“Always a great stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hanscom's Motel & Cottages

Hanscom's Motel & Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Hanscom's Motel & Cottages
Save Saved
You added Hanscom's Motel & Cottages to your Saves list
273 ME-3, Bar Harbor, ME   |
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Bar Harbor
“Always a great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I've stayed at Hanscom's every season of the year and I can assure you that no matter the season, a stay at Hanscom's will be wonderful!

The rooms are clean and comfortable and depending on which cottage you rent, they come with a stove top, microwave, refrigerator, and all utensils, too! And they even have WiFi! AMAZING! The rooms really feel like home and I couldn't ask for anything more.

Every time I have talked with the owners (about re-arranging my arrival days!), they've been very pleasant.

I love the fact that they accept pets. It was very hard to find a clean cabin that would allow this.

I used to stay at the Bar Harbor Inn until I found Hanscom's. I honestly feel more comfortable at Hanscom's and the prices are perfect! I can't say enough good things about them!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, I would recommend staying in the higher-numbered cottages because they a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Neat, clean room with everything we needed in it. Very roomy. Plenty of room for two adults and two med.-sized dogs. Loved the little Keurig coffee machine.

It isn't within walking distance of town, which would have been nice, but we knew that when we reserved. Only negative about the room is the tiny shower. I'm 5'1 and my elbows banged the sides. Would be nice to have something in or near the shower to put toiletries on.

Still we would consider staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Spent 3 nights with my husband. We are couple in mid 40's who enjoy the outdoors. Room was amazingly clean. Bed comfy and topped with a homey quilt. Kitchen had everything. Love that they recycle! Worried when we arrived that may be loud since had adjoining room but never heard the neighbors. WiFi was a little spotty but owners reset modem and seemed to help. Beach ie rocky shore was a enjoyable walk through quiet neighborhood. Beautiful view. Wish we could have brought our dogs but loved meeting the other lodger's dogs. Pool was clean but a little chilly for a dip. Loved the outdoor tables and grills. Highly recommend this place. A wonderful bit of Americana.

Room Tip: We had cottage 6
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed in cabins 6 & 7 and I cannot grumble about anything. My in-laws visiting from England loved the place. The rooms were spacious and extremely clean. I agree that the mattress and pillows were somewhat hard but, nothing beats your own bed so, when on vacation, you take what you get. The staff were extremely accommodating. We asked for more coffee and creamers, they happily obliged. One evening, we had bought steaks to cook on the grill. When we went to light the grill, the bottle was empty an so too were the spares. Within 45 minutes, they were replaced with a smile.

For the most part, the wifi worked for us, there was quite a storm one evening which caused a temporary hiatus is signal but it did not cause any issues. All in all, I would highly recommend this to anyone. I preferred being away from the town center and closer to Acadia. Hopefully, we will be back for the fall.

Room Tip: Any cabin from 6 onwards. The lower numbers are closer to the road so you can avoid road noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

My dog, my husband, and I just spent a week in cabin 10.

PROS:

The cabin was centrally located. We were close to Bar Harbor and Acadia and the street next to the cabin made for a nice walk each morning with our dog. However, the beach at the end of the road is covered in only rocks, some with lots of barnacles. Wear sturdy shoes and watch your dog...ours cut her foot then refused to continue her walk.

The room was clean, affordable and obviously dog friendly.

CONS:

The wifi was terrible. When it worked, which wasn't often, the signal was poor.

The mattress was uncomfortable. It seemed OLD...like maybe it should have been replaced 10 years ago.

The biggest con was that, for the entire week, the room felt damp. No setting on the AC could get the dampness out of the air. We'd hang up wet towels and they'd never really feel dry again. We had printouts & a box of cereal that we brought with us and the paper & cereal box were damp after one night in our room.

I'm not sure we'd stay here again.

Stayed August 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The cabins were clean, if not the most spacious! The Hanscomes are very nice. We got the lobster bake one night & it was great.

The beach is a block or two down the road- about a 5 minute walk. You had to climb down to it, but everyone in my family (from 9yo kids to 78yo grandparents) was able to climb down.

It's only a few miles from Bar Harbor, but the main road that you take to get into town is so busy that you wouldn't want to bike on it. There might be a back way- we never asked. Traffic into Bar Harbor was a kind of a pain (we were there at a peak weekend).

We ate the majority of our meals at the picnic tables at Hanscom's. They had 2 large tables and our party of 10 had enough chairs. They had 2 grills, which we made use of. We had gorgeous weather, so this was very enjoyable.

My nephews complained that the pull out couch in cabin 9 was uncomfortable, and the Hanscoms brought out a foam topper. My nephews said it was much better after that.

The pool was nice- the beach there is not a place you can swim.

I would recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cheektowaga, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The cottages here are simply adorable! Clean well maintained grounds. The pool is a pleasant place to relax. The grills and patio tables make a nice touch. The kitchenettes are fully stocked so all you need to do is supply your food! A short walk up the road, about 1/2 mile, takes you to the beach. The ocean is way too cold to swim here, but scenery is fantastic! The prices are extremely reasonable and it's a short drive to Mainely BBQ and Bar harbor!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hanscom's Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!