“Relaxing Waterside Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
North Palm Beach, Florida
“Relaxing Waterside Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Really enjoyed this property, which is situation directly on the harbor. We had two rooms on the ground floor, looking out onto the marina, which provided us with copious entertainment. It was especially beautiful on Independence Day. We sat on the porch outside our room to watch the fireworks.

Early mornings come, well, very early in Maine in July. By 4:30 am the sky is getting light, and by 5:30 it is full blown morning. The harbor wakes up slowly, and we really enjoyed watching the morning break, the boats going out fishing, and the people starting to get busy.

The rooms we had were large and quiet. The window treatments were thick enough to keep the morning sun out when we wanted, and the bathrooms were large and clean. I found the staff to be very friendly, cheerful and helpful.

The resort is very close to everything you would want to visit. There are several nice shops, restaurants and, yes, ice cream stores, all within 5 minute walk. As a guest of the hotel you also have privileges at the private Harbor Club next door, which offers spa treatments and other amenities. We were too busy to make use of that benefit, but it looked like a real plus.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money on the waterfront room. It adds so much to your stay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We planned an anniversary trip to Bar Harbor and decided to stay down town to walk to all of the attractions. We settled on Harborside Hotel & Marina after reviewing the website and noting the amenities. We were extremely disappointed. The staff was seasonal and the registration clerk was from the Dominican Republic and did not have a great command of English. We got to our room and the shower was apparently added after the bathroom was complete. There was absolutely no light in the shower, and the shower was in a dark corner. This is a safety hazard and a law suit waiting to happen. We switched rooms and got a much better situation.

We went to eat in the restaurant, which is branded as Italian. The menu listed gnocchi as an appetizer and I asked if I could get that as my pasta for the main dish. The waitress was so ignorant that she told me that gnocchi was not a pasta and couldn't be served that way. I guess if my grandmother was alive I could tell her she wasted all of that time teaching me how to make homemade gnocchi for Sunday dinner. The sauce was horrible and the pasta was extremely over cooked and mushy. The service was very slow and it was probably the worst Italian meal I have ever eaten.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Clinton, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I just stayed for 1 night over the weekend. The location is great. Its downtown near all of the shopping and restaurants. It's on the water side so there's nothing in between the hotel and the harbor. The grounds are nice. We arrived just about 5 minutes before the check in time of 4:00, so the person checking us in was telling us about the grounds and killing a few minutes. Our room was still not ready about 15 minutes after the hour so they decided to upgrade us from a premium king oceanfront to a 1 bed king oceanfront suite. We had to wait an additional few minutes for that room as well. The front desk was nice but we lost a little time which was frustrating since it was so late in the day. We had something we had wanted to do at 4:30 but couldn't because of it. The unit was the furthest away from the ocean on the side that we were on, and next to the hot tub. The living room side of the unit was nice but you could see the people in the hot tub so we had to shut all the curtains. We could see the water fine, but any room along that side would have been better than what we had. The bedroom side of the unit smelled awful, very musty. I don't know if it was the carpet or the AC, but the living room side didn't smell like that. It wasn't something I could get used to. I mentioned it to the front desk on our way out because at that price, you should be able to enjoy your room without that odor. The room didn't have much light and had a dark blue carpet making it a little gloom. The bed was pretty comfortable with tons of pillows. The bathroom was big and nice. There was a nice kitchenette with a full sized fridge so if you're staying for an extended time, it would be nice to have. All in all it was okay, but I won't spend as much money next time since we didn't really hang out in the room much. I would have been disappointed if I had spent the extra money to have the 1 bedroom suite that we were upgraded to. I would have liked to see the room we were originally supposed to be in to compare.

There are a couple pools although we only visited one. You could enjoy the view of the water from the hot tub that we used. Apparently servers come by with drinks near the pool area, although we didn't happen to see anyone. We enjoyed some nice lounge chairs overlooking the water. The only thing was that the filters/pumps were close by and a little noisy, but not terribly. That have to put them somewhere...

There is a restaurant on site but we didn't try it.

You can do just about everything within a short walking distance from the hotel. We took a bus tour to Acadia which you can purchase at Testa's Restaurant. There are whale watching trips, lobster, and puffin trips all pretty much next door. You can also take a little tour on a horse drawn carriage, pulled by 2 beautiful Clydesdales, literally in the same parking lot as the hotel.

I would stay here again, as long as I could see/small the room before committing to it!

Room Tip: Any oceanfront room on the side facing toward where the whale watching boats dock (by the mountain p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

lovely setting, perfect location, a can-do staff. Expensive, but life is short and well worth every cent. 2 pools, beautiful flowers and sights abound. Really a well run resort!! Hot chocolate by the fireplace with my five year old--priceless and forever!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I took our daughters here to have fun in Bar Harbor. The cool thing is the hotel is right on the harbor and at low tide you can cross the sand bar and explore Bar Harbor Island. The pools are nice and service at the bar was good food at the pool for the kids.
I was impressed with the service in one area. One of the kids had locked something in the room safe and could not get it open. The maintenance man came so quickly to get it open.
The location to all the shops is so close.

• Stayed August 2013
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

On first glance hotel looks very upscale. I think the rooms are a little dated. Overlooked PARKING LOT and then the water. That was disappointing…but really did not hear the noise. I would think if we were on the first floor you might. Had a King and used the sleeper sofa and requested rollaway bed but they now have blowup mattresses. As our stay went on I think it was worth the money! The location is the best. Traveled with 3 kids under the age of 12 and we were able to walk around to everything which was so close by! Stewman's and Lulu's Lobster Boat are next door. The Sand Bar to Bar Island is right off the pool at the Club. We ate a great lunch with a great selection. Everyone found something to eat! Did not realize there was free laundry but would have loved to do a load. Resort fee is worth it! You can valet for free or park it yourself for free. Free bottled water everywhere. Free WIFI in rooms. Book in advance for the Spa. Was unable to walk in which was really disappointing. As a mother of 3 hard to plan in advance. Had an hour to myself and could not get a treatment. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at this hotel during a recent trip to New England. The room we had was nice, well-equipped but a little bit small. The bathroom, especially the shower was extremely good.

I had a massage at the adjacent hotel club spa which was extremely good but it was a little inconvenient that the spa is situated in an annex to the main building.

The restaurant is good especially for breakfast but the menu options are rather limited and the prices are high. The acoustics in the restaurant are however terrible probably because of the low ceiling so sitting outside on the terrace is a better option.

The location is excellent, right in the middle of things. Our room had a view of the pool area and harbor.

Overall, although this hotel is trying to be more upscale, we preferred the days we spent in the Bar Harbor Inn because of the view, the dining room and easier parking.

Room Tip: If you want more privacy choose a room with a private rather than a shared deck.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harborside Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!