“Affordable, pet friendly accomodation at downtown Bar Harbor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quimby House Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Quimby House Inn
109 Cottage Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #14 of 40 hotels in Bar Harbor
MD
“Affordable, pet friendly accomodation at downtown Bar Harbor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Pros:
* Pet friendly
* Affordable rate with
very good and consistent TripAdvisor reviews/ratings (why we chose it)
* Very clean
* Great location - short walk to downtown and harbor, restaurants. Short drive to Acadia National Park.
* Great location - bike rental place across the street, gas station, convenient store and supermarket right next door.
* Owner Tim and staff we met are friendly and helpful when we had questions. The refrigerator in the room was making humming pitch that was giving us headaches. We turned it off when we are in the room and Tim address the issue.
* Separate entrance for pet friendly room and can park right in front of the room - very convenient

Cons:
* Our room is the farthest room in annex bldg, wifi from main bldg does not reach the room. We didn't need to be connected 24x7, so going to the main bldg is not an issue and the setup is comfortable there, just not as convenient. Owner told us he has been trying various things to get wifi there and plans to try something else during off season.

It was a nice experience and we would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: If 24x7 Internet connectivity is important, check with inn before selecting a room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

219 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Convenient walk to downtown and easy access to Acadia National Park
Sheets need to be replaced (well worn and small holes)
Could offer continental breakfast with the coffee. Owner not as friendly as other reviews on this site would indicate

• Stayed October 2012
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just spent two nights at the Quimby House! The location is ideal, the staff all very friendly and helpful, the rooms were dated but immaculate! Great housekeeping staff! For Bar Harbor, the inn was one of the more affordable ones. Would highly recommend this to anyone considering a visit to Bar Harbor, you will not be disappointed. We had such an enjoyable stay, we cannot wait to go back!!

Room Tip: We were in a room on the second floor, and it was so spacious! Two queen size beds, a pull out slee...
Gaithersburg, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at The Quimby Inn. This Inn is a little hard to rate because what it does well, it does exceptionally, but a few areas really were frustrating for us.

First the great...
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION...we were there off season (late Sept) so traffic was a non-issue but we could tell that having a place so centrally located, within easy walking distance of every spot in downtown Bar Harbor would be a life saver during busier times. We also LOVED discovering the bike/scooter/kayak rental across the street. The owners were great and our 3 hour scooter rental was definitely one of our trip's highlights.

ALL of the Quimby Inn staff we interacted with were super friendly and eager to help answer any questions and provide advice on local restaurants and activities.

Our room was on the third floor and was very well sized, seemed larger than an Embassy Suite room. The decor was dated, but I'm more interested in a room's functionality than it's decor. The room had a nice sized desk, mini fridge which kept drinks super cold, king sized bed, love seat/sleeper sofa and an extra chair.

Room was spotless, great cleaning staff!

The shower was a plus/minus feature. It had a tiny (1") shower head, which made me worry that it was going to be cold. However, the water pressure was VERY strong and the water could get quite hot, so that was never a problem. I got used to it. However, I think a more traditional shower head would be a bit more comfortable. This one shot out a fine mist, but at great pressure.

Lighting in the bathroom was excellent and overall the room lighting was very good.

Towels were great - thick, soft and absorbent.

We were on the 3rd floor and my husband liked the walk-up in the back of the Inn for access. It gave a more private feel to the place, like we had our own entrance. It was a nice easy access to the parking lot too.

As with many rooms, it lacked a simple hook rack which would make hanging the fleece and rain jackets much easier. I wish I could tell every hotel/motel/inn to just add a rack of 6 hooks to their rooms to help their guests keep their outerwear stored easily. There were a total of 6 hangers, but we needed those for our nicer shirts and slacks. There wasn’t an iron in the room.

Now the three areas which we felt needed definite attention.

#1 We know the Inn is energy conscious, which I like. However, we used far more electricity during this trip than usual because we felt we had to keep our curtains closed nearly all the time and use the lights day and night. Our room had windows on adjoining walls, which also could have provided a wonderful cross breeze, but there were no sheers on the windows. The Inn is in town, so we felt very exposed whenever the curtains were open. We felt we had to keep them closed almost all the time and this made the room feel darker and not as cheery. It also had us using the AC more often than would have been necessary if we had the cross breeze. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a motel/hotel without sheers and this is one simple addition would have made a big difference in our stay.

#2 TV- The TV was an old 20” CRT, placed 17 feet from the bed! It was laughable. I know we didn’t go to Bar Harbor to watch TV, we enjoyed hiking and rock climbing and other adventures all day. However, we realized that after such fully active days we were quite tired by 8pm each night and were really looking forward to an hour or two of relaxation and entertainment back in the room This was not possible. There was a straight backed chair, but no place to rest the feet. This made it uncomfortable for sitting in any length of time. The love seat was placed nearly adjacent to the TV so the viewing angle was terrible (it was too heavy to move). Meanwhile, we had a huge white space on the wall right in front of our bed. It would be so easy to put a small flat screen up there and make it much more comfortable for guests to keep up with the news and enjoy some nightly entertainment. Also, we discovered the channel up/down buttons only worked for channels 2-15. It took a day to discover that to get any other channels you had to manually enter the number. Finally, since it was the old size ratio, anytime a show was on that was formatted for a widescreen TV, the picture shrank to an even smaller size, probably around 8” high.

#3 The final issue was the bed. Linens and size (king) were great and they provided plenty of pillows. However, both my husband and I woke to a sore back every morning. I’m pretty sure it’s because it did not have any sort of pillow top or memory cushion on top, so it was harder than most beds we’ve slept on. We like a firm bed for support, but need some sort of cushioning for comfort. Bed preferences are very individual, so I’m listing this issue last since I can believe it was a perfectly fine bed for others.

Overall, I can tell the owners put a lot of effort into this Inn and the staff is wonderful. The three issues I listed would mean I'd have to consider other places for my next visit, but I liked the atmosphere and location so much I know I would also miss staying here.

Room Tip: If you don' t mind the stairs, top floor is very quiet and private. We liked room 317.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Had a wonderful time in Bar Harbor. It was my first time there and the Inn was in a perfect location. Near Jordan's Restaurant (great breakfasts). A short walk to the Harbor and beautiful views. Everything that was recommended turned out to be fun including the tour of Acadia National Park.

Eliot, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We went to Bar Harbor for our friends wedding. We decided on the The Quimby House because it was affordable and only 1/2 mile from the Bar Harbor Inn where they were getting married. The rooms are very clean, which I loved. But, they are very old and could use some updating. We stayed in the 2 room suite in the Annex building, which was very roomy. Although we got charged an extra $20 a night because we had a 3rd person in our room. They didn't mentioned that on the website when I booked. The pullout couch bed was horrific. The mattress is about 2 inches thick. So I would recommend just getting the smaller rooms at the lower prices and have a bed. Location is great, walking distance to Main street where all the action is.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

We live in NH and decided on a quick, impromptu trip up to Acadia during my husband's vacation in August. As a family of four with 10-year-old twins, we were having a hard time finding options that accommodated all four of us without having to get two very pricey rooms. We came across the "annex" rooms at Quimby House and thought they sounded perfect!

It turned out to be true. The annex offers two "one bedroom apartment" style suites on the second floor. The living room had both a queen sleeper sofa and a twin sleeper loveseatso the kids didn't even have to share a bed! My husband and I were happy, as night owls, to be able to have them in bed at a decent hour, while still having somewhere to go without disturbing them.

The rooms (including a kitchen) were immaculate. The decor in the annex is pure '80's, but everything was super clean and worked fine. There are small TV's in both the living room and the bedroom, the shower pressure was phenomenal, the bed comfortable. Our only warning would be the sleeper sofa. My son didn't seem to notice, but an adult would likely have some complaints about the pretty saggy mattress (the one on the twin loveseat was much, much better.)

On the end of one of the main streets, the location is great for walking to restaurants and the like, but also far enough towards the end that it's not loud and crazy. There is a grocery right across the street, which was particularly nice with the kitchen.

The owners/staff were helpful with recommendations and also with providing us a place to stash our bikes in what seemed to be a working shed. We will definitely go back the next time we head for Acadia.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quimby House Inn? Share your experiences!