“Just right” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holland Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Holland Inn
Save Saved
You added Holland Inn to your Saves list
35 Holland Avenue, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #7 of 33 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Eustis, Florida
“Just right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We just got back from a 3 night stay in the Ship Harbor room. It was wonderfully quiet and very comfortable, though we spent most of our time out exploring Acadia and the town. Evin is a gracious innkeeper and has outstanding advice on restaurants, sights and the region. Her breakfasts are a treat and we really enjoyed laughing it up with our fellow diners. The inn is in a super location, convenient to several great restaurants and a bike rental shop.

We plan to go back to visit the area again and will definitely make Holland Inn our top priority for booking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Holland Inn is located a short stroll from downtown Bar Harbor. We stayed in the Valley Room located int the house behind the Main House. It was spacious with a King sized bed and a sitting area. LCD TV, DVD player, and coffee maker. The room was well decorated with homey decor. The innkeeper, Evin, was gracious and very helpful. Breakfast each day was delicious and home made with fresh fruit and herbs from the garden. Evin served the breakfast and gave information about what was happening for the day, including a weather report and how many cruise passengers were in port that day.

There are many Inn and B&B's in Bar Harbor, but this has to be one the best. It is very reasonably price, too!

I would recommend it highly and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I liked the guest house in the back. It is very quiet and in the garden.
niles,mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed for one night in late August and had a excellent stay. We arrived late afternoon and Evin checked us a nd another couple in at the same time. She then asked us about dinner plans and gave us suggestions on places to eat and things to do at night. In the morning after a great breakfast Evin gave us suggestions on places to stop in Acadia National Park on our motorcycle.In addition she also gave us some other suggestion on places to see on our motorcycle that were off of the beaten path.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed for 2 night. It was wonderful. When we arrived to the holland inn,
Evin, the owner, upgraded our room complimentary because it was our honeymoon.
The room was beautiful and unique.
The breakfast was delicious and healthy.
The location is in the center of bar harbor.
Evin gave us directions and a map for our one day trip to Acadia and some good tips for restaurants .
In total - it was a verry good choice and defiantly will come back again.

• Stayed September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Bar Harbor. It turned out to be a very last minute one and I count myself very lucky to be able to get into the Holland Inn. We stayed in two rooms over four nights. It was fantastic! Evin is incredibly knowledgable, helpful. Given that this was a last-minute trip, we arrive with very little plans and she was able to give us an overview and also help us plan our days. The location was great and the rooms were terrific. We were on a kid-free getaway, and it was perfect.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is an awesome place to stay in Bar Harbor. Two night mid-September stay w/ girlfriend and parents. Us, 30's stayed in Pretty Marsh room, them 50's stayed in Valley Cove room. Both rooms were great, big beds, quiet, plenty of sitting area, fridge, TV, GIGANTIC TV REMOTE, and all the stuff we needed to help us enjoy a first trip to Bar Harbor, i.e. brochures, menus, maps, and lots of character.

Evin is a meticulous and very accommodating innkeeper. At checkin, the first thing you do is sign up for your breakfast time. Evin asks you to choose a time slot, 7:30, 8:30 or 9:30 and make her aware of any dietary restrictions which she then notates on this big breakfast board. My parents, both very risk averse eaters, engaged Evin in a ten minute dialogue about what they like and do not like for breakfast, while Evin made note after note on her board, tracking every shunned breakfast item my parents rattled off. Very funny, but I'm sure appreciated. On the other hand, the breakfast prepared for my girlfriend and me was chock full of ingredients, flavor and creativity. The chef’s versatility is impressive.

I highly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Bar Harbor.

Room Tip: Pretty Marsh in the small house is nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Inkeeper is very attentive and handles her guests as if we were a tour group. Breakfast served is attractive and creative, not always tasty. Once served by a foreign student that quietly places the food infront of you without a smile, as if on automatic roll (yes she is like a robot, because she serves the breakfast at 7:30, 8:30 and 9:30 as the dining has to empty out because not all guests can be served together.) Once breakfast is served the Inkeeper proudly arrives, announces what are we eating and generously offers seconds, and speak to the group while we are eating rather than if we were individual guests. The living room provided for the guests is very tight, crowded with a couch, not inviting for the guests to socialize together. Neither is the dining room as tables for two are setup. The guest rooms are very spacious and comfortable, however the walls are thin so you can hear the other guests speaking in their rooms. The worst part is if a guest in the room on the upper floor has a TV on or decides to walk to cross the room....than it is like horses stomping over your head. We stayed the "required" minimum of two nights, during that time a light bulb was burned out in one of the fixture. Not once were we asked if there was anything missing in the room or if the Inkeeper can do something for us. She was always hurriedly busy so one felt as we were taking time away from her. Otherwise the shortcomings of burned out light bulb, etc. would have been mentioned. The AC is turned off at 9 pm, so on a hot, humid,sticky night, you just hope you can sleep with the windows open and ceiling fan on...to keep you cool.

Innkeeper37, Owner at Holland Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Hi there. I am so sorry that you were uncomfortable during your stay. I did want to just respond to a few of things that you mentioned. In regards to my staff person. She is an incredibly wonderful student from Bulgaria who is here to learn about the US, to meet people and to learn English. She is very shy at first, but loves to chat when engaged. I couldn't ask for a better person.
The layout of the inn is definitely geared toward two to four people, although all the common areas have seating for 8-10. I have found over the years, that people seem to enjoy having more space in the bedrooms compared with the common areas. So when I have renovated, I have kept that in mind and tried to optimize the rooms. I wanted to mention too, that I performed all the renovations to both buildings at the inn and I personally insulated each and every wall, floor, ceiling, attic, ect. They are all standard thickness walls. I think B&B's are generally a bit louder than hotel, because it is like being in someone's house, and their room is right next to or above yours. Not to mention some people are louder than others. I'm sorry the sounds bothered you and I hope you were able to sleep.
In regards to the AC, it has always been a hot topic for one reason or another. People love, need and want it, or they don't want it and don't want to listen to it. I have come to hold the policy that if it is forecast for under 60 at night, then I turn the system off in the basement. I make sure everyone knows at check in that I am very accommodating if anyone asks for me to turn it on or off at any time. I wish you would have said something.
I'm not sure about the light bulb, we must have not noticed it. And I wouldn't have asked if you needed anything for the room, because I would hope and expect that everything would be there for you. I am sorry that you felt like I didn't take the time to spend with you. My favorite part of inn keeping is helping everyone out so they have a good time. I go out of my way to try to help every single guests individually. Perhaps if arrived on a day when there were a lot of new arrivals, that would explain if I was talking to the whole group. Anyway, I am sorry that it wasn't what you expected and I hope you still had a great time in Bar Harbor and Acadia.
Evin

Been to Holland Inn? Share your experiences!