“Perfect in Bar Harbor” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Orchard Lake, Michigan
“Perfect in Bar Harbor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Great location in downtown Bar Harbor, close to shopping, restaurants, and activities. Our room was well appointed with a refrigerator, flatscreen, ihome alarm clock and best of all a glass sliding doorway leading to a small brick patio. Our first floor ocean view room looked over the harbor. Being on the first floor meant that from our patio we could walk on the lawn and around the property! The hotel offers a beautiful pool and a separate hot tub. Flowers adorn the pool area along with lovely blue cushioned lounge chairs. The hotel has a restaurant, Bella Vita, with a nice lounge area. The people at the front desk were friendly and had a great sense of humor. Concierge made a great recommendation of a boat sunset tour. Lobby has a real wood burning fireplace and is a cozy area. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I would prefer to see the $25 resort fee added to the price of the room.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
chris torrey t, General Manager at Harborside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Dear Sparty80,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with other travelers. The patio rooms are some of my favorite rooms as they offer a larger “balcony” size- with incredible views. From the grounds staff to the Front Desk staff, all work tirelessly to ensure all of our guests have a great experience while visiting downtown Bar Harbor- we are grateful for all the positive comments you have provided regarding your stay!

If your travels bring you back to the Bar Harbor area, I hope the Harborside Hotel, Spa and Marina will your lodging facility of choice!

Chris Torrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I made reservations and talked with a very nice young man who gave me lots of suggestions about the area. When I called while on the way to Bar Harbor, I was told that we did not have a reservation. I had to call the Inn in Camden and ask them to accommodate us for another night. As we were driving, I realized that I had given them a credit card, so I called back and lo and behold, they found our reservation. By then it was too late. I did get a cancellation number and hope that is the end of that, but it was scary due to the season.

Room Tip: I have no idea how to help anyone since the messed up our reservation. I would like to add that when...
Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
chris torrey t, General Manager at Harborside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Carol V,

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the reservation error. I was not aware of this situation and will be investigating this as we hate to inconvenience any of our guests with reservation errors.

If you choose to return to the Bar Harbor area, I hope that you will contact me directly- I would be happy to help assist in making the reservation. This is not the level of service that our guests have come to expect at the Harborside, and I apologize that your vacation was impacted by this error.

York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We spent 3 nights at this beautiful hotel during our 10 year anniversary trip. The overall appearance of the hotel is quite classy with a Tudor style and perfect location right on the harbor. Our room was spacious with a full size sofa (sofa bed) and king size bed as well as a desk and chair. The bathroom was well-appointed with a brightly lit mirror over the sink and a gorgeously tiled walk-in shower with glass door. Only ten minutes after check in, the power went out and stayed out for over 2 hours. We learned it was out throughout the whole town because of a car accident knocking out a transformer. The hotel staff was stationed throughout the hallways and stairwells with flashlights and lanterns to make sure everyone was safe. The access to the sand bar from the hotel was perfect and we spent every evening (during low tide) out on the bar looking for shells. The pool/fitness club next door was quite lovely but we ended up being so busy that we never got to use it. Overall, our stay here was fabulous and we hope to return someday.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Shelly S,

We appreciate you taking the time in reviewing your recent experience at the Harborside, we welcome all guest feedback and we are so happy to hear all the positive feedback you have provided.

I am pleased to hear that despite the slight power outage that you encountered it did not deter your experience, I am also very happy to hear that you noticed our staff’s preparation during the power outage.

We would love the opportunity to welcome you back, and we hope that when you return to the area the Harborside Hotel & Marina will be your lodging of choice.

New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

To start, the hotel wasn't TERRIBLE. It just wasn't what I expected for the money. It had a Holiday Inn feel, which is the hotel I originally booked but decided to spend the extra money for luxury and being in town. However, it was always difficult to find a parking spot at our hotel anyway. We prefer not to utilize the valet. Though I understand the need for the resort fee, we were in town to explore and not to hang out the hotel. I think this is why the things I noticed didn't bother me to the point of complaining - we were hardly there. The room was huge, for sure. The bed was very comfortable. There were very minor things that I just thought should have been addressed in a hotel of this caliber. For instance, the headboard had a large chunk of wood missing from it. The dresser drawer was broken out and then smashed back in so there were wood shavings all over the floor under the dresser. The dish in the bathroom holding the shampoo etc. was very chipped. I stepped on a screw almost right off checking out the bed. The TV is at such an angle that the person on the left side of the bed can't really see a good portion of it (I like to watch before bed). The soundproofing was almost none. I had the pleasure of hearing our side and upstairs neighbors urinating every morning from my bed and the doors really slam. The hallways were always sweltering hot no matter the time of day (outside temp was 74 or below) so it was uncomfortable walking through. Very minor things, but when I pay a significant amount of money, I notice these things! We stayed in a Premium King Islandview. We had a view of the island, but we had to look over 5 rows of cars, too. I understand we could have had a better view for more money, but I think the hotel ambiance could have made up where the view lacked. While the ambiance was lacking, the staff was extremely friendly.

The restaurant, La Bella Vita, was DELICIOUS! We had the make your own pasta dish and both loved our choices. I got the half size which was plenty. My boyfriend had the full size which was HUGE! The bread with the pomodora sauce was to die for. We also had room service for breakfast and the portions were huge and the food was delicious. I had a mushroom, cheddar, and ham omelet with home fries (AMAZING) and my boyfriend had blueberry pancakes which were also delicious. Our server for room service, Alfonso, was friendly and prompt.

I have stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn, Acadia Inn, and The West Street Hotel. I will definitely return to The West Street for the extra money and skip this place. Though across the street, the view was just what we were hoping we would find here and did not.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura R,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience in Bar Harbor. We warmly welcome our guest’s feedback as we strive to provide a great lodging experience for all of our guests. I appreciate you bringing to my attention the furniture quality, our guests certainly expect a certain level of service and ambiance and I would like to apologize that this detail was not up to our high standards.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our staff and our on property restaurant, La Bella Vita, our staff works very hard to provide a great experience for all of our guests- they appreciate the kind feedback.

We would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the Harborside or the West Street Hotel, if you choose to return I hope you will contact me directly as we would love the opportunity to show you our true lodging experience at our beautiful property.

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

while we didn't stay here, and we really enjoyed the Bar Harbor Inn, this is the hotel we would try to stay in next time. it looked cooler and newer. I will also add the OPAL group of hotels to our consideration for other towns.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear MMdeluca,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in Bar Harbor. The Harborside Hotel provides great views, accommodations and amenities for our guests, we hope that the next time you are in the Bar Harbor area, The Harborside will be your lodging facility of choice. Please contact me directly if you should need any assistance- I am happy to help!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We can't recommend this resort more! The facilities are amazing for adults and kids (the resort gives you access to a beautiful spa and club house with tennis and pool overlooking the harbor). The service is extraordinary...from the valet, front desk and restaurant. The room service is over the top! Very reasonably priced and special! Eben the General Manager and Sarah, the front desk supervisor went out of there way to make sure our stay was perfect. This was our second trip...we can't wait to book for next summer!

Stayed July 2014
Dear llyne8,

Your review was a pleasure to read, thank you for taking the time to share your amazing experience with other travelers. We have a wonderful staff here at the Harborside and I pleased to hear you had a great encounter with just a few of our hard working staff!

We look forward to welcoming you back next summer!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Just returned from a three night stay at the Harborside and it was first-class as usual. I've stayed here twice before and all stays have been excellent. They've always been very accommodating and pleasant to deal with.

I booked early, which is the secret to getting good rates. I also call personally to check on room rates and availability. Hotels usually have vacancies even though they don't appear online, so calling is vital. Admittedly, the prices are a bit high, but so are the other highly ranked hotels in the area, and even more so.

I booked an island view room for my family and when we arrived we found it a bit too small. I spoke with the front desk and the young lady immediately found us a larger available room with a kitchenette. No extra charge for the upgrade. I asked for more blankets; no problem. I asked for more towels; no problem. In fact, anything I asked for was not a problem for the staff. The concierge even lent us a self-guided CD of the park and mountain. We popped it into our car and away we went. There are tennis courts, a spa, fitness rooms (2): one in the hotel and one in the club area, two pools, and a hot tub.

<<< BEGIN RANT >>>

Addressing a few of the bad reviews: No hotel is perfect 100% of the time. There are some people who, unfortunately, will not have such a nice stay as others. However, giving a rating of one star because of one minor event is unfair.
- Many complained of the $25 per night club fee (one star!) I don't agree with that either, but I took advantage and had the whole family use the fitness center, the pools, the tennis courts, etc.
- Others complained about high prices (one star!) EVERYTHING is priced high in the summer time.
- Some complained about the lack of parking (one star!) If you would have spoken to someone as I did, they would let you park in the Bar Harbor Club area.
- One person said they were locked out of the building altogether and had to enter through a service entrance?! (one star!) You can open any side or back door with your room key. Also the main entrance is NEVER closed.
People need to relax a bit more. You're on vacation, after all. Stop spending so much time at the hotel/resort and more time checking out the national park, beaches, hiking trails, canoeing, mountains, tours, small towns within the island itself. There is actually a LOT to do and see while you're there.

<<< END RANT >>>

Back on topic... The family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Harborside. We've been to many hotels both good and bad, and this is an example of how to do things right. Good, clean rooms, pleasant service, wonderful amenities, at the heart of everything. Splurge a little and you'll enjoy your stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Book early, check website for deals, call instead of booking online.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear atoledo5,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your past stays in Bar Harbor, your review provides an opportunity to see our property through our guest’s
eye- thank you for the very kind remarks!

Every season we are pleasantly surprised at the amount of guests that come back every year, it is our pleasure welcoming back guests, as well as welcoming new guests to property- we continuously strive to provide consistently for all guests- so we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your three vacations at the Harborside.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to property!

Chris Torrey

Been to Harborside Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!