“This place is Horrible and the GM knows nothing” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #29 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Boston, Massachusetts
“This place is Horrible and the GM knows nothing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

His hotel is such a bad hotel from the rooms with no phones to the GM who thinks he knows everything clearly has no idea what the hell he is doing. Something broke in my room I called for maintenance, and supposedly the " manager" showed up. A manager the guy named ken stood there and looked around with a dumbfounded look on his face. The only thing that was good about that place was the breakfast. The girls were lovely I think there names were Kelsey, Lori and Frances very friendly and willing to please. The spread of food was good for a free breakfast, they definitely deserve some recognition. Other than that will never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Stephen N, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I am sorry you were displeased with your stay at our property, but a little confused over exactly what was wrong. We do have telephones in all our guest rooms, complet with dilaing instructuions and directories for in-house and outside calls. Our Chief Engineer's name is Ken and I'm assuming that is who responded to your request for assistance. We do have a detailed system for keeping track of maintenance requests and issues, and follow up on any problems that are not resolved to the guests' satisfaction at the time. I wish I had had the chance to meet with you personally or the inadequate response to the issue had been brought to the Front Desk for further action at the time, as it is our desire to rectify any problems at the time and ensure the guest's satisfaction while they are still with us. Again, my apologies, and I hope we may be able to better accommodate you at some time in the future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Biloxi, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Easy in and out, within walking distance to downtown, and the cleanliness is exceptional. We walked downtown every afternoon and set out to explore Acadia every morning. This hotel is right in the middle of it all! Highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

Don't be dissuaded by the appearance of an older hotel.....stayed here October 2014 for 2 nights to enjoy Bar Harbor, Acadia NP & fall foliage. Hotel front desk staff was very friendly and helpful at check in. Yes, it is an older hotel but New England is full of older hotels. The room was very clean and comfortable...albeit the bathroom was small but accommodating to what bathroom needs one may have.......toilet, shower & brushing your teeth. The breakfast across the street in a separate building is very good. Who cares that you have to walk across the street to eat !!!!! The staff kept bringing freshly made food out from the kitchen and the guests kept devouring it!! Breakfast staff were also friendly when they had time to talk.

If your needs are a 5 star hotel with valet parking, candles, rose pedals and a wait staff totally committed to your every need then don't choose this hotel. If your needs are a good clean room at a reasonable price with a good full breakfast then this is your place. This hotel is close enough to town to walk if desired & the internet was working fine. Our room was on the 2nd floor and there is no elevator.......not a big deal to us (gee, we had to walk up a few steps - the exercise is good for you).

We are retired (58 & 63) and would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
MANNHEIM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

My experience has to do with the fact, that I requested a room downstairs with the reservation, that I wrote an e-mail (message on the hotel-website) the day before the arrival repeating the request, and when checking in the lady at the frontdesk gave me a room on the second floor with a lot of stairs. When I reminded her of my request I was harshly brushed aside with the insinuation that I did not request downstairs and that I did not write to the hotel.
To make matters worse: I wrote another message on the website of the hotel yesterday and now - a day later - I still have no response from management.
This is very unprofessional.
Since the rooms are good, the breakfast is good (at least on a dry day, because you have to cross a street to get to the breakfast-place) and the beds are finde, I still give two points.

Room Tip: If you have luggage, you should stay downstairs
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Stephen N, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2014
I am sorry we were not able to better accommodate you during your recent stay at the Bar Harbor Quality Inn. Unfortunately, when reservations such as yours are made through a third party on-line travel agent, the information for special requests does not reach us in as timely a manner as direct reservations to the property or through the Choice Advantage reservation system. Your request for a lower floor room (a different category from what was reserved) was not received by our staff until they were reviewing the arrivals for that day. At that late point, we did not have the rooms available to make the change to accommodate your request. I can find no record of any correspondence prior to your arrival, and your email regarding your stay did not come through until after 8:00 PM the last night you were with us. If you have a chance to let us know how you sent that and to what address, we would appreciate it because we have not had any issues with delayed correspondence prior to this, and want to make sure we receive feedback from our guests in a timely manner so we may address any issues that arise. Thank you for your feedback and your assistance in improving our services for future guests.
Milton, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

We stayed here two nights on a "leaf peeping" trip. It's obviously an older hotel, but it was clean & convenient. Our rooms were on the end, so the wi-fi was not great, but I don't have any other complaints. The free breakfast was probably the best I've had in the Choice Hotels chain.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014 via mobile

This motel has the worst wifi have ever had in a hotel. They gave me a number to call for the supplier, who rebooted. I was at least able to get on. Tonight having the same trouble. It goes and off. Some of the time when it is on, it is very very slow. Right now I am using g3 service because I cannot get to wifi.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for some hiking, shopping and leafing (I just can't say the "p" word) in late September. Booked online via Orbitz about 3 weeks prior to the trip and had a quick and painless check in and out. Surprised to be booked in the cabin area (to the left of the main hotel pictured) since it wasn't mentioned in the the booking.

Hotel in general: Nice staff. Cold ice. The hot breakfast included that is in the Acadia Cafe across the street is a nice surprise: coffee, juice, eggs, hash browns, waffle maker, yogurts, fruit, bagels - a switch up on the hot options day-to-day and a very nice morning crew to keep the goods coming. Quiet location. Easy walk to Main St in Bar Harbor without the hassle of having to park. Other guests were families, couples, retirees, local and foreign. There's a pool? Missed that!

Cabins/Birch Hill Units: Located a bit off the main intersection and set back from the road maybe 70ft (1 minute walk to the hotel, if even). There are (5-20) stairs to get up into each unit (ranging from 2-4 connected). Woods in the back, shady setting all around and your own porch with a couple chairs in front. Bonus Adirondacks on the lawn for maximum leisure. Didn't hear the neighbors on either side (room 313) so they were quiet or I was in the loud room (unlikely)! King bed, TV, mini fridge, microwave ("light cooking"), small safe, AC, lounge chair, desk and chair and small bathroom. Bed was comfy, HBO was a nice addition, bathroom was a bit tight (had to close the door so not to set off the fire alarm -- steamy!).

Overall: If you don't want to spend a fortune to stay in the area, but want to be walkable to the delights of Bar Harbor Main St, then this could be the spot for you. More comfortable than camping, but less glamorous than a mint on your pillow, Quality Inn does the job.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!