“Still a great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Leominster, Massachusetts
“Still a great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

We've been going to a Bar Harbor for a few years now and we stay here every year. We love the newer building. You can't beat the view. Other than the old ferry station, every room has a beautiful view on the water. This visit we noticed the beds were uncomfortable. Perhaps the new building could use some sprucing up. It is about a Mike from down town but the bus stops on the property. The Island Explorer is the best way to get around the island.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Tony B, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear Lisa N,

Thank you for staying with us at the Atlantic Oceanside hotel and for the review on TA. I just moved up here this season and lived in the Atlantic View building for over a month and must say that I really enjoyed the views also.

Each year we reinvest in our property and right now I am in the middle of planning those projects so I will definitely look into the beds in that building.

I hope that you will return next season and please ask for me as I would like to say Hi.

All my best,

Tony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Northampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay for a long weekend family vacation. Our room had amazing ocean views enjoyed from our balcony. The room was large enough and included a small sitting room, decent sized fridge and microwave. Kids enjoyed the pools esp. the outdoor pool which had complimentary drinks. The continental breakfast was extensive with lots of choices. We did see some areas that could use a little TLC -bathroom window didn't open, most of the doors had a window/screen but our didn't open. The indoor pool area and carpet leading to it and the breakfast area are worn/dirty. The maintenance staff was very helpful in assisting with a minor car repair and the staff overall was helpful and friendly. We would likely return to this hotel for a future visit.

Room Tip: there are several buildings on the complex and there is some walking involved to reach the main buil...
Greetings Twin pines,

I appreciate you taking the time to write this nice review and I do hope that you will return again. Because this property is very special to the Witham family, each Winter we do extensive maintenance projects and renovations. So again thank you for your suggestions.

All my best,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stayed here for only one night and wish we could've stayed longer! First off, Brittany at the front desk was amazingly professional, friendly and very helpful with finding us a beautiful room.
We stayed in a newly renovated room on the 4th floor and it was clean, modern and had a nice oceanfront balcony to comfortably sit two or three people.
Both indoor and outdoor pools are saltwater which was a huge plus for me! They have coolers with complimentary sodas and waters by the pool which was also a pleasant surprise on a hot day!
Overall very clean property with great staff all around.
Will be recommending this property to friends and family!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Tony B, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Baileylv,

Thank you very much for this terrific review of our hotel! I have only been here at the GM for a few months and I really appreciate you taking the time to note all the nice things that the Atlantic Oceanside has to offer. I hope you will come back and visit us again in the future.

Best regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

I need to be honest in saying that I was disappointed with this motel during our recent stay. We arrived at check in time and were told that our room was not ready, but would be in 20 minutes. Thirty minutes later I finally asked what was happening as our room still was not ready and asked if there was anything else available to move into, but did not get very much assistance. Soon a maid came with our keys and told us we could go ahead and go to our room until the room was finished. We unloaded, but had to set our bags outside the room and stood outside as we could not go inside with the maid still inside. A full 50 minutes after check in, we finally gained access to our room. Seem as though in her haste to finish the job, our room wasn't as clean as it should have been.

The building we stayed in was really beginning to show its age too. We had stayed here two years ago, and I don't believe that anything had changed in the way of improvements. I know other building have been renovated, so find out before you book your stay.

To be fair, I did contact the GM of this property upon returning home. He was extremely apologetic and did give us a partial refund of what we had paid, along with the offer to give us a reduced rate in the future. Just know that he did do a great job apologizing for what had happened. I know that things happen, but I have never had to wait this long to check into any other motel. If the staff had been completely honest with me from the beginning and told me how long the wait would actually be, I may not have gotten as upset as I did. We would have had the option to go do something else while we waited! Wasted an hour of our vacation time just waiting!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Linda C,

I am sorry that your room was not ready for you when you arrived. So far this season our housekeeping staff has done a great job with cleaning and getting rooms ready for our guests to check in to and often many times they are ready early.

In your case I do believe that our front desk staff dropped the ball with regards to communication and for that I am sorry. I am working hard to make guest service the number one priority at my hotel.

I know that you will be returning in the future and that you will contact me directly. it will be my pleasure to make sure your return visit is special,

all my best,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

My husband and I just came back from a weekend stay at Atlantic Oceanside and we were very pleased with our room. The view was just spectacular and so serene that you were left to your thoughts. Breakfast was good. I would go back. I wasn't aware about the shuttle into town until I read someone else's review, I would have liked that better than taking my car. Perhaps when people check in people at the desk can mention that.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Matia26,

Thank you for staying with us at the Atlantic Oceanside hotel and for you comments on TripAdvisor. We will work harder to make sure that all of our front desk agents point out the benefits of using the Island shuttle as it is a great service to our guests.

Again thanks for your kind review and we hope to see you again!

Clarksville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

We bought a balcony ocean view but we had a patio ocean view which wasn't satisfying.The Oceanside was beautiful and we loved the nature cruise but the privacy,bedding,wifi and pool were awful but the bathroom was clean.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Iris Z,

I am sorry that you were not happy with your accommodations and that this was not resolved while you were here. I would be more than happy to speak with you if you would not mind contacting me directly at 207-288-5801 x1311.

We have 2 pool both indoor and outdoor and 2 hot tubs and I have not had any complaints on them this season. We recently upgraded our internet and WiFi property wide to allow guests access to more band width.

Again I apologize for your issues and hope that you will return.

Edina, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Our daughter arrived at this hotel a day prior to my wife and me. When I asked her what the hotel was like, she replied that it was "okay" and that pretty much sums up my thoughts. The rooms are fine (we had 4209 & 4210) -- they were clean and comfortable, but were a bit worn. The property is not very interesting. While it is on the water, the adjacent property is very ugly and the waterfront is not very nice. The included breakfast was not worth the calories so we instead ventured into town and paid for breakfast at Jeannie's, which was quite good. The hotel is close to Bar Harbor (about a mile walk to the town) but not where the action is. The outdoor pool was freezing in August and the hot tub was not hot or even warm. The room keys are electronic cards and if you lose one it will cost you ... I seem to recall the fee is $15.

In summary, we saw a lot of what appeared to be nicer hotels in downtown Bar Harbor that were closer to the action and had better waterfront vistas. My advice would be to investigate those before committing to the Atlantic Oceanside.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center? Share your experiences!