“Very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Willows in July 2013 and I booked it going on the reviews of others. We were really looking forward to our trip as we were celebrating our 40th anniversary. We were very disappointed. Upon arriving, we had to literally push with a lot of force to get our door open. We told management about it and they said it was an old building. My husband is a contractor and knew this could easily have been fixed, which started us out on a negative note. We did have a beautiful view on the balcony but only had one very small, worn out love seat to sit on. We stayed there for six nights. The final blow was on the last day when we got back to our room and had no bath towels, only hand towels and wash cloths had been left. I had put a bath towel in the one drawer before we left so that we wold have an extra clean one. When my husband called the front desk they said they wold be right up, 25 minutes later we were still waiting and called back. We were told that they had a shortage of bath towels. 5 minutes later they called back and said" why don't you use the towel in your drawer ?" We were livid when we found out that they were looking in the drawers where our clothing and my jewelry were kept! My husband went straight to the office and asked for the manager... No apologies were given... He stated that the building was old and that is how they check for bugs! Needless to say, we will not be returning nor would we refer it to anyone!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_AOH, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write us about your stay in the way the Willows. The Willow's is celebrating its 100 birthday this year, and we do have a problem when it is humid with the doors sticking, please accept my sincere apology for this and I apologize if our staff did a poor job of explaining why the doors stick.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding about your towels also, because of the shortage of closet space in the Willows, we store extra towels in the dresser drawers for our guests and this is what the guest service agent was a referring to. We also do wipe down all empty dresser drawers, but do not touch any drawers that have guest’s items in them.

Our Willows B & B is one of most popular lodging options on our property as you can see from the reviews on tripadvisor, and I sorry that this experience caused you to have a bad experience, I will be refunding a portion of your stay back to your credit card once I review your account, and again I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Our goal is 100 % guest satisfaction and that is a goal we failed to make with you and will work harder every day to make sure it does not happen again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

From the minute we got there until we left everything was wonderful! We had a beautiful room in the willows. We loved the antique feel of the room. The staff couldn't have been any better. Everyone went a step above to make sure we had anything we needed. I was so surprised to see that there was gluten free bread and a designated toaster. That is a first for me. There is nothing negative I could say about anything. The desk staff were very helpful about the local attractions. They supplied me with maps and information. Kudos to all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the willows.
Council Bluffs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I (from Iowa) were traveling with my parents (from Texas and in their mid 70's) and had two separate rooms. We were ALL very pleased with our stay. We each had a room with a balcony and view of the bay. We sat outside on our balcony with my folks (it easily accommodated the 4 of us) after a crazy day of sight-seeing, and enjoyed local cheese and a bottle of wine that we had purchased earlier in the day. The room was very comfortable and the beds were nice and firm. We also enjoyed a wonderful complimentary breakfast the next morning that rivaled most restaurant breakfasts! The ladies tending to the breakfast room were very helpful and ready with refills or to clear plates. "Wade" was also an attendant for the breakfast room and circled the area with a smile and shared information on the area. He was wonderful! We were all very impressed with this hotel and will definitely come back for another stay!

Room Tip: Make sure to reserve a room with a view and balcony!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Silsbee, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were here 2 nights in the Willows Building. When we entered our room there was a swan towel sculpture on the bed.
The view was beautiful. The rooms were quiet. We never heard any doors or people.
My husband was sick the second day & I left to get him so meds. I told the housekeeper (Cecilia) that he was still in the room & wasn't feeling well. (Yes, I put the do not disturb sign out). When I returned, Cecilia had left us a basket with clean towels, toiletries & a sweet note stating she he'd he felt better.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here with a nature conference and everyone on the staff went out of their way to reach our needs. From the wonderful rooms to the excellent food, this hotel is first rate!
Our room faced a beautiful view of the water, which we could enjoy from the small porch off our room. The dining room staff was helpful at all times and all staff was flexible with our conference schedule.

Room Tip: I had a room in the Atlantic Oceanside Lodge, facing the water, with a porch. It was quiet, and the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stopped here on our way to New Brunswick. Wish we could have stayed longer than our one night. What a nice relaxing place! Just what we needed at the time. The view of the water from our balcony was beautiful. Clean, comfortable resort. The complimentary breakfast was delicious. I was so happy to see the gluten free muffins and bread, the fruit was fresh and varied. Couldn't have asked for more.

Room Tip: We used a Hotels coupon book from the Welcome Center. Rate was unbelieveable for what we got. Our...
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed six nights at Oceanside for the Family Nature Summit. Everything was great. The food was good and staff was friendly and helpful. Thank you. Oceanside is easy access to Acadia Park as well as the ocean. Madison WI

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center? Share your experiences!