“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Beautiful facility with pool, gym, and spa, directly on waterfront. Contrary to what some have commented, our service was spot on. Rates are high, but not at all bad in shoulder season. Hotel restaurant is just fair, but dozens of restaurants in Bar Harbor are just outside the hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Bar Harbor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The hotel has great views and many nice amenities such as use of the Bar Harbor club next door which is where I am writing this review from.
In my humble opinion though it is a little overpriced for what you get. It is very expensive.

It is a nice hotel but I feel that for the money there are probably other places to stay that are just as nice if not nicer, such as one of the many great B&Bs in town. But of course most of the B&Bs don't have a pool and a hot tub and a spa and a restaurant.

We broke up our stay between the Harborside and the Black Friar. I wish now we had spent a few more nights at the Black Friar and a few less at the Harborside but I don't regret staying at either location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here for five nights and would definitely stay there again. The staff were excellent and very helpful. Our room was great with a view of the water and it was nice to sit on the deck when we had an afternoon of a few showers. The location is terrific for walking to shops and restaurants at night.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We found the Harborside on this site. What a beautiful hotel. Walking distance to shops and restaurants, our room was on the second floor with a view of the bay. Staff was wonderful.
Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If it is a view you want, you need to be on the second or third floor.
Normal, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel was very nice. We had an ocean view room with a small balcony. The bed was really comfortable and the room was really clean. Everyone was very friendly. Perfect location, just a quick walk to the shops and restaurants. Yes, the 25 dollar resort fee was a little bothersome, especially since we didn't use anything. We stayed 2 nights and wanted to do one of the boat tours but because a cruise ship was docked that day, all boats were allocated to the ship and not doing any tours. That was a little disappointing. We drove to the park and that was quite busy with cruisers as well, still very pretty. Yes, it's a little pricey but everything in Bar Harbor is pricey. We didn't have a chance to use the spa.
One thing I didn't care for was the breakfast in the hotel. I thought the eggs were overcooked. Walking up town to a different restaurant was a good idea.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor with ocean view. It was great to see all the boats.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

No question that the hotel is very nice and in a great location in the center of town with a great view of the harbor. Easy to walk anywhere in town. However, the service was terrible for the price. The average room is $400 plus per night. I had a romantic weekend planned with my girlfriend and reserved a balcony with an island view. When I got into the room it was on the ground floor that had a patio with a great view of the parking lot. When I complained they were not able to give me the room I reserved because they were booked but could move my room the next night. I was told to leave my bags packed at the door before I went out the next morning and they would take care of it. The next morning I decided to follow up on the way out. The manager at the front desk had no idea what I was talking about and said she had no record of what was promised the day before. After explaining what happened Instead of apologizing she gave me attitude and told me they cant guarantee a balcony with reservations. What is the point of reserving a balcony if they cant guarantee one. I eventually got the room. When I came back later in the day there were dirty dished outside the room and my luggage was nowhere to be found. I had to call to locate my luggage and wait 30 minutes for it to arrive. The the first night did not have a ironing board. I called to get one. After an hour of not getting one I had to call a second time and explain I had dinner reservations before they finally sent one to my room. I would expect this for an average priced hotel. Not at this price. One more thing they tried to charge me a much higher rate the second night when I changed the room. It wasn't fixed until I brought it to their attention.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Harborside Hotel & Marina was a great choice for our visit to Bar Harbor. It is one of only several hotels which offer excellent access both to the harbor and it's amenities and town. One side of the hotel offers an unobstructed view of the harbor; the other, less scenic, offers a parking lot view, plus front row seats to the natural phenomenon for which the town is named. You get to watch the tide cover & uncover the sand bar. At low tide it is a short walk to the trail to the island which will soon be covered by 9-13 feet of water. We stayed in a suite on the second floor. It was comfortable, clean and well maintained. The kitchenette had a full-sized refrigerator, microwave, a stove-top, dishwater, sink & cabinets fully stocked with dishes silverware and an assortment of pans. The bedroom was comfortable and nicely appointed and included a flat screen t.v.. The sitting room was furnished with a couch, a several small tables, a small dining table and a television. The chairs on the balcony had lost their cushions so weren't real comfortable. The desk clerk was polite and helpful. Check in and out was uneventful. There was a concierge to help arrange tours and reservations. However, we had trouble keeping the room key "keyed" and had to go back twice to the desk to get it to open the room. The lobby was decorated with leather furniture and you are greeted by a cherry fire in the fireplace and tasty lemon water. Breakfast is not included in the room cost or the $25.00 a day resort fee though internet service is. The resort fee gives access to the spa, pool and fitness club next door. The hotel pool has some leaves and such in it (it's late in the season) but the resort pool was crystal clear so if you feel the urge for a swim use it instead. On check-in you're given a $15.00 voucher for a tour at the "Bar Harbor Whale Watch" which cost $68.00. We choose Lulu's Lobster Boat Tour at $30.00 per person, had a great tour and saved on the cost. The close proximity to Acadia Park, the harbor, dock, shops and restaurants of Bar Harbor made the Harborside Hotel & Marina an excellent choice for our stay.

Room Tip: If you want the iconic Maine harbor view one side of the hotel has a lovely unobstructed view. The...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harborside Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!