around the big table in the dining room were lovely, both with regard to the great food and the company. It was iinteresting to get tips from the other guests every morning. This isn't usually our style as we are very inependent travellers, but we all enjoyed chatting with people, even our children were surprised at what fun it was - and they were 17, 15 and 13 at the time. To the reviewers who in the past have complained about the chattiness of their hostess I would ask why on earth choose a bed and breakfast instead of an impersonal, insipid chain hotel if you want to be a loner, and how can you be so rude?
We all thought it was great to come in after a day out and find fresh lemonade, warm cookies or some other delicacy waiting for us. A real luxury.
We went whale watching, which was probably the highlight of our whole trip, as we saw a lot of whales and other sea life, took nice walks into Jordan Pond House to eat popovers and went to the top of Cadillac Mountain to see the sun rise. And, of course, we ate a lot of lobster! The combination of activities and a lovely place to stay was perfect. Thank you!
We talked about doing a 'house swap' one day so that we could go back to this idyllic place and Roberta and her daughters could visit Tuscany - I really hope we manage to do this one day in the near future!!!

Room Tip: The family suite, Cecily I think, was perfect for a family of 5-6 - and the view was fantastic!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've stayed 3 times at the Shore Path Cottage, on my way back from summer camp where I was dropping my kids. The first time was pure luck, and we were so happily surprised. A little set back from the noisy buzz of the town, right on the sea this place is so calming and relaxing, Roberta is delightful, so welcoming and charming, the breakfast is so delicious, and if the weather permits you can have it on the porch with the morning sun...really nice before going on a hike on Cadillac Mountain ! the third time I was there with my sister and a friend and they too, just loved it. I vacation in Maine every summer and the drive to The summer camp is long, it is so nice to know I'll have a good rest at Roberta's on my way back !! This summer I hope my husband will come along, he has never been to Acadia, BarHarbor and the Cottage and it's worth the trip !!

Room Tip: La chambre de Roberta est magnifique
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Louisville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Roberta met my sister and I at the front door with a smile and made us feel right at home. Shore Path Cottage is a very unique property. The large porch and garden are right on the Atlantic so beautiful & peaceful & yet you are only a very short walk to the square. The rooms were comfortable & each had it's own personality. The breakfasts were delicious . Fresh fruit & homemade granola were available each am. Plus we were offered pancakes one am & eggs the next. I would highly recommend staying with Roberta and her daughters. I will go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Shore Path Cottage is an ideal get away in a beautiful setting. This large home once sheltered Roberta's large family and their presence is imbued in the interior design and comfortable look and feel of the inn. We loved the variety and quality of breakfast options including delicious veggie omelets and amazing gingered salmon. Afternoon wine and cake was an awesome treat after bicycling in Acadia Park. Roberta spent time visiting with her guests to ensure everyone was satisfied with their meals and experience overall. We are delighted to recommend Shore Path and consider Roberta to be one of the most caring innkeepers we've ever met.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We reserved a room at the Shore Path for a long weekend trip to Bar Harbor. The location was great, the home is beautiful, and the hostess is a very lovely woman. It just fell a little short for us. Part of the reason we booked Shore Path is that it boasted a healthy and hearty breakfast, but the first day we were there, very little was served and I'm not sure that what was tasted very organic (of course I could be wrong). This did improve by the second day, but you may want to check and make sure you're not one of two couples staying there or it could be an issue for you too. We stayed in Lisabeth's room, which I felt was a little overpriced for its size, the bed and the bathroom. The bed was not a king sized bed, but two twin beds pushed together. The bathroom was a small addition that was built into the room that only one person can fit into at a time. Maybe a single traveler would be comfortable, but it's definitely not a room for a couple. The other rooms looked very nice and perhaps like they had true king beds. Once snack time came, there was some stale pretzels and chips in a small bowl that were served with a bottle of wine (that hopefully hadn't been open for as long as the pretzels or chips). The bottom line for me was that the home was beautiful and the woman who runs it was very nice, but the bed, bathroom and food served were not what I expected based on the website description and the amount that we paid for the stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shore Path Cottage? Share your experiences!