“Excellent in every venue!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 105 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Eclectic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fathom is a casual, yet fine-dining restaurant located on the corner of Cottage, Bridge & Summer Streets in Bar Harbor, Maine. We source the freshest, highest quality produce, fish, meats and other products available from specialty purveyors, local farms and fisherman. Our bar is stocked with wine, spirits, and beer, and we offer specialty house cocktails. Chef Bobby Will combines classic techniques and modern technology to create layers of flavor and texture.
Palm Springs, California
“Excellent in every venue!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went as a family group of 7, and every single one of us loved it! But you better get your reservations in first! Some of my in-laws are quite picky, to have everyone agree is quite an accomplishment. The menu has a broad choice and everybody found something. I enjoyed the evening special because I love halibut, but minus that, I still would have found something.

We found the service satisfactory, but at first I thought there was too much time between courses. However, as my wife reminded me, the food was rich, and having time between the courses is actually good as it gives time to savor everything, which indeed we did.

I found the portion sizes quite good. The best barometer of that is how I feel when I leave. I did not feel bloated or cheated, I felt just right, and would definitely go again.

Hicksville, New York
“Special night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I grew up in NYC and now live in the suburbs, and naturally have become accustomed to no shortage of fine restaurants. Rarely, however, have I found a restaurant while on vacation that measures up to what I am used to at home. Fathom is such a place - combining gourmet quality, creative dishes, with a pleasant dining environment, and complemented with excellent service. While prices are higher than many other restaurants in town, you get what you pay for, and the prices are certainly in line with the quality and attention to detail you would expect from a fine restaurant in any city. I am an avid home chef and usually complain that I can cook better than what I often get in resort area restaurants. The entree I had was so extraordinary and imaginative, that it will take me quite a while to conjure up something that good! The wine list was impressive and not unreasonable, and while I do not eat desserts, some of the dessert items almost made me want to make an exception. Kudos to Fathom and their staff - I will definitely return on my next visit.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“If you only have one night in BH, eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We ate here on our last night in Bar Harbor and were very glad we did . We shared the scallops special and the salad with pears and beets. Both were outstanding. For dinner we shared the lamb chops and the halibut special. Both were phenomenal.
Excellent food and service. Must make a reservation. So worth it !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Duck, Halibut both winners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife loves duck. I couldn't pass up a halibut special even though this isn't Alaska. Both were great. Our spinach salads included grilled peaches which weren't ripe (only disappointment) so we exchanged for beet salads with marinated pear.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely dining experience in Bar Harbor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

For city dwellers coming to BH seeking the culinary experience one would expect (but does not find often) in this quintessential New England resort town, Fathom is a welcome surprise. The menu offers a perfect variety, creative compliments and localvore appeal. Great service and charming little space, especially outdoor area. We have been two years in a row at Labor Day and loved it.

• 4 of 5 stars Food