“Highlight of our Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Highlight of our Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My boyfriend did a lot of great things when we visited Bar Harbor, but I remember our dinner at the Burning Tree as being a highlight. It's a bit of a drive, but was well worth it. The house and gardens are lovely, and the whole experience was really romantic for the two of us. I'm not sure when we'd be back in Bar Harbor, but we would definitely go back there. I can't remember exactly what I had, but it was something like a gouda doughnut - sounds weird, but my dinner was amazing.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
Boston
“Seriously, be sure to go if you are a foodie!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Excellent dinner, cocktails, dessert and service. Creative refreshing and delicious. The experience builds like Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. A must do when visiting the area. We will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
dedham
“Very Overrated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I had a reservation and still had to wait 40 minutes to be seated. The food was average at best. the portions were very smal and overpriced. Service was good. I have no idea why this is ranked #1. There are many better restaurants in Bar Harbor.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Food As It Should Be!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My girlfriend is a Bar Harbor native and recommended this place. It was a short drive outside of town and the place was packed when we arrived, although we did make a reservation. I immediately noticed the gardens around the establishment as we parked, noting that not only did the owners purchase locally harvested ingredients but they also GREW their own on premises. Nice touch! The waitress completely "wowed" me with a verbal recitation of the menu and ingredients (when questioned). If she's hoping to become an actress she'll have no difficulty memorizing script lines, for sure. We had mussels in a spicy coconut broth appetizer along with a broccoli rabe flatbread that we shared. After deciding what we wanted for entrees we ordered our first bottle of wine to compliment our meals and service was quick but unrushed, despite the number of people still waiting for a table. She had the pan seared yellowfin tuna and I the grilled scallops with saffron reduction. Amazing is the only word that comes to mind! I've eaten at a lot of restaurants during my life and it's not often that I become so enamored by food but... my comment as we ate was, "Everyone should be able to eat like this everyday!" The world would be a better place if people could have such an opportunity to enjoy simplicities like this done with care and precision. Although we're no longer together, maybe a return trip to Maine and Burning Tree will rekindle the flame we once had together? Bon Appetito!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
MN
“Creative menu, local ingredients”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Season was winding down the night we visited. The restaurant was full when we arrived at 8 but was almost empty when we finished. The location is a short drive from Bar Harbor. The food was very good, we enjoyed the sole and swordfish. The service was good, waitress was very friendly. The room was unusually cold, could have been the change of seasons.

• Visited October 2012