“Hit or miss on beef dishes” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hamburgers, Steakhouse, Pub, Brew Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Newton, Massachusetts
“Hit or miss on beef dishes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Tonight we had two orders of the special, a high grade NY strip steak, and one beef burger. Of the three, my steak, a medium rare, was cooked to perfection and was delicious. My husband's medium steak was a bit on the rare side and my daughter's burger was slightly overdone, although neither sent their meals back. The sides, baked potato and grilled asparagus, were good. I think that at a steak house, you should have some confidence that the meat will be prepared as you request, and this does not seem to be the case at Jack Russell's. But when it's right, it's very good. Because of the inconsistency, I gave it three stars rather than four. I would not have been happy getting a medium rare steak if I ordered medium, not at these prices.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New Jersey
“Very good steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

After almost OD on lobsters, my family decided to have some pub food for dinner and found a nice surprise in Jack Russell. Their staff was very friendly and the food, especially the chowder and the steaks, were very very good. Highly recommended for nice and friendly surroundings and excellent steaks (try the ribeyes).

Visited August 2013
New England
“Filet Mignion So Tender and Cooked to perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were out late one night during the weeks and couldn't believe the hard time we were having finding a place to eat that was open after 9:00 on a Monday night. We actually were refereed from another place.

From the outside it looks like a house, nothing special until you walk through the doors. We were greeted warmly, and asked if it was ok to be seated in the bar area. But I asked if they had any regular chairs. So the took us to another room that had another couple in it. Only then did it dawn on me, that they were cleaning for closing. But our waitress Jocelyn assured us it was ok, and not to worry about it.

She gave us the specials, and then went out to explain that instead of Bread, everyone gets a hot pretzel. I got the Filet Mignon, and my husband got the Chicken Parmesan. By now the other couple left and we had the whole dining room to ourselves. Our food came out promptly, and our waitress was attentive but not annoying. My Filet Mignon could rival any Boston restaurant and is priced accordingly. It was so tender, cooked to a perfect medium and had great flavoring. The Chicken Parmesan was very good and came with the perfect amount of sauce. The prices are right in line for the quality of the food. This was the best restaurant that we had eaten in during our visit to Acadia. When we visit again, This will be our first stop.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tolland, CT
“Not just for locals!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Great service and delicious food! During peak tourist season go early and enjoy being ahead of the crowds.

Visited August 2013
“Omg excellent steak tips au poive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Excellent food- husband had lobster, I had steak tips au poivre.
Absolutely perfect . Their own brown ale was great! Crime brûlée very good. As a classically trained ex- chef I would highly recommend. Atmosphere is dated but service and quality more than make up for it!

• Visited August 2013