“Everything you ever wanted to know about lobsters!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Aquariums
Attraction Details
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
“Everything you ever wanted to know about lobsters!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We did a lot of outdoor activities while vacationing in Maine, but one day was pretty chilly and dreary so my husband suggested we check out the Oceanarium he read about. We were really curious about the entire process of lobstering - and what makes lobster so expensive in the Midwest
We arrived in the morning and were some of the first customers. We were told that the program was in 3 parts (4 if you take the nature hike).
We got a private lesson for the first segment --- a very interesting and informative talk on lobsters from the time the female becomes fertile to how lobsters are released into the Ocean when large enough. We enjoyed viewing the hatchery, the videos and charts. Very fascinating and informative!
The second segment was another speaker, quite a character who knew his subject! Also very informative and enjoyable.
The third section was probably my favorite-- we were shown various sea creatures and learned a lot about them as well -- and how they all survive and interact with each other. A tank had live subjects which we were able to touch and hold if we wanted. The instructor for this segment also very well informed!
Due to time restrictions we didn't do the hike and are sorry we missed it as the instructors sure were knowledgable and interesting to listen to.
I think the Oceanarium is a great place -- and do great work.

Visited October 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Usa
11 attraction reviews
“The Oceanarium”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The Oceanarium is located on route 3 at the head of the Island. Its one of its only kind in USA dedicated to marine life and offers viewing of live specimens and exhibits of sea life around the islands. The Thomas bay marsh walk offers good educational inputs on importance of marshes and why it should be preserved.

Visited October 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
“This needs to be in the top 5 attractions!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was my favorite, favorite, favorite attraction of Mount Desert Island!!! If you have any interest in any natural aspect of MDI, this is a must-do. We chose to do ALL of the available demonstrations and I'm so glad we did. The lobster hatchery, the lobster museum, the discovery tank, and the marsh walk. (The discovery tank and the marsh walks were my favorite, possible because the woman doing the presentations was fantastic. I was so impressed, I actually sent an email to the ocenarium itself (which I didn't hear back, lame!). Here is that email: " Spectacular!! I just wanted to e-mail you all to commend you on what a wonderful experience I had at your aquarium! It is undoubtedly the highlight of my week long stay here on the island. The staff was incredibly friendly and exceptionally knowledgeable. I do not know the names of my guides, but I wish I could give them individual praises for their performance! My favorite portion, though hard to decide, was the Marsh walk. Amazing. The view, material, delivery: everything was great. I cannot thank you enough for having this program available, for both tourists like myself, as well as for the lobster hatchery and environmental work you participate in."

malbeclady
8 attraction reviews
“A Learning experience OCEANARIUM”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Arrived at 3pm , made it in time for all the various areas. 2 hrs is suggested for viewing everything. We learned about the breeding of the lobsters, feeding them, and viewed all of the tanks they are kept in during various stages of growth. Lobster fishermen bring to this facility female lobsters who have many eggs on their undersides. Conservation is VERY important to all lobster fishermen, And the State of Maine. David was an interesting speaker to the audience- had a lobster boat to view. Showed us cages and BLUE lobsters(a genetic defect). At the touching tank we saw many types of live crusteans and were able to touch them. Very interesting talk.

Grain Valley, Missouri
11 attraction reviews
“What you didnt know about Lobsters but were afraid to ask”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Oceanarium was a neat part of our visit. You would think a lobster is just a lobster until you visit this place. The staff are very friendly and informative on the subject. The tour is three parts. They even have two blue lobsters on display. If you love lobster you'll love this place.