“Nice hotel with great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   119 Eden Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Chisholm, Minnesota
“Nice hotel with great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights recently. It was a nice place with excellent front desk service.
Room was neat, new, and clean (we were in Atlantic View Lodge). The beds were very comfortable. The view on the balcony was wonderful!!
Breakfast had okay food, nothing special to speak of. The location of the breakfast area was to say the least--quite odd. You go DOWNSTAIRS for breakfast. The main building where the breakfast area was seemed a bit outdated.
Very nice place and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Atlantic View a Lodge on the middle or top floors. Beautiful views!
Green Features: They had a garbage can designated for recyclables.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Tony B, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Greetings Mitchell G,

Thank you for staying with us at the Atlantic Oceanside hotel and I am so glad that you took the time to write this review. If you return to Bar Harbor I hope that you will stay with us again!

All my best,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Family of four stayed two nights in July in the newest part of the complex. Room was average with spacious bathroom and small balcony. The best thing about this property is the fantastic view onto Frenchmans Bay and access to the small stony beach. Outdoor swimming pool and hot tub were great. Free continental breakfast was excellent with fresh fruit,cereal,toast, bagels etc sitting outside on the terrace with that great view again! I could mention the queue for check in due to there being only one member of staff on duty and the subsequent discussion that ensued between staff members when someone else showed up, or the annoying rustling noise whenever you moved in bed, but this would be nit-picking and you can forgive a lot when you have that view!

Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This is a nice vacation location with a typical Maine beach all its own. Most of the rooms have an excellent ocean view, and the swimming pool seems popular. If you are a vacationing family, this is a pretty good hotel to stay at, a short (though very slow and crowded) ride from town. A restaurant, the Jack Russell, is just across the road and will not disappoint. Should you seek other pleasures, hie thee to the main drag into town, turn left on Cottage, park anywhere you can, and saunter down until you reach the Cottage Pub on your right. Enjoy a Corpse Reviver or perhaps a glass of excellent Pinotage, then saunter across the road to the Finback and prepare to be amazed by their scallop and pork belly appetizer, a stunning dialog of tastes on a bed of greens and corn.

Rooms are spacious and well-maintained, bathrooms likewise, with stone counters. (Not things that count stones, but counters made of stone.) In-room coffee is humdrum but recognizably coffee. The clock radio, which I don't always use, but when I use it, I leave it tuned to PBS, has the audio quality of a child's walkie-talkie.

Walls are thin. Floors are thin. I tried to get a top floor room by calling ahead but was told they were not available. (How is it that hotels don't understand that if someone calls in a room preference like that, they do so for a good reason, and things will not go well for anyone if their preference is ignored?) The first night I was there, I got all of three hours of sleep because the rampaging heffalumps above me were continuously active. The next morning, I informed the manager that I would be forced to check out and find another hotel unless I could be relocated to a top floor room. He was very helpful; I left my bag packed in my room and it was transferred to a suitable room later that day, after which noise was no longer an issue. You might not find such noises troubling, so this might not apply to you.

Breakfast is of the marginally augmented continental persuasion, a series of refined carb foibles and heavily processed fats or carbs to smear them with, better coffee than in the rooms, sliced melons starring as sliced fruit (what, no real fruit like blueberries and strawberries? OK, those aren't fruit, but you get the picture). Some whole apples (though remarkably tasteless and thick skinned ones) plus bananas made it more bearable. You want something more interesting, you pay.

All this is adequate and might merit four stars, mostly for the view, if I were paying, oh, $100 or $150. Maybe $170 at a pinch. But no, the room rates are over $250 a night. Ouch. Overall, the experience (thin ceilings, blah breakfast, etc.) didn't measure up to the cost, so minus a star, though I do understand it was peak season and I suppose that's what the market will bear. Perhaps I am jaundiced because I was not on holiday. Hence my low tolerance for sleep loss and holiday pricing.

I am writing this paragraph in the lobby on my trusty iPad while waiting for an airline check-in page to load. In fact, it started loading a minute before I started writing. It is still loading. This is symptomatic of the wifi here; it is free, so it has that going for it, which is nice, but it is almost unusably s l o o o o o w. That page still hasn't loaded. Finally it has! And I was writing slowly.

This means that for most business users, the wifi might as well not exist. Even vacationers need wifi. Coupled with very poor coverage from major cell carriers in the Bar Harbor area, and thus spotty to nonexistent ability to generate a local hotspot, this is a major, major setback and cost them a star. Upgrading to a more professional system should be a no-brainer. It would be among the upgrades that might bring the overall experience into a closer match with the pricing. I raise them from two to three stars in recognition of this potential, which I counsel them to explore.

Room Tip: Unless you are deaf or immune to noise pollution from heavy hyperactive upper neighbors, try to get...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Very well maintained resort with rooms for every taste. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Close to everything. I highly recommend room 813 in Willows building. Old world charm and beauty with modern comfort. Can not wait to go back. Hotel has complimentary breakfast and wi fi. Close to the Acadia park entrance.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings Laserza,

Thank you for the review on TA and for the nice comments on our beautiful Willows Mansion.
I also love room 813 and I sincerely hope that you will return soon.

All my best,
Carmel, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Overall, enjoyed our stay. Very clean, comfortable, modern amenities. Our room in bldg. 4 faced the water and had a great view. Saw a gorgeous sunrise. Pool was a short walk from our room but we did not stay in it for long due to the clumps of hair we saw in it. Breakfast was included in the price, and was a very nice spread. The gentleman server, was a super friendly guy and we appreciated our conversation with him on our last day.

Room Tip: Building 4 close to the pool. Ask for water view.
Green Features: We appreciated their environmentally-friendly practices. We participated in their towel re-use practice as we were only there for two nights.
Greetings Lovedmyvacation,

Thank you for staying with us at the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel. I have not seen any complaints on the pool lately but I have asked them to make sure it is checked several time per day.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your breakfast and conversation with Wade, he is our number one guest service ambassador.

I hope you will chose to return again.

Raymond
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

We had high expectations, not only because of all the great reviews but also because of what we spent on the reservation. We were greatly disappointed. The office staff was just so-so and not very welcoming or informative. The room was clean with no major maintenance issues we could see. We paid extra to be on the top floor with a view, but our view was obstructed by a huge tree. Our room was noisy - it was at the top of the stairs and our neighbors were very loud. The bed was extremely uncomfortable - again, I would have expected better for the price. All in all, not worth the money and the hype. Lesson learned.

• Stayed August 2014
Tony B, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear Raymond,

I am so sorry that our front desk staff did not make you feel that you were a valued guest. Since I started here 2 months ago I have been working with all of our staff to make sure that they understand how important it is to provide excellent service.

I have spent many hours at the front desk working with our team to help guests make restaurant reservations and provide information on how best to enjoy the park.

Again i'm sorry that we disappointed you.

Blackstone, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Atlantic Oceanside provides a beautiful view of Frenchman's Bay that can be seen from the privacy of your own veranda, or the deck from the main building. Onsite transportation to and from Bar Harbor is a wonderful convenience. Rooms were clean, staff friendly and helpful. The beds were not very comfortable. Breakfast on the deck was a treat with a good variety of food choices, but anything beyond a typical 'continental breakfast' is an additional cost. An added bonus is that the Atlantic Oceanside is home to the Acadian Nature cruise, which I highly recommend.

Dear Tammy L.

Thank you for staying with us at the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel. I am so sorry that you felt that your bed was uncomfortable. This comment concerns me as we have new beds in most of our property.

I am glad that you enjoyed a cruse on one of Captain Gary's boats and our great views of Frenchman's bay.

I hope that you will return to Bar Harbor and choose to stay at the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel.

Regards,

Tony

Been to Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center? Share your experiences!