“A+ hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wilmette IL
“A+ hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My family and I stayed for three nights in July. The hotel is in the best location and overlooks the harbor. It is a new hotel. The rooms are very clean, and the design and finishes are world class. The staff is courteous and hard working.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

TIP: Get a Harbor View Room. No breakfast. Guest laundry-ask for detergent and fabric softener sheets at front desk. Reserve an Aero air mattress before arriving if you need one. Get your $20 Acadia Park Pass and map at the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce (2 Cottage Street-just a short walk from the hotel).

West Street is the street to stay on. I was not disappointed with my choice of the West Street Hotel. It is close to everything: shops, restaurants, the famous Sand Bar, boat trips, etc. We had a harbor view room with a deck overlooking the marina. It was great to sit outside with your morning coffee from the Coffee Hound and people watch or later in the evening to listen to Irish music from Paddy’s. Pay the extra money for a harbor view. The nonview rooms overlook the parking lot. Who would want to sit out on these decks in the full sun looking at a parking lot? I did not experience the parking issues that others had. The valet parked my car in the back lot. I did use my car to go out, and never had an issue parking. Breakfast is not included, but that was part of getting to know Bar Harbor: eating at different places for breakfast and dinner. My personal favorite for breakfast was Jordans Restaurant. Most of the mornings I stopped at the Coffee Hound for a fantastic cup of joe followed by a muffin at the new Pink Pastry Shop. The daily resort fee includes the use of a pantry on each floor with water, ice, dog biscuits, morning fruit and evening cookies that has a commercial sized Keurig, but take my recommendation and walk around the corner to the Coffee Hound. You can sit in the park across the street or along the water on a bench and enjoy the view and your coffee. The resort fee also includes the use of the guest laundry on the third floor, parking, and The Bar Harbor Club fitness facilities and Kids Camp. I would use the small gym at the hotel which overlooks West Street. The one in The Bar Harbor Club is dark and without a view. Had they designed it differently, it would have been more appealing. Not so cave like. The pool is a heated lap pool right on the water. This is a lap pool. No lane dividers but it does have the painted pool lanes to help guide you. A hot tub is right by the pool. Pool towels are available. Another way to get to know Bar Harbor is to walk The Museum in the Streets. You can pick up the map at the Chamber of Commerce or in the downstairs lobby of the hotel. This is a historic walking tour with 29 plaques. You can start right outside the hotel and follow the walking tour along Shore Path. It includes Abbe Museum which is a great rainy day activity. Other rainy day activities include: Mount Desert Oceanarium (outside of town) and Dive In Theater with Diver Ed (close by-great for kids).

Room Tip: Harbor view room well worth the extra money.
Granby, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Very push place in the heart of Bar Harbor. Having been to MDI and stayed in Bar Harbor numerous times before this was a pleasant surprise, but unfortunately, I think the height of the season may have caught up with the staff. I have read previous reviews, and saw the signs that say there would be silver and stem ware at the guest pantry as well as evening sweeties (not that I need any), but none were to be found. Also, no milk or creamer for the coffee at the pantry. Now, it didn't ruin my stay, but in a customer service-based business, don't over-promise and under-delivery. Also, I asked for early check-in, understood it might not be available, but gave the woman at the desk my mobile number. Check-in was at 4:00 pm, at 4:05 when I walked up to the desk, I had yet to receive a call. Again, minor, but if you are charging premium prices and want to be thought of as a premier hotel, you need to act like it.

Room Tip: The harbor-view rooms over look West Street which can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lakeville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed for two days with my 7 year old grandson. Staff was very knowledgeable, helpful and professional. We had a room in the front overlooking West St and the bay. Great location, we parked the car in their lot (complimentary) and walked for the three days. The roof top pool was amazing. Room was exceptional and even my grandson said "the shower was the best". We also enjoyed the kitchenette where you have complimentary water, coffee, fruit and cookies.
Had a great time and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My family and i came to the area for a wedding. I had made a reservation at the Ramada in Ellsworth. When we pulled in the lot and walked in the lobby I knew I was in the dog house. My family unleashed their dissapointment on me. I called Expedia back, and every room in the area was booked; with the exception of the West Street Hotel. We booked two adjoining rooms.

When we walked in the lobby I was quickly redeemed of my poor booking decsions by my family. The lobby was modern, the valet staff and front desk were friendly, and worked with me on getting the rooms we wanted; as the expedia reservation still had not gone through.

The rooms were clean, the view was perfect, and we couldnt have veeb ant happier. The restaurant was so great (both the food and service) it was hard to get out and try the other great restaurants.

If you are looking to be pampered, and want first class accomidations, and willing to pay the price you need not look any further than the West Street Hotel.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I had chosen this hotel based on past reviews and I am glad I did! At first I was confused about whether to pick an ocean view or harbor view. I chose an ocean view at first, then changed to a harbor view a few days before the trip (which ended up being less) and I'm glad I did. I requested a high floor away from the elevator and snack area and was given a room in between them on the 4th floor. I had a great view of the harbor from my deck and just had to look to the side to see the ocean through the harbor. I had to close our slider in the middle of the night one night due to noise, but I'm a light sleeper. It was really nice having the fresh air and to be able to feel safe leaving it open.
I loved having water available, but bananas and cookies were gone quite a few times when I looked. I didn't realize cookies got replenished, so that was great when they did. It was a great touch though. I didn't take advantage of using the spa, pool or amenities across the street, so a piece of fruit here and there and a few cookies turned out to be very expensive ;) I think it was all worth it in the end though. The bed and shower were great. Loved having a table in the room (we were exhausted from hiking and brought pizza back to the room on night.) I watched the sunrise from the deck each morning. I would have loved for them to have the roof deck unlocked before the sunrises. I think that is something the hotel should really consider.
They do not have enough parking spaces in their own lot, so one night we needed to park in the public lot behind the hotel which tuned out to be fine since we were going to be moving our car in the late morning anyway.
There is a room on the first floor of the hotel with bike racks. I did see one night they were full, so glad we didn't bring our own bikes and rented them in Bar Harbor (and returned them that day.)
I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I would not want to stay on the parking lot side of the hotel if you want to sit on the balcony, but...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The staff, the beds, the location of the property cannot be better. We arrived for a 4 night stay. Yes, it's not cheap compared to the rest of the area, but you can't go wrong. On each floor they have a small kitchenette area where you can grab unlimited bottles of water, coffee, and tea. They even offer cookies and fruit. There is a $25 a day per room, but this also includes comp internet as well. Spend the few extra bucks. So worth it.

Room Tip: For a few extra dollars you can have a room with a great view, otherwise you will be looking at a pa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to West Street Hotel? Share your experiences!