“Great setting and view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
New York City, New York
“Great setting and view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Ok it's bar harbor. Things are pricey here. So don't get worked up if the bill is pretty high. Even though it's pretty expensive hotel I wouldhighly recommend it because it actually is great value. The rooms are very clean but contemporary. The view is amazing if you request for ocean view or harbor view even though it cost extra. The hotel is right on the water in downtown bar harbor so shops are minuets away. And there is free cookies, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit and water in the hallways. Overall a very nice stay

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
chris torrey t, General Manager at West Street Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Bob D,

I would like to thank you for such positive feedback regarding your recent stay in Bar Harbor! Feedback such as yours is very much appreciated for our continued success, as we have wonderful views, amenities, and a great location. We constantly strive to provide 100% guest satisfaction regarding value and service and I am pleased to hear that the amenities and property itself provides a great feeling of value for its guests.

We hope that if your return to the Bar Harbor area, the West Street Hotel will be your lodging facility of choice!

Chris Torrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This hotel has the most incompetent front desk I've ever encountered. I was called to confirm my reservation 24 hours in advance, and I made sure to ask whether the room had been paid for already. The reason was because I wanted to cancel, but I was told I could not because I got a special rate for booking early.

When I checked in, they asked for a CC, and I asked again whether it was paid for already. They weren't sure, so they checked. "Yes, that is correct."

They were also having a hard time accommodating the guest parking offered. The lot was full. They could not activate my key card, so they had the valet escort me to my room and leave a temporary card to insert so that the lights would work. They asked me to come back down with the key later that night so they could get a tech guy to sort it out.

We came back down after dinner, and a Russian woman was badgering the girl at the front desk for a room change. The girl said the hotel was fully booked, and she could not do anything that night. Still the conversation persisted for a good 15 minutes when her husband joined in halfway through to try to charm her or whatnot. Meanwhile, I'm standing there locked out of my room.

Now I had just seen this person one hour ago, so she knew what I was waiting for. As soon as the Russians left, she turned her attention to me. I asked if she had reached her tech guy. "Yes, here you go," and she handed me two plastic keys. Could she not have done that at some point during her lengthy talk with the Russians? I'm not the best multitasker in the world, but that would have occurred to me.

No one at this hotel seems to have any concept of time management, though. I saw the front desk repeatedly unmanned during peak traffic hours with phones going unanswered. This happened to us when we checked out.

We had just had lunch at the pub and charged it to our room. So we asked about room charges. The girl at the front desk said, "It says no charge. Look, zero. So, I guess you got free lunch." Everyone knows there is no such thing.

Sure enough, driving home, I get a call asking for another CC to pay for lunch. I asked whether they had charged us again for our stay. The girl had to find a manager. THEY DOUBLE CHARGED US FOR OUR ROOM. We had to call my husband's bank, because they thought his card had been stolen and would not authorize the charge.

Here we are driving past lovely Cape Elizabeth, ME at sunset looking at the iconic lighthouse when this bimbo Pandora unleashed Armageddon. My husband was furious! I didn't hear the end of it the whole drive back to New York.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Medford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a little couples get away. We had a great room for 2 nights overlooking the harbor. The room was comfortable, the deck was as well (although it was over the restaurant so it wasn't quiet when out there), the bathroom shower was really nice to. I found the overall noise loud. When you were in the bathroom you could hear the person in the next room. I could hear the neighbors kids running up and down the hallway laughing. I actually slept with ear plugs in. The beds were extremely comfortable. Although after reading other's reviews regarding the air conditioning (I also agree and didn't know that was the reason) it would have been nice to be able to just run a fan to drown out the noise from the hallway and downstairs restaurant.

The hotel gives you the feeling you are on a cruise ship. The art work is amazing and the feel of the place is also great. They have free laundry (we ended up staying an extra day - so we used it) and its in a walk able location, just park your car and walk. I don't think the hotel has enough parking for all its guests though. We arrived around 4 pm and there were only 5 spots left, if you came later you would be out of luck and I'm not sure what you would do. We always made sure we were back by 4:30.

On our last night there, we decided that we wanted to stay another day and luckily they were able to accommodate us, we were moved to a room on the parking lot side of the hotel and it was just as nice, but we didn't go out on the deck. We just left our bags in our room and they moved them for us.

The pool was freezing, if would be nice if they heated it. I went in only because I booked the place cause they had a adult only pool.

They also have a free of charge beverage station. That also had fruit and cookies (at night). I wouldn't have wanted to be staying right off that station thought, because people would stand there and talk, break ice up etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT near the beverage station.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
chris torrey t, General Manager at West Street Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Kelly B,

Thank you for providing great feedback regarding your recent stay. We have a great location walking, distance to many great restaurants and shops and we are a short drive to Acadia National Park. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the location, the amenities, the décor of the property, and service that our property offers.

All of our guests feedback is taken seriously as we strive to improve on the overall guest experience and would like to thank you for providing feedback regarding the air conditioning unit alternatives, and the noise you encountered during your stay.

We hope that if you return to the Bar Harbor area the West Street Hotel will be your lodging of choice.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

This is in a great location and with the rooftop pool, we were able to enjoy Bar Harbor away from the crowds while sunbathing with a cocktail in hand. Once we were ready to hit the town, it was easy access. The service was always top notch and cleanliness was superb. I think the privacy and luxury feel was worth the cost. This is a busy town during summer season, so it was a nice oasis (if that's what you are looking for). My .5 deduction is minor (if not trite), but the resort fee includes snacks, coffee/tea and waters, which are available 24/7 on every floor. The morning apples and oranges seemed to disappear quickly and the other only snack were cookies set out after dinner, which went super fast. On a fun note, they did have dog treats at the snack station!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DebbieRae,

Thank you for providing wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay at the West Street Hotel, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the exclusivity of our property, and our easy access to the down town area. Our staff works tirelessly to ensure all of our guests requests are met and exceeded, they are grateful for all of the positive comments that they receive, both housekeeping and front desk, I would like to thank you for taking the time to ensure proper credit is given.
We hope that if you return to the Bar Harbor area, we are given the opportunity to welcome you back!

Roanoke, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

First, this place was nice and the location was great but it is not worth the cost. I booked a double room several months in advance and the room I was given was a single. I called the front desk and they walked me to a "double" room which was a king size bed and a fold out couch. I was not too happy to pay what I did to have my two kids sleep on a fold out couch, but that's all they had. My main issue was the air conditioning. My a/c would not cut on even though I cut it down to 69 degrees. I called the front desk and they told me that due to the "sustainability" agreement they made with the city or state (not sure) their a/c would only operate down to upper 70's. I said that the room was too hot so they sent a guy to the room to adjust my thermostat. It was tolerable but I was still warm and humid. The day I left I overheard another couple complaining about their lack of air conditioning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
chris torrey t, General Manager at West Street Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Dear 698robh,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent September stay in Bar Harbor. We appreciate and welcome all of our valued guest’s feedback, such as yours. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not up to the high standards that the guests of The West Street Hotel have come to expect. I would like to personally apologize for the reservation error regarding your stay; I am in hopes that we were able to rectify the situation after your first night stay. In regards to our air conditioning units, I would like to apologize that you were not able to be comfortable with the temperature in your room – we are participating in the going green initiative, unique to many properties in the Bar Harbor area, we are happy to provide alternatives for the guests who are discomforted by this going green initiative.

Should you return to the Bar Harbor area, I hope that you will contact me directly- I am happy to assist!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

The West Street Hotel is a beautiful new hotel in Bar Harbor, ME with gorgeous rooms and even better views. The rates are a little steep, but we found the hotel to be worth the premium. Bar Harbor is a great, little town, as well. Not too many people in early August. Great food at ever turn. Try Rosalie's, This Way Cafe and Thirsty Whale. Acadia National Park by bicycle is alone worth the trip.

Stayed August 2014
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We Happened to call this hotel on the way to bar harbor......We were told that they had a room for us with a kitchenette and 2 double beds. I also asked if they had a swimming pool they said the did have one on the roof top and it was heated. So we booked.....Upon Arrival we were told the pool on the roof top was for 18yrs and older only and since I had my 7 year old with me we had to use the pool across the street. Didn't get the room with the kitchen. Also had to use the coffee machine down the hall everytime I wanted coffee they also told us every evening there would be cookies and chocolate left out . There was not....There was also not room charge while at the pool across the street you had to pay cash every time you ordered. We could not charge anything to our room. They were not Honest with what they told us. Very disappointing.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to West Street Hotel? Share your experiences!