“I shall return” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bay Meadow Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bay Meadow Cottages
You added Bay Meadow Cottages to your Saves list
126 Old Bar Harbor Road, Bar Harbor, ME 04672   |
Ohio
“I shall return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We just came back from our third vacation in Bar Harbor. We have stayed at Bay Meadows Cottages twice and we were very happy there. We stayed in a quaint cottage. Low tide was a nice time to hike along the rocky beach. The people are friendly and helpful. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Look at the photos on their web site.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Meriden, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is our second year in a row to rent the Ranch house at Bay Meadow. We have been coming to Bar Harbor for several years staying at another set of cottages on Route 3. I got tired of lugging my portable microwave every year plus the a/c didn't work so well so we decided to upgrade. We like to make our own meals on vacation but the cottages we stayed in had kitchenettes that didn't work so well especially without microwaves, decent pots and pans, and kitchen knives.

We stumbled across Bay Meadow in Salsbury Cove, just a few miles from the park entrance. We had a look in the Ranch house and promptly booked it for the following year. ($170 night) Compared to the cottage we stayed in it was a huge upgrade in terms of space, location and amenities. It was the home of the owner who rents it during prime vacation season. Also, the view of the cove across the street is what sold us. It doesn't appear to be swim friendly but I see folks launching kayaks or just sitting on the bench enjoying the view. ( I found out that Maine ocean water is around 59 degrees so swimming would be tough anyway)

The ranch house is quite comfortable with full eat-in kitchen, microwave, breakfast bar with overhead light which is great for doing puzzles, a living room with large tv, and two bedrooms. It has a corner computer desk perfect for my watercolors supplies. It also has - get this - a full size washer and dryer with detergent supplied and last year we brought home CLEAN clothes instead of lots of dirty ones.

This year the owner's added a gas fireplace which takes the chill off on cold rainy days. The bathroom is spacious although the toilet tends to be a bit noisy on refilling. The shower has good water pressure making showering excellent. The furniture is comfortable with a new futon, a sofa and two recliners. We moved the recliners close to the bay window so we had better light to read in the morning.

There are two bedrooms. One with a queen bed and the other has twin beds. The queen bed is firmer than I am used to at home but it is comfortable. I sleep in the queen bedroom and my husband sleeps in the other bedroom- twin bed (he snores). He says the twin bed is comfortable. The queen bedroom has a TV and both bedrooms have good size closets and dressers.

The new owner Annette is a peach. She is pleasant to chat with and she has lots of info on Bar Harbor activities. Also she is very responsive to our needs. Earlier this week the microwave stopped working and she promptly replaced it.

There isn't maid service and we brought our dirty towels to the office to exchange them for clean. This is no big deal to us. The towels are thin but are clean and adequately do their job. There is a dumpster to bring our trash which is right next to the house so no big deal.

All in all we are very pleased with the Ranch Unit at Bay Meadow - we booked it next year for two weeks. One week in Acadia National Park isn't enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kennebunk, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

A friend and I were fortunate to be able to reserve one of the cabins at Bay Meadow at the very last minute this past week. I was very pleased with everything about our short stay. The cabin was exactly what I wanted and expected: reminded me of places I stayed as a kid with my parents back in the 1960s; charming, great location, simple, but more than adequate space, and very nice staff. I would enjoy staying for a week next time I am in the Mt. Desert Island area.

Room Tip: Expect a nice simple cottage to experience the "real" Maine. Don't look for luxury or...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dover
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Spent 4 nights here in July. I stayed here w one other adult. And booked it based on location & the cost of $115/night.

Pros: beds were comfy, water pressure was great, staff is terrific & friendly, cute location.

Cons: shower was so small it was almost unusable. it was not more than 2'x2'. bumped my elbows just trying to raise my hands to wash my hair. One window would not lock. Smelled musty & the bath towels were as teeny as the bathroom itself. I personally only have one bathroom in our household of 5 people that is 4' x 7', so it's not like I'm not used to a small bathroom - but I could touch both walls w my finger tips & I'm 5'6".

To be fair, their web site describes it as " a separate kitchenette with small-refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee percolator, and two burner electric cook-top. Utensils, pans, dishes, and glasses are provided." So be sure to read it clearly. coffee PERCOLATOR (think your great-grandmother's coffee maker).

I think next time we'll skip the 'kitchenette' & got for a hotel w a reasonable sized bathroom.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for two nights.We chose this place based on location, and more importantly, price ($115/nt).

When we got there, we were a little surprised at the size of the place - we knew that it'll be small, but we couldn't have imagined that it'll be THIS small. I know closets that are bigger than the entire cottage! The bedroom itself wan't too bad, but the kitchenette and bathrooms were unbearably small. I couldn't use the toilet without squeezing sideways. Granted, I'm taller than most (6'-8"), but this is something I've only experienced in an airplane lavatory. The shower was far to small too.

On the other hand, the location was great and the grounds were lovely. The service was fantastic too. We had a great schmooze with the owners in the barn during check-in, discussing everything from local history to politics. They definitely made us feel comfortable and at home.

In the end, we were very pleased. I would recommend this place, as long as you understand the size limitation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
va beach va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed her for 4 nites & have no complaints. It was small but we had enough room for 2 people. The owner could not be any nicer. It was quite and 5 min. from Bar Harbor.We did not have any smells in the house. We were glad we didn't stay in town because the cruise ships bring a lot of people in on the shuttles and it gets crowded & noisey. We were happy with it. There was enough pots & pans etc to cook with. You had to go to the office to get the pot to cook the lobster but that was okay.
If you go & want lobster go to the Down East Lobster Pound 1192 Bar Harbor Rd. good prices.

Room Tip: We rented the 2 bedroom house
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Please read all of the POOR reviews because they are correct. The picture is very decieving!!
The "Cottages" are very small, old, poorly supplied and i would not call a sink+toaster a kitchenette...
The bathroom was approx 6' x 5' and the shower was a dirty little plastic cube.
Also, we tried to cancel because of Huricane Irene but they insisted on keeping our $50 deposit, not good customer service.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Bay Meadow Cottages? Share your experiences!