“Wonderful Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
San Diego
“Wonderful Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I joined friends for a special gathering and this location was excellent. Our group had all ages, from little ones to young grandparents.

The rooms were clean, the staff was extremely helpful, the breakfast buffet was well worth the price, and the indoor pool was the best! I LOVED that the hotel uses fitted contour sheets on the beds!

My only disappointment that on two days of our nearly week long stay, there was a smoke smell in our non-smoking room, that we attributed to the housekeeping staff. But with the door to the balcony open and the ceiling fan on low, it cleared without difficulty.

I would heartily recommend this location to anyone without any hesitation.
Ann
San Diego

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Long Island, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

I had intended on spending a 3 night weekend in July 2009. I have been to Bar Harbor previously, stayed at their sister hotel "The Bar Harbor Inn". I booked the "Oceanside Spa Package" billed as an all inclusive couples package. It was to include the room for 3 nights, breakfast each day, 2 dinners, 2 spa treatments, a massage and choice of spa pedicure or manicure. Thank God ,I called and asked about the spa package before making the 10 hr drvie up from NYC. Apparently in this all inclusive spa package, only one person out of the couple get a massage! I can just imagine my husband and I fighting over which one of us, do we toss a coin? I spoke to several staff who even agreed the add is deceptive, after 2 days of wrangling over this issue, I decided to call the manager back and cancel and I got the "owner" who answered the phone . I truly didn't even want to go into it again at that point, she was certainly in need of lessons on how to handle an irate caller, because after being told for 2 days by staff they were sorry but the "Inner Keepers" said the website was clear and they weren't going to change it for me, I told her exactly what I thought! She talked down to me, then backed down and tried to offer me what I felt the web site package implied I'd be entitled to, however with that kind of struggle I canceled the reservation and insisted on a full refund. She even had the audacity to spell the word owner when I asked her name and she spelled out her first and last name and added scarcasticly owner and spelled that out too! Not a place I'd want to stay at with that kind of attitude toward a potential customer. One thing, they changed the wording of their website so some other poor sucker won't fall into the trap. As for me, I'm heading south to VA, a more friendly atmosphere, and Bar Harbor will remain just a good memory.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We reserved and confirmed a King room for a business trip, and didnt' get it, even through the hotel is far from full this time of year. The staff was not interested in this oversight of theirs. Friends of ours who also came along on this trip got some kind of basement room. As mentioned by other reviewers, the continental breakfast is dismal. Wireless is only available in some rooms. Just a note unrelated to this particular hotel --- most cell phones have very poor to no reception in this area.

No doubt, Bar Harbor is expensive in general, but there are much nicer places on the Island to stay, with better access to a decent breakfast. The Bar Harbor Inn, for example, isn't much more expensive and is 100% better --- better rooms, better breakfast, better location.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

This room had everything we needed. It had a balcony looking out into the harbor and that is the best part of this room and location. You could see small boats, islands and the ferries going to Nova Scotia. We had 5 people in this room (including 2 teens) so we had a cot and there was plenty of room. There was a mini refrigerator in room which helped with drinks and snacks. The bathroom was good sized and sink was separate from shower so more than one can get ready at a time. Also a closet for luggage. There was a breakfast buffet that was not fancy, but had good food was convenient with indoor or outdoor seating. There was a small bar with outdoor seating for a cocktail! Grounds of property are really nice. A shuttle stops at this hotel and we waited a while for it but it dropped us off on the main street in town. It is about half way between town and Acadia park entrance and we did both so worked out well. The staff was helpful with whatever we asked. Hallways, carpeting etc. could use updating. Not a high end hotel but definately a good deal for the price we paid because of view, amenities and location.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Glasgow Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

On a driving tour of New England, my wife and I spent two nights here in early September. The room was spacious, and very clean, the view from the window and balcony was fabulous.

There is no Restaurant, but the choice in town is great.

This is a fabulous destination, and we truly look forward to coming back

• Liked — The quiet environment
  • Disliked — Nothing I can report on
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

Old, worn out, moldy, needs complete rebuild.
Breakfast buffet was horrible.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Overal Condition
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

Based on the website photos I had high hopes for the Atlantic Oaks. We were very disappointed once we arrived. I was expecting a high end resort and checked in to an old, dated, mish mash of buildings. It looked like they had bought all of the surrounding motel properties and left them in their original condition. I'm not sure where some of the photos on their website were taken. The breakfast "buffet" looked like cafeteria food and I'm grateful we passed on it. I would not recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center? Share your experiences!