“Bar Harbor's best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hearthside B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Hearthside B&B
You added Hearthside B&B to your Saves list
7 High Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #5 of 34 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
“Bar Harbor's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights in the Emily Dickinson room, and are still talking about the charming amenities and how much we miss the innkeepers! Barry was friendly, welcoming, and funny, right from the start. We truly felt like we were staying at a close friend's house for the weekend. He had great tips, and was very warm. His wife, Susan, is also wonderful. She prepared us delicious bag lunches for our day of hiking in Acadia (which we were glad we opted for, as we were starving after our hikes!). The Emily Dickinson room is spacious and comfortable. The chamber maid didn't make it to our room before we got back from our hike, but that was our fault, not hers. We had everything we needed, and she was happy to come back later if we needed (we didn't).

The breakfasts here were also delicious. They generally provide one option, but accommodate dietary needs as needed. We enjoyed eggs benedict the first morning, and the BEST blueberry pancakes in the second. We also got into a random conversation with Barry about the delicious breakfast sausage that came with the pancakes (apparently sourced from a farm in Chicago). Overall, this is a WONDERFUL place, the innkeepers are lovely, and the food is delicious. You can't lose. Also, I am NOT one for souvenirs. Usually the experience is enough to take away with me. That said, I could not leave this inn without buying one of their mugs as a keepsake. I loved the experience, and the mug, that much. We already miss it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I just completed a stay here with a friend and it was perfect! We stayed in two different rooms and each was was so clean you could eat off the floor! They each had their own style. Even though we didn't use it the Emily Dickinson room had a small fireplace with two chairs you could sit in. Canterbury court on the thurs floor (up 2 flights of steps) was simple and clean and all we needed! The breakfasts were cooked fresh for each person each day. The Eggs Benedict were delicious as was the quiche and French toast. Also could not have asked for better hosts. They were so friendly and gave us good suggestions on what to do and where to eat! Mâché bistro in town was the best meal we had! Upscale food in a casual environment! Also the location of the inn was ideal. Right in the center of town but on a quiet side street! 5 minute walk to Main Street but 2 minutes to cottage street which is another main st in town! I would without a doubt stay there next time I'm at bar harbor!!

• Stayed July 2013
cincinnati, oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our third trip back to the Hearthside B & B in Bar Harbor, and each time has been as wonderful as the first. Susan's breakfasts are the best of any B & B we have been to (and there have been quite a few). There are many choices each morning, and each day brings a different main course for the meal. The rooms are immaculate, and the computer available in the living room lets guests keep in touch with the real world. Barry is a wonderful source of information about appropriate hikes to take in Acadia Park, and he also has some great restaurant recommendations. The wonderful "hotel - style" soap, shampoo and lotion added to the pleasure of hopping into a comfortable bed each night. We always have so much to chat about with the other guests as well, because for some reason, the friendliest most outgoing people choose to stay at the Hearthside.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the Winston Churchill and Wuthering Heights, both great rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hearthside B&B was a beyond delightful experience. Susan and Barry were incredible hosts. They ran a clean, friendly, and quiet B&B. I looked forward to waking up for breakfast before I went to bed, and returning for an afternoon homemade baked good after a long day of exploring Acadia. The location is also unbeatable - a block away from downtown. Don't miss out, stay at the Hearthside B&B!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our stay in Prince Albert - a more affordable room because the bathroom was right down th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We've spent several nights here and will likely do so again, if we return to Bar Harbor. This is an extremely well operated B&B, yet warm and friendly. Barry and Susan are perfect hosts.The rooms are all lovely, and clean, with special little amenities in each one. Breakfast is beyond delicious. I have some special dietary needs and they were accommodated wonderfully.
Its so nice to be able to walk to town from here and avoid all those parking issues. Our hosts were able to make recommendations for restaurants and attractions. They even have menus for all the town's eateries. You can't lose if you stay here. It is perfect!!!

Room Tip: They're all good!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed 2 great nights in Bar Harbor and really enjoyed our stay at the Hearthside B&B. Barry and Susan were great hosts. The accommodations were great and the breakfast each day were just a good. The homemade brownies were delicious. The location is a very short walk to everything in Bar Harbor. We recommended the location to two other couples in Boston during out trip and highly recommend it and if we return to the area, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I recently spent three lovely nights at The Hearthside B&B while visiting Bar Harbor and Acadia National park for the first time. The innkeepers, Barry and Susan, were absolutely wonderful!! The breakfasts (blueberry pancakes, eggs Benedict, and Belgian waffles) were freshly prepared and delicious. They also had several other options available (cereals, muffins, bagels, coffee cake, amazing!!! homemade granola, etc) and even whipped up some eggs at the request of the more carb-conscious guests. Unfortunately, I only made it back in time for afternoon refreshments on one occasion. Susan had set out iced tea, lemonade, and brownies/cookies still warm from the oven--SO perfect after hiking all morning. The house itself was beautiful. I stayed in two separate rooms (I added an extra day to my stay at the last minute) and both were thoughtfully decorated and meticulously cleaned (Prince Albert & Canterbury Court). I have stayed in dozens of hotels and motels in New England and Montreal but never anywhere so clean! The parking lot was a tad small but there was always ample parking on the street even during the height of the busy summer season. The location on High Street was ideal for walking to several local attractions (shops/restaurants on Main St. and Cottage St., the Shore Path, Bar Island Trail, and to the Village Green to hop on an Island Explorer bus) but was still very quiet and pleasant. Several people working in the nearby shops asked me where I was staying; all seemed to know Barry and Susan and only had great things to say about them and their B&B. I really feel they went above and beyond to make their guests feel welcome. Susan was especially helpful in suggesting trails and activities I might like to try. I think my only complaint was the candy. Seriously, there is candy on every available surface in that house and I could not stop eating it--especially those little chocolate covered blueberries they kept leaving on the vanity. I plan to return to the area and will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
innstitches, Owner at Hearthside B&B, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review...we really do appreciate it when our guests take the time to post a review on TripAdvisor...We are glad that you had such a wonderful time here in Bar Harbor and at our B&B. We try and make every guests experience a positive one, we live in a most beautiful part of the US and want people to enjoy their stay visiting this lovely National Park...and I am sorry about all the candy, maybe we should hide it the next time you come...Thank you again!

Been to Hearthside B&B? Share your experiences!