“Great theater! Art deco to the max!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 19 Attractions in Bar Harbor
Bethesda, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
“Great theater! Art deco to the max!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I recommend paying up for the bacony seating in this wonderful art deco theater. Worth every penny. Great spot to take the kids.

Visited September 2011

Willow, Alaska
16 attraction reviews
“Hope it reopens soon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

It's been a while but seeing movies in this old theater was great. Balcony seats for the extra buck were great and the whole experience took you back in time!

Surry, Maine
38 attraction reviews
“Criterion Theatre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Good fun to come here to a performance of your choice.

Marietta, Georgia
48 attraction reviews
“A Snapshot in Time... A Historic Must See Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Being that it was raining in a very outdoorsy town, I was looking for something to do. An old theater in town was showing a documentary… not exactly whoop-de-doo for my two young children, but there wasn’t a heck of a lot else going on, so we tried it. The movie not so entertaining… The movie-house – The Criterion -- what a jewel of the past. The boys had fun up in the balcony – the theater wasn’t crowded, so we had room to move around. Plus our seats had a table, and they could play with their toys, while I attempted to watch the movie. Finally bored enough by the film, we started wandering about and one of the gentlemen who manages the place showed us around. First of all, everything in there is original. For a history and/or architecture buff (of which I am both), I was in heaven. Not to mention, it was so lovely that the gentlemen who run the place took the time to give us a tour and showed us details (including backstage) which I will never forget. Does the place need work? Absolutely – they need money, and anyone who sets foot in the door should be heralding this treasure, because it could be in danger of being lost. Make no mistake, this is a historic treasure. To see all the Art-Deco details in their original state is amazing. Original movie posters on the wall… Even if you don’t stay for a movie – visit and pay just to wander around.

Visited June 2011
NH / VT
6 attraction reviews
“I TO, HAD HEALTH ISSUES - BUT OH HOW I WANTED TO LIKE THIS THEATER....."”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have been to the Criterion each year I go to Bar Harbor for vacation, or a summer course at the College Of The Atlantic - but last year (2009) and this one have caused me to re-think entering the building.

This beautiful, old, art deco theater is heavily infested with mold and mildew. Its smell now overwhelms you as you enter the theater. The ventilation inside is poor - the large ventilation grill near stage left of the theater is covered with a plastic tarp. Following each visit, my wife and I left the theater with dry throats, parched mouths, and more distressingly, headaches. This past week my wife had a severe headache, and remarked that she could not step foot in the theater again. I won't either.

The guys who have tried to keep this old jewel afloat have made a commendable effort, But at this point, its only fair, albeit sad, to point out that the Criterion is a health hazard and should be closed until the moisture/mildew problem is taken care of.