“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 60 Activities in Bar Harbor
Type: Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering 3 & 1/2 hour Puffins, Lighthouses and Seabirds trip, leaving daily at 1:15 p.m. from Bar Harbor, Maine. Explore the highlights of our beautiful coast including Winter Harbor, Petit Manan and Egg Rock Lighthouses. Birds seen on this tour include: puffins, razorbills, murres, guillemots, shearwaters, terns, gulls, jaegers, various raptors, ducks, geese and waders. This trip includes extended viewing of Petit Manan Lighthouse, one of only seven islands in Maine where Atlantic Puffins nest.
Massillon, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

It was a beautiful July afternoon and when my husband a I showed up for the tour, we noticed the parking lot was almost empty! For some unknown reason the tour was cancelled. We planned our entire day around this tour and it would have been nice if they could have at least called us to let us know the tour was cancelled. (They had our cell phone number!) Instead they tried to put us on another tour that we had no interest in just to fill up their boat. Some may call this practice 'bait & switch'

Visited July 2013
Captain Gary F, Owner at Islander Puffins, Seabirds & Lighthouses Tour, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback. We appreciate when customers take the time to write about their experience with our company. It is difficult to respond as you didn't actually go on the tour - though I do understand your frustration on the trip being cancelled. I can assure you if the captain cancelled this offshore trip - he would have done so for one reason only - the safety of our passengers. When offshore sea conditions become too rough, even though it looks beautiful in the bay - he chooses safety and security of our passengers above everything. You are correct - we did have your cell number - unfortunately our employee failed to leave a message when he tried to call. We have since discussed this with all employees so extra effort is made when contacting people.
We do offer our other inshore trip when a tour is cancelled as a convenience to our passengers - giving them at least an alternative to get out on the water. Because this other tour does not go out into open ocean, it has a better chance of going even when the weather is 'iffy'.
Please note we are a small independent company with a goal of customer satisfaction. We certainly understand how precious vacation hours are and we certainly would have been happy to talk with you while you were in Bar Harbor and perhaps been able to offer some other alternatives. Again we thank you for taking the time to write and do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in our area.

Providence, Rhode Island, United States
“A nice surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I bought tickets during our recent trip to Maine. This was one of the highlights of our trip. We were surprised at the number of birds (including bald eagles, razorback, and especially puffins) and other wildlife (the harbor seals were lazy but cute). It was great opportunity to capture some nice pictures. While the trip out was abit chilly at times, that could be easily cured were a fleece or two. The naturalist on the boat was very kind and knowledgable about the local birds and wildlife. She was also very receptive to all kinds of questions. The boat trip was worth it.

Visited July 2013
Edgewood, Kentucky
3 attraction reviews
“"Sea" nature galore experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I researched many Puffin Tours companies prior to our trip early this month to Bar Harbor. This tour was a highlight of our Acadia National Park vacation! The staff was very friendly and informative. I have only seen Puffins behind glass at our local zoo and was excited that I may get to photograph them in the wild. I was NOT disappointed!!!! Hundreds of Puffins, many of which would come right up to the boat. Eagles and seals were a bonus. The Islander is a smaller boat, but very sea worthy. We were warned to dress warmly. Please heed this advice. Expect 25 degrees less on the water as the ocean there is rarely above 55 degrees. The Islander staff offered blankets to those who did not come prepared. The lighthouses photographed very well too. Oh, and don't forget the Osprey nest on the channel marker. AWESOME! I would highly recommend this tour for wildlife and scenic landscape photography.

Visited June 2013
Captain Gary F, Owner at Islander Puffins, Seabirds & Lighthouses Tour, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and kind words. And also - for sharing your amazing photos! Looks like you had a great time - that makes us very happy! The wildlife has been excellent this season - which helps make this puffin trip fun.
Bar Harbor
“Puffins Seals and Lighthouses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We've been waiting for a nice weather forecast on a day off and today was finally it. I was so happy to see the puffins! It was hotter than blazes on shore, but we were very happy to have our sweatshirts once we got offshore. The ride to Petit Manan Island is pretty far but very interesting and our guide was informative. Lots of seals on Little Egg Island, looking all fat and happy basking in the sun. We also saw a minke whale, eagles, terns and gulls...all in all a very nice afternoon. I was very pleased with this activity.

Visited June 2013
“Travelers from the South”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I, along with my grandfather took the puffin your and it was B-O-R-I-N-G!!! I was absolutely excited to go on this trip as I paid one hundred (discounted) dollars thinking it would be WELL worth the money. Over 3.5 hours we saw 2 lighthouses for less than 10 mins each and the third for less than 20 mins because it had the puffins on the island. Do the math. That's only 40 mins worth of sightseeing with nearly 3 hrs of riding on a boat. The staff was amazing and one man played a flute VERY well. Otherwise I took a nap on the ship and sat on the very uncomfortable seats. Overall, a HUGE waste of money. We basically paid the captain to joy ride in his boat. I would NEVER waste the money to do this poor excuse for a tour again. Plus it was FREEZING outside the ship and I was soaked from the spray.

Visited June 2013
Captain Gary F, Owner at Islander Puffins, Seabirds & Lighthouses Tour, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
We're sorry this tour was not to your liking...the hour long trip to the puffins is not for everyone. Typically between lighthouses and Schoodic Penisula we do see many different types of offshore birds, islands and other wildlife and scenery. We do hope you enjoyed the puffins and lighthouses during your tour - and our naturalist appreciated your comment on his flute playing! Thank you for your feedback, it is always appreciated when passengers take the time to give their thoughts.