“Great customer service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wonder View Inn

You added Wonder View Inn to your Saves list
Wonder View Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Eden Street, PO Box 25, Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island, ME 04609   |
Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Hudson River Valley, New York
“Great customer service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

If you are planning on staying at this inn, you're better off spending the extra money and getting one of their more expensive rooms. We stayed in a room with no view, thinking we'd save $$ and still have a decent room. Wrong. The room needed plenty of TLC and the walls are paper thin. We had an issue with noisy neighbors and the management of this hotel handled the situation wonderfully. They moved us to an upgraded room ( this is how I know those rooms are so much nicer) and were very accommodating. It was the customer service at this inn that kept me from giving a poor rating, although I would have been much happier if we were in one of the nicer rooms from the beginning. Another issue I had was that their pool is not heated like advertised, it was freezing!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thank you also for your compliments to our great staff for their customer service. While I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your first room, I am very happy to hear that we were able to meet your expectations in the long run. We are very proud of our property and have a very diverse array of options to suit most any need or budget .

I hope that you were able to enjoy some of the other amenities on the property such as the Looking Glass Restaurant and the Eden Spa. You must have been here just as we were closing the Wonder View pool for the season which we did on Labor Day. Our Wonder View guests are now using the pool at the Bluenose, our sister property, but the heat in that pool has indeed been turned off as of Labor Day as well.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of serving you again and appreciate that you chose us for your stay in Bar Harbor.

Jim Ash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

The only reason I gave this hotel an average rating is because it is clean. We stayed near the hotel office, down the hill from the Looking Glass Hotel and although we had a small balcony overlooking the grounds the room itself was quite shabby. The walls are extremely thin as are the doors. It truly needs some TLC. There is a shuttle bus which stops right outside the hotel office--which was very close to a room so that was convenient. Also, the staff is extremely friendly at the hotel (special mention to Rob who had a great sense of humor and was very helpful to us (we were four couples traveling together from a Naval Reunion in Boston). BTW, the staff at the Looking Glass Hotel were extremely rude and arrogant--will review that restaurant separately. Overall, would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Perhaps upgrading to there top level would improve the stay somewhat.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you were not entirely pleased with our facility. I do appreciate however, that you noticed the many conveniences we provide and the top notch customer service that our staff provides.

We do have some older buildings and rooms on our property and address a block at a time each season for renovations. We price our facility according to the quality and location of rooms so please call me directly for help in making future bookings with us.

I am also sorry that your experience at the Looking Glass was not a good one. I assure you that I will do everything I can to learn about your experience so that we can correct it for our future guests.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

The rooms have fridge, air conditioning. Easy parking. A 10 minute walk to Bar harbor. But the bus stops there regularly if you want to go in without walking. The courtyard is lively with remains of old brick walls. Sometimes I've seen deer walk into the manicured lawn. Very lovely. Currently free breakfasts but you can also walk up to the looking glass restraunt on the property which has great views ( as do the higher rooms that have sea view rooms but ask exactly what view. You can walk over to the sister property blue nose at night to listen to live piano music. l ended up spending time just enjoying the property. It is pet Freindly and one day a dog barking woke us up.

• Stayed August 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

There is no "wonder" view. :( It was disappointing to open our nice big window and see all trees! Not even a glimpse through the trees.

The stay and people were very nice! The rooms are very dated but clean. Nice short walk to Bar Harbor!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the view from your room. The growth of forrest over the years has changed some of the views from certain parts of the property. Since it sounds like you enjoyed our hotel overall, I hope that you will consider staying with us again sometime. Just let our reservations desk know that you want to be able to see the ocean and we will do our best to accomodate.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Why do we stay at Wonderview year after year? Primarily because of good memories and a great location. Since I know what rooms to ask for, I know where there are still views that encompass not just trees, but also Frenchman's Bay.
As others have noted, the rooms need significant updating to merit their cost. The furniture in our room has about three seasons to go before being called shabby, but the 20" tube TV does have a working remote! My favorite thing to do at Wonderview is to sit on the little balcony and read. I do wish there were better chairs. The dirt-cheap plastic ones are uncomfortable.
The staff was very friendly this year. They added a continental breakfast. Unfortunately, it is not at all well laid out, and the food is sub-par. That could easily be remedied. Here's the thing...I will very likely stay there again next summer, but will enjoy it more if they can bring the quality of the rooms up just a bit to make it the good value it once was.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper levels.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
I want to thank you for taking the time to write this review. I would also like to assure you that we are eager as you suggest to make the changes you have identified. Over the past few years we have made some major repairs to the property that are not visible on the surface, such as roofing and internal systems. Please hang in there with us as one who shares great memories here. We want to tackle the changes you are mentioning too.

Marlborough, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

There wasn't necessarily anything wrong with this property, except the price! I am not the type of girl who requires 5 star accommodations. HOWEVER, when booking a hotel that is double the price of some of the rooms/cottages in the area I anticipated something more.

The room was small and dated, which would have been fine but the price did NOT reflect this. The treats for our dog were sweet, and much appreciated, but while they had been advised of his attendance on our trip several times, they were still shocked when we arrived with him. They had to scramble to accommodate him which was worrisome since we were 5 hours from home!

The promised and advertised heated pool was not heated (and we found out at CHECK OUT had not been since early in the season though it was touted all over the web site) when we addressed this first with the front desk, and then with manager Jim Ash, our complaint was very poorly received. We were finally told to "just go to the other pool" at their sister property just across the way.

Again, we weren't looking for the taj mahal, but the "inn" was a dated motel at best, our room was damp and our balcony in one of the courtyard rooms not only viewed the grounds but each and every balcony of the other rooms, some directly attached to ours- not private at all! The free wifi was so slow I would have rather had the option to pay for wired in room internet for faster speed.

The location was great, very close to town, acadia and the road to head back home. The area is beautiful, dog friendly and an amazing place to go for vacation (especially with a dog- they can go just about everywhere with you!!) but next year we will either look into a less expensive property (where a small motel room with dated amenities and poor customer service would be expected based on the price tag), or perhaps we will splurge for a true inn on this beautiful island.

Room Tip: courtyard rooms that overlook the grounds and massive stonewalls are also directly attached, facing...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear that you were not happy with some of your experiences with us at the Wonder View.

I apologize for the confusion about your dog and also about the heater in the pool. The heater was out for a few days while waiting for parts for repair and our best option was to invite you to use the pool at the Bluenose Inn. I hope you were able to do that and again apologize for the inconvenience.

Should you decide to stay with us again in the future I do invite you to express to the booking agent at our property the specific desires you have for your room and view. We have multiple buildings with a wide variety of options and genuinely seek to match you to your needs and wants.

Brunswick, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

My dog and I recently stayed at this inn (we usually come to Acadia every fall to hike and rent a cottage) this year no cottages were available so I chose Wonder View. This is a absolutely lovely place to stay with your dog. We received a welcome package when we checked in that had a dog bowel, dog cookie, list of restaurant's that one can take your dog to. The staff were wonderful and very dog friendly. It is easy to get to the park and downtown from this inn. The grounds are lovely and a good place to walk your dog (the welcome package includes doggie poop bags!) I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
It sounds like you and your dog had a terrific vacation with us. I am very happy to hear how much you appreciated all of the special touches such as the bowl, cookies, and doggie bags that we provide to make you and your "best friend" feel at home here.

I hope that you do have the opportunity to come back and stay with us again. Be sure to say hello in person when you do.

GM