“Top Notch B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bass Cottage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bass Cottage Inn
14 The Field, PO Box 242, Bar Harbor, ME 04609   |
Ranked #6 of 33 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Holbrook, NY
“Top Notch B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Beautiful and elegant B&B located in a great location in town but off the main thoroughfare. The common rooms are very nicely restored with a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. The owners are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They really make you feel like a guest in their home! Our room (#3) was very roomy and comfortable. I never noticed bedding before. Here it was a luxurious pillow top bed.Sleep comes easily within minutes. Lastly, the breakfasts were extraordinary. Having 3 choices each day is nice, especially since my wife is not a hot breakfast person. The muffins were great (especially the blueberry). I especially enjoyed the blueberry waffles. The only breakfast let down was the sausage which, to me, tasted more like a hot dog than a breakfast sausage. While I have only stayed in a half dozen or so B&B's over the years, and I have stayed in some that were very nice, this one was by far the best. Highly recommended. It may be a little more expensive than some others but you won't find a better B&B anywhere.

Room Tip: Room 3 was very large and comfortable.

398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the BCI in July and it was one of the best B&B's we have ever stayed at. We were warmly greeted by Terri and she promptly showed us around and offered us dinner suggestions. Room 8 was very cozy and quiet and there a lot of common areas to sit around and relax. Location could not have been any better, right off main street but still very private.
Breakfasts were wonderful and they had drinks and snacks out during the day. The staff were all polite and friendly. This is the place to stay in Bar Harbor.....but make sure you leave me a room!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at the Bass Cottage Inn for three nights in July for our honeymoon. We can't say enough good things about the stay. The breakfast was excellent- you have three different options, and everything we tried was great. The owners and staff were great- everyone was very friendly and we really enjoyed chatting with everyone. We stayed in room 3, which was very large, and had a large bathroom attached. The bed was very comfortable and even though the room was in the front of the house, it was quiet in the morning.
We would have loved to stay longer, but will definitely be back

Wallingford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed for three nights at the end of June for our honeymoon. Great location, amazing decor, delicious breakfast. Terri even made me gluten free scones two of the three mornings! (Somehow the message of my wheat allergy didn't get delivered the first morning), but she did apologize and the next two mornings the scones were some of the best I have ever had, gluten free or not. One day there was not a breakfast option that was wheat-free, so they made me an omelet specially.
Our room was beautiful and huge and felt very private.
Not inexpensive, but I didn't feel that it was exorbitant given what we got.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This is an oasis amid the bustle of Bar Harbor. The location is just off Main Street, but you would never know it. The owners have done an amazing job with the layout, decor and the feeling of this place. The breakfasts are wonderful. I had the lightest lemon pancakes I have ever had. I appreciate that there was coffee available in the guest pantry at 6:00 am when I went out for an early morning walk. The breakfast room is set up with individual tables for the guests, so if you are not a fan of interacting with strangers first thing in the morning, this is your place.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We spent three nights earlier this month at the Inn. i have to admit that my heart was in my throat while the proprietress showed us around the common rooms on the ground floor, as they had such classic styling that I half expected to find a couple of the "Little Women" sisters around each corner. However, the rooms themselves were a lovely combination of modern conveniences done in antique styling. We could not have been more comfortable in our room and the breakfasts were exquisite. The Inn serves dinner several nights per week and their dinner was the best of all the restaurants at which we ate during our stay. If your travels take you to Bar Harbor, I highly recommend that you stay in Bass Cottage Inn and that you eat dinner here one night. It will be a treat that you long remember.

Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place is so good I don’t want to tell anyone about it for fear it will be full the next time I want come back.

I felt like I was wandering around my own big house in the morning and evening. The public rooms are many, spacious and beautifully decorated. I would wake up like clockwork around 4:15 a.m. every morning and go downstairs and sit with a cup of coffee and write in my travel journal.

When I first looked out my window, I saw rooftop and trees and thought it was an o.k. view. While lying in bed and waking up to a pink sky behind the tree line, it became wonderful.

The breakfasts are truly gourmet and stick to your ribs for a while. I wished I had of gotten to stay one more day because I would have tried the healthy platter with fruit, yogurt and homemade granola. One lady next to me ordered it and it looked absolutely delicious.

Did I mention the beds are pillow top? It is heavenly to sleep on. There are 4 pillows per bed – I love lots of pillows. A light comes on in the closet which I have always liked when trying to find clothes in the morning.

There is a guest refrigerator in the pantry area and you can request buckets of ice. They have Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite. Check out the great snacks!

The location for this B&B could not be any better!!! Step right outside and you are but a few steps from Main Street and numerous places to eat and shop and yes, kayaking offices are all close by because they are not located at the end of town they are in the middle of the action. The harbor is also just down the block.

JUST COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER.

I ate at 10 Tables one night and will post a review soon. Also, a great place to eat dinner.

My only irks are these: there is no road sign telling you where THE FIELD is. The road is next to a bank. My GPS found it but I still rely on road signs because my GPS had me lost twice in Maine. I went by it the first time as a result and had to circle around again through a huge crowd.

The other is the shower in room 6 is kind of small. I kept hitting the door with my elbows when washing my hair. Otherwise the bathroom is huge.

Something that might irk you was one could hear the staff in the kitchen and on the back porch around 7:00 a.m. It was of no concern to me since I was already up but if you are a late sleeper who likes dead quiet you might want to try another room (I was in #6).

You might want to ask them where the location of your would-be room is. I ‘think’ rooms 8 and 10 had an external entrance up a few flights. This might be a concern if you have lots of luggage or heavy luggage.

Whatever room you pick, you will not regret your decision.

Room Tip: ask about location of room if it might be a concern
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
BassCottage, Owner at Bass Cottage Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
We are so happy the guest who wrote this carefully considered review gave us such high marks. She was with us for several days and got a chance to fully experience all that we do to help our guests enjoy themselves. A couple of comments based on this guest's observations:

1) our location is great -- centrally located but tucked in a quiet enclave off of Main St. near the harbor. So, we can be hard for some to find. That's why we provide a link to Directions (text and map) in an email that goes out to arriving guests 5 days before they check in. A GPS system works fine, but guests should also print out the directions if they are concerned.

2) Room 6 - this guest's room for her stay - is one of our most popular rooms and normally very quiet. However, on one day during the guest's stay one of our kitchen staff was having an emergency family phone call outside and, unfortunately, could be heard in the guest's room. Staff have been reminded that we provide a comfortable and QUIET environment for our guests. I don't expect further issues as our staff are very responsible and customer-focused.

Been to Bass Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!